1 2 3
SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/17/09 4:17 p.m.

Best yard art ever, water it every so often and enjoy!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/17/09 4:44 p.m.

Multiple people have done MS and documented the process. Is it white? If so you have the easiest challenge paint job in the world that gets you quite possibly the coolest theme car ever. (Group 44)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/17/09 5:52 p.m.

If you do not take it, (on bended knee) I will....pleeeaasee

ZOO
ZOO Dork
12/17/09 7:06 p.m.

One of the best looking cars of the 1970's, IMHO.

Rob

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
12/17/09 7:53 p.m.

You should get it. . .That's what you should do. . . worry about the details later

924guy
924guy Dork
12/17/09 9:38 p.m.

I had to cut down the tree (yes, i said TREE) growing through the hood of my xj6 in order to drag it out of the spot it had been sitting in for umpteen years. after a thorough cleaning, tune up, carbs rebuild, and banishing some lucas, it started right up and i drove it over a year before the tranny imploded upon itself. I wouldve been much happier if it were an xjs...

based on that, id say if there isnt a tree growing through it, its probably a keeper...

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
12/17/09 9:46 p.m.

If there is a tree growing through it, make sure it's a cash crop.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 HalfDork
12/17/09 10:11 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Locost.

WIN!

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
12/17/09 10:54 p.m.
MiatarPowar wrote: Just take the damned thing. You can figure out what to do with it later.

exactly

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
12/18/09 10:28 a.m.

I saw someone running an XJS V12 at LeMons. Sounded and looked cool

marktmv
marktmv New Reader
12/18/09 11:35 a.m.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Jaguar.html - read "The Book" and then evaluate if it's worth the time and effort...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
12/18/09 11:44 a.m.
marktmv wrote: http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Jaguar.html - read "The Book" and then evaluate if it's worth the time and effort...

Wow, what a resource. Amazing find!!!

I may never forgive my father, he used to own a 3.6L 5speed XJS Cabrio, not convertible. The one with the targa bar, lift off roof panels and a fold down rear soft top. Two tone silver and gray interior. It had a full TWR body kit on it and was the ex press demo car. He had a minor accident in it around 93-94 and got in a pissing match with the insurance company. The car ended up sitting in a damp garage for 10 years until it was in a poor state of repair. I seriously considered importing it from the UK to here, but it was just too far gone. The whole car would have needed rebuilding to do it right. He sold it for pennies on the pound compared with what it should have been worth. Ahh well, too late now.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
1/16/10 10:24 p.m.

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but if anyone in the Detroit area is looking for an XJS, here's a sweet looking one, with a parts car, for $3500 (it was too expensive to post in the $2010 classifieds, so I put it here instead).

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/1552353490.html

XJS's with side pipes just look bad ass. It's times like this I'm pissed I quit my engineering job and went back to school. Although, what's another $3500 in debt....

Bob

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/16/10 10:40 p.m.

Tooooooo expensive. A running V12 car should be sub $2k no matter where you are (and you should buy one )

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/17/10 2:18 a.m.
Schmidlap wrote: http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/1552353490.html

I love this. "Serious Inquiries Only", from the guy who put sidepipes on a Jaguar XJS.

ZOO
ZOO Dork
1/17/10 7:28 a.m.

I think the moment that I realized I was GRM to the core came when I was around 12 years old (mid-eighties), when I went from thinking 350 powered XJ6s were a crime against nature to recognizing that they made the car BETTER, and that's what mattered.

I was going to say when I "jumped the shark", but that suggests a negative result. So does "crossed over to the dark side". GRM to the core is the best I could do. I can't think of a better description. Maybe I'll start a thread in off-topic.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy New Reader
1/17/10 9:29 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: ... and alltogether now: "There is nothing more expensive than a free Jaguar"

Stole my line.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/17/10 10:20 a.m.

So, what happened? Did you get it or forget about it? Tell us all.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/17/10 12:32 p.m.

The car is two hours away and isn't going anywhere. I may go get it in the spring, but I'm not in any kind of hurry.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/30/10 4:57 p.m.

Update:

I got to look at the car today. It's black, an '88, and sitting on four flat tires and sunk to the hubs in mud. The body is surprisingly straight but rust is starting on the rockers and bottoms of the doors. The owner claims it was a rust free car when it was parked 8ish years ago and I believe him. The interior is completely trashed. The sunroof isn't closed all the way and moss and mold is growing on most of the interior surfaces. It smells terrible. The hood and doors open, the engine is all there and it apparently drove to it's final resting place without any mechanical issue. It really looks like someone just parked it there and forgot about it.

The biggest issue will be getting the car out of the ground and my trailer anywhere near it. The guy lives down a rather long, heavily rutted, narrow, and hilly gravel/mud road. I'm not sure I'll be able to get my enclosed trailer even halfway down this road. Even if I can get near it the wheels have sunk so far into the ground it's gonna be a nightmare to move.

Oh yeah, pics:

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/30/10 4:58 p.m.

That water on the windshield is on the inside. It's like a terrarium in there

alex
alex Dork
1/30/10 5:07 p.m.

That is a sad state of affairs right there.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
1/30/10 5:19 p.m.

For free, I'd take it.

pres589
pres589 Reader
1/30/10 5:48 p.m.

I bet you can only see about 15% of the rust that's actually in that car.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
1/30/10 5:58 p.m.

Wow. I can't imagine the electrical problems that car will have with that much interior water. I imagine that the entire interior will have to be replaced right down to bare metal. For free though I would still take it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jjEnqYBbOGSUhcNrJaiFarAB3M9nGSg3FcY0sSdzWTZyxd4qnKYb1pn30FqGnLjz