1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/26/23 3:22 p.m.
CrashDummy said:

Has there been any progress on understanding and solving the issues with engine failures in the Gen2 cars? I know there were issues with clogged oil intakes (solved on newer builds?) but then I also saw some stuff about dangerously low oil pressure in sweepers. What's the latest? 

Well, to be fair, there have been VERY few engine failures compared to the number of cars sold. And I suspect a lot of it is down to driving habits, since we are seeing shops doing TT's with these cars and throwing down much quicker lap times than the few amateurs who have blown their engines. We also don't know in those cases what oil change intervals were, were they low on oil, etc. Some guys are resorting to overfilling the sump by 1/2-3/4 of quart and the data showed it helps.

People are experimenting with baffles and I think another is in the process of installing an Accusump. I know Terry at Vorshlag recently did some oil psi logging, but I don't' remember the exact numbers. Most are slso running thicker oil vs the 0w-20 from the factory. 

Another tester showed the Jackson Racing dual cooler causing a much larger pressure drop than a standalone oil cooler as well. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/27/23 1:41 p.m.

The latest is that overfills help the most so far in 2.4L engines, there hasn't been much luck getting improvement with a baffle yet, strangely:

You should be sure to put a standalone oil-air cooler on any Toyobaru and bump oil viscosity to at least 5W30 which is what the manual recommends for severe use. 0W20 is OK for street or autocross use but nothing more.

The FA20 engine has its own problems as well. On top of the same super-high oil temp issue, the stock pickup is restrictive at high RPMs so you should get an aftermarket high-flow pickup from Killer B, that will also improve the AVCS synchronization between heads. I would recommend a baffle plate and overfill as well for good measure. You can get away with an 0.25qt-0.5qt overfill on an FA20 without a baffle, maybe even more with one.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/27/23 3:03 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Has anyone been able to get ahold of the GR86 Cup baffles yet? I wonder if they are significantly different to Tomei and a few others currently available. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/28/23 1:06 a.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

When did $30k become affordable?

I like the Gen 2 car, but the price is beyond my means.

I can buy a GR Corolla for about $800 per month, or lease one for $450 or so.  Allegedly, anyway.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/28/23 2:27 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

From what I've found the GR86 Cup cars don't all have the same baffle solution, but the most common is this STi oil pan:

https://www.rhdjapan.com/sti-baffle-plate-equipped-oil-pan-brz-zd8-gr86-zn8.html

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/29/23 5:00 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Interesting, I thought it was a spec class? I would have figured all the engine stuff would have been the same as well.

I'm very tempted next year to do a full exhaust, drop the pan and do a baffle, and do a flex fuel kit and tune. ~240-245whp with a ripping UEL header would be a lot of fun.

BobbySmith1953
BobbySmith1953 New Reader
3/21/24 1:45 p.m.

Didn't see any comments or anything in the video about the factory over using gasket sealer that's been known to clog the oil pickup and destroy engines.

fminicooper
fminicooper New Reader
3/21/24 6:06 p.m.

Here with a 2016 FRS, looks a station wagon compare to my friends NDs Miatas.

Both totally different driving styles, both achieve the same joy while driving at the track.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/21/24 11:58 p.m.

Was looking for this thread the other day, there's an update on the FA24 oil starvation issue:

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/22/24 9:03 a.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
myusdmcavalier said:

It really is the last of the affordable rwd sports cars, shame they'll explode in price in the near future.

Don't forget the ND3 Miata :)

I have yet to drive or sit in an 86/etc but I can definitely say that I will never drive an ND because I can barely sit in one.  I tried two different examples.

I have all the sad.  The ND looks awesome on paper, the reviews are glowing.

I'm actually a little afraid to try an 86.

Well, I'm about 6 foot tall and with a helmet, I JUST fit into the ND Miata. The GR86/BRZ twins have a little more space, although I'm not sure how much more. Just give it a try, they're all great cars.

I'm 6'4", with a long torso. The GR86/BRZ is quite tight for me. However, if you fit, a lot of people love them.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/13/24 10:38 a.m.

Mrs Frog and i just completed a 1,900 mile road trip to see the eclipse in the gen2 GR86.  Still very happy with the car, and somewhat amazed how happy we are with it when used for touring.  We've done something like 14,000 miles in the last 10 months.  Loved carving mountain roads in Arkansas.

Almost as happy with this GR86 as nsxmr2elises2000 is with his NSX.  smiley

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/13/24 12:42 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

At a bit over 6'1" with a long torso I already feel like I'm near the limits of what Toyobaru headroom can accommodate with a helmet, they have plenty of legroom though so if you're tall with long legs and a shorter torso they could be a good fit.

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 HalfDork
4/13/24 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

If you're tracking it, don't. I really considered one but after speaking to a couple experts and soliciting GRM opinions, the bottom end oiling design is so poor that a bottom end failures is an inevitability with track time. Oil heats up and viscosity drops and the bearing tolerances open up and eventually you just don't have enough pressure and spin bearings. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/13/24 11:01 p.m.

In reply to Evanuel9 :

It's not yet clear that engine failure is a certainty, but most people tracking Toyobarus are effectively still early adopters testing the engine's longevity in hard use, and there are definitely no guarantees. The engine comes from the factory ready to destroy itself on track in a few different ways (oil temperature/level/pump restriction/viscosity) that need to be addressed with aftermarket mods. If mine gets to the end of its 5th year of track use and the engine still looks healthy then I'll think I've beaten the odds.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/14/24 12:46 a.m.

I still love mine. I have a 2013 I bought brand new. I am fastidious about maintenance, and take it to track days several times each year in addition to using it as a daily driver.

I don't have an oil cooler, I didn't get the valve springs replaced, and I don't run thicker oil...and I've had zero engine problems.

I do try to follow a few guidelines. I change oil frequently and use high quality oil and filters. I drive very gently until the oil is up to temperature. I monitor oil levels and make sure it stays full, and I have an OBD gauge I leave set on oil temp to monitor. I always use premium fuel. I try my hardest to never tag the rev limiter. I give it an Italian tune-up (full-throttle acceleration, upshift a little shy of redline) on a freeway on ramp at least once a week. So far, so good. It is a sample size of one, but my experience doesn't match with the "can't track the car or it'll blow up" reputation.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vSfwoXiY3j6ggHEQZfOP9KvxP8MFu0ibezjx2TNyZRnHiIUW6fBIstasrstxjoxv