1 2 3
Murphy
Murphy New Reader
5/8/13 7:55 p.m.

Supercar shootout! If you had to choose between, 240z, 260z, first gen RX7 and first or second gen Miata, which would you pick and why?

-Nick Murphy

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/8/13 8:00 p.m.

For what purpose?

I'd personally go with a Datsun because I have both generations of Miata as well as 3 other Mazdas at the moment. Time to try something new.

Those Z cars are also iconic.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
5/8/13 8:06 p.m.

240z just because they're cooler than the others, that arguably inferior in most performance areas.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Reader
5/8/13 8:08 p.m.

I am weird in I like the 260Z more than the 240. Maybe because my neighbor owned one growing up. I would go there. I've done the miata's already and rx7's just don't light my fire.

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
5/8/13 8:10 p.m.

Purpose is just to have fun. Dont have to take in daily driver consideration or any boring stuff like that . Just on the fun scale...

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
5/8/13 8:23 p.m.

A done up 240 or 260 is much more of a head turner than the other ones. That makes it more fun when you're not trying to haul ass in it.

I vote for the Datsuns.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/8/13 8:24 p.m.

For a cool fun project the Z, for a low maintenance painless car to drive hard and beat on - Miata

Adrift
Adrift New Reader
5/8/13 8:58 p.m.

I'll take the convertible.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/8/13 9:03 p.m.

240z because beautiful.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
5/8/13 9:07 p.m.

First gen rx7 1979 with handcrank windows and no sunroof.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/8/13 9:34 p.m.

If just purely for fun, the Datsun all the way.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
5/8/13 9:46 p.m.

84-85 RX7 GSL-SE. Still my favorite car that I have ever owned.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
5/9/13 12:11 a.m.

RX7 is a fun car to drive and love the simplicity and coolness of that rotary. The Miata is even more better than either.

kanaric
kanaric New Reader
5/9/13 1:58 a.m.

280z and remove all the fatness from it. Refuse to drive a 4-speed car again.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/9/13 4:07 a.m.

z for the win. of course I'm biased but it's probly the one car that I just can't see myself selling. like kanaric said, go for the 280, swap out the bumpers and turn heads all day. you will also have quite a reliable classic. Mine has seen many, many miles and track days with minimum upkeep. take it a step further with a hopped up 6, LSD and MS. . . too much fun, I guarantee. 12 hrs from home, never misses a beat. forget the miata, forget the rotary, this is the one you want.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/9/13 4:46 a.m.

I've owned a fantastic '93 Miata that I loved dearly. It was a great car and was extremely reliable and fun to drive. When the time came to clean out my garage and focus on just one car, it was an easy decision to sell the Miata in favor of my rusty '75 280Z.

The Datsun has been sorely neglected over the last 10 years, handles horribly on the blown out stock suspension and generally looks like crap with visible rust perforation but it speaks to me like the Miata never did. Even looking and sounding like crap, it turns so many heads and starts so many conversations with strangers. It just feels so good to be out driving in an iconic car like that, warts and all.

That's my thoughts

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
5/9/13 5:14 a.m.

as i stated before the early rx7. i have a 1985 and would like to replace it with a 79. i also have a 240z both are good examples and both get the looks.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/9/13 6:52 a.m.

I've owned multiples of all three, and the 240Z wins by a mile....at least in my opinion. The sound of the motor alone is worth the admission, and on track it feels alive, if a bit of a workout. The Mata is the better tool but I love the 240.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
5/9/13 7:01 a.m.

Early 240Z with a five speed by a long shot.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/9/13 7:19 a.m.

That's a pretty wide range of vintages. Obviously, the Miata will be the easiest to find in good condition. A nice 240Z is going to be the hardest. If I was looking for a fun driver, I would choose the RX-7, particularly the aforementioned 84-85 GSL-SE, but I may be biased.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/9/13 7:22 a.m.

240Z probably but I do love the first gen RX7.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
5/9/13 7:45 a.m.

260... . . Or (and I don't know why) But I really really liked my 280 ZX Turbo.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/9/13 8:20 a.m.

I have been in everything but the 1st gen RX7.

While the 240/60/80 is a beautiful car to behold and listen to. And the performance is still stunning when cleaned up of all the crapping emissions, I just cannot stand the dashboard on those cars. My father had a beautiful 260 and the dashboard (and aftermarket sunroof) were the two things I hated the most about that car. Unfortunately, you have to look at the dash all day long.

Because it is new to me, I would take the RX7

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
5/9/13 8:36 a.m.

Check out this article. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/grudge-match/

As you can see (thats my car) I am biased but would choose a 1st gen RX-7 (I've had about half a dozen) particularly a GSL-SE or 79-80 depending on which body style you like. I would just freshen the suspension install a good set of headers and exhaust and be done with it. In fact thats the plan on the 79 RX-7 I have.

I spent a bit of time driving the Classic Motorsports Z. With the 5 speed it made a decent ride from Atlanta back to Daytona. The rear was noisy and clunky and the shift action was not as smooth or precise as the RX-7 (later units). On the Ocala test track I didn't much care for the steering feel (very heavy and felt like it was fighting you). The motor pulled well and with plenty of tq. The Z certainly feels older (it is) and more "special" than the RX-7. You will get more looks and comments.

Miatas are good cars will handle better and likely be more reliable and in better condition. I don't care for the looks or motor but it undoubtedly has the best chassis and potential of the bunch.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
5/9/13 9:10 a.m.

I love the 79-80 rx7 body style, it took a while but its grown on me and the 240z is just timeless. That would be an impossible decision for me to choose between the two. but I def wouldn't choose the miata in this scenario, different 'category' IMHO.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B5N082QGLfVObCarxb7oPtVZvmtzBsiHbQiDlQKJsiAtITOOjtTBLXayJw6J3aaO