Markde
Markde New Reader
9/19/13 5:15 p.m.

Got a line on one that supposedly needs an engine. Seller wants $300. Looks clean in pictures, is a 5-speed, and only has 114k.

If it does in fact need an engine, (not sold on that) what are my options? I'm on a very limited time table as I am moving in 2-3 weeks.

My interest mostly stems from the fact that I've been looking for this exact car all summer and it's right down the road. I don't have a lot of experience with saturns but everything I've read (mostly here) makes them sound pretty much perfect for a dd/autox car.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
9/19/13 8:23 p.m.

All Saturn's need engines.... some need them more than others.

Seriously, All Saturn S series cars will burn oil. Sometimes they burn all the oil in the crankcase and the motor seizes up or spins a bearing.

If you can deal with the oil burning issue, Saturns are cheap to own.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
9/19/13 8:36 p.m.

Watch for rust, especially the sub frame. They look nice because of the plastic body panels, but underneath is still metal that rusts. It just hidden.

I've seen a couple that the sub frame was rotten right where the lower control arm attaches. Check there first.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/19/13 9:10 p.m.

engine swaps are not exactly a treat on these cars. For the money though, it's a compelling deal. Should still own the end product for less than a four digit number. That's called winning.

Markde
Markde New Reader
9/19/13 9:15 p.m.

Passed on it,

Car turned over but made some awful noises. Still a clean car/good deal but I've already got a full plate. If anyone near poughkeepsie is interested I can forward the sellers #.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DfPw9UdJq1Y99Gfprl8B1PkTgyTTQeh8upM7p9gUQVTPS6jpFrJ1RIyp3wVnDace