1 2 3
caropepe
caropepe New Reader
8/20/12 10:18 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Yup! Jeff's is an awesome car in flat black, and it's probably one of the best sorted cars out there.

Of course, I'm partial to black myself - Buttonwillow last summer:

VP2_4161

Joe

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
8/21/12 6:20 a.m.
caropepe wrote: The red bodies are a lot nicer than the old black bodies. This one looks really good compared to how mine (#6385 from 2007) started.

My FFR was #2479, built in 2001. I remember seeing unfinished bodies then and hearing how much work it took to clean them up and make them look good. But like dculberson said, FFRs aren't really the "show queens" of Cobra replicas. They're intended to be driven, and hard.

And to the person who asked about if it's blasphemy to buy one already built, personally I say no it's not. That's how I bought mine. Don't have anywhere near the skills (or time) to build one myself. I had no shame in buying an already built car.

Here's me at Pocono, circa 2003 or 2004.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/21/12 8:11 a.m.
yamaha wrote: DISCONTINUED SPYDER > all other factory five cars

FTFY

It looks so much better with no top, and a better tail end. This was the one I wanted, now it's gone.

dj06482
dj06482 HalfDork
8/21/12 9:14 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: And to the person who asked about if it's blasphemy to buy one already built, personally I say no it's not. That's how I bought mine. Don't have anywhere near the skills (or time) to build one myself. I had no shame in buying an already built car.

I agree with Klayfish. In addition to his comments, it's often better to buy one that's been put together by someone else for economic reasons. I've often seen these cars change hands for less than the builder has paid for the kit + parts alone. This means that in addition to getting a good deal on the kit + cost of parts, all the hours to put it together are essentially free when you're buying one used. With that said, I'd want to make sure that the person building it knew what they were doing

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/21/12 11:59 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
yamaha wrote: DISCONTINUED SPYDER > all other factory five cars
FTFY It looks so much better with no top, and a better tail end. This was the one I wanted, now it's gone.

that's pretty.....

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/21/12 12:37 p.m.
dj06482 wrote:
Klayfish wrote: And to the person who asked about if it's blasphemy to buy one already built, personally I say no it's not. That's how I bought mine. Don't have anywhere near the skills (or time) to build one myself. I had no shame in buying an already built car.
I agree with Klayfish. In addition to his comments, it's often better to buy one that's been put together by someone else for economic reasons. I've often seen these cars change hands for less than the builder has paid for the kit + parts alone. This means that in addition to getting a good deal on the kit + cost of parts, all the hours to put it together are essentially free when you're buying one used. With that said, I'd want to make sure that the person building it knew what they were doing

One advantage is with it being a Factory Five, the chassis came all welded up. So at least that part isn't gonna be screwed up unless someone was cutting on it.

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
8/21/12 5:05 p.m.
caropepe wrote: In reply to pres589: Yup! Jeff's is an awesome car in flat black, and it's probably one of the best sorted cars out there...

Joe! I don't think I've seen your car since paint---looks great!

Mine's not exactly flat black. It's a brushed effect satin (kind of reminiscent of the aluminum bodied Kirkhams) with gloss black stripes. The intensity of the brushed look changes with lighting from very apparent in bright sun:

To less so in lower light:

I agree with some of the posters who lust after the extinct Spyder. Sadly it didn't get fully developed when the company focus and resourses shifted to the higher profile GTM. I always thought that since it didn't replicate anything the Spyder was a perfect platform for a less conventional powerplant like a high tech European or Japanese straight 6 or a silky smooth Lexus or Infiniti V8. I know there have to be a few languishing in garages that are either barely started or completely unstarted. Maybe someday I'll find one that someone wants to get rid of...

Jeff

mblommel
mblommel Reader
8/21/12 5:29 p.m.
pres589 wrote: To me, these cars simply look the business in black, more than almost any other car. I also like the fairly discrete take on side pipes done here. If I'm honest I prefer "normal" exhaust on these cars but you get the idea; http://www.autoblog.com/photos/shelby-cobras-at-the-pebble-beach-2012/#photo-5220371

+1,000

Make my FF black with possible side pipe delete. Seems like buying a built one is the smart way to do it, but you'd have check the build over thoroughly.

plance1
plance1 Dork
8/21/12 10:43 p.m.

holy crap car guy why not complain about the cheap interior plastics while ur at it

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
8/22/12 7:22 a.m.
JKleiner wrote: To less so in lower light: Jeff

Jeff, would you happen to have a desktop friendly hi-res version of this you would be willing to share?

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
8/22/12 8:00 a.m.
JKleiner wrote:
caropepe wrote: In reply to pres589: Yup! Jeff's is an awesome car in flat black, and it's probably one of the best sorted cars out there...
Joe! I don't think I've seen your car since paint---looks great! Mine's not exactly flat black. It's a brushed effect satin (kind of reminiscent of the aluminum bodied Kirkhams) with gloss black stripes. The intensity of the brushed look changes with lighting from very apparent in bright sun: To less so in lower light: I agree with some of the posters who lust after the extinct Spyder. Sadly it didn't get fully developed when the company focus and resourses shifted to the higher profile GTM. I always thought that since it didn't replicate anything the Spyder was a perfect platform for a less conventional powerplant like a high tech European or Japanese straight 6 or a silky smooth Lexus or Infiniti V8. I know there have to be a few languishing in garages that are either barely started or completely unstarted. Maybe someday I'll find one that someone wants to get rid of... Jeff

Smoking hot.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
8/22/12 8:02 a.m.

For someone who asked upthread, it looks like these cars go from $20K-50K ish used. I have read that some new builds run $100K +.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
8/22/12 10:06 a.m.
fastEddie wrote:
JKleiner wrote: To less so in lower light: Jeff
Jeff, would you happen to have a desktop friendly hi-res version of this you would be willing to share?

Yes please. That is one of the coolest FF shots I've ever seen. Please share the hi-res version!

The0retical
The0retical Reader
8/22/12 12:36 p.m.
Teggsan wrote: For someone who asked upthread, it looks like these cars go from $20K-50K ish used. I have read that some new builds run $100K +.

I know guys that have built these, really nice versions, for 30k. You just have to be willing to source a donor car instead of going the all new with all the bells and whistles.

Even the GTM with an LS7 all new will run you under 70k.

JKleiner: That's a seriously cool picture.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/22/12 12:53 p.m.
JKleiner wrote: Mine's not exactly flat black. It's a brushed effect satin (kind of reminiscent of the aluminum bodied Kirkhams) with gloss black stripes. The intensity of the brushed look changes with lighting from very apparent in bright sun:

That is very, very pretty. Great job on the finish, I love it.

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
8/23/12 5:16 a.m.
fastEddie wrote: Jeff, would you happen to have a desktop friendly hi-res version of this you would be willing to share?

Thanks for the comments guys! Here's the deal on pics; an autocross buddy is a freelance pro photographer and asked if he could do a magazine style photoshoot on my car to add to his portfolio. Said he wanted something "kind of dark and gritty" for the car and chose the old warehouse district as a backdrop. I think they came out pretty cool! He has the super high res images available for purchase if anyone is interested but I'll add a few of my favorites in a lower res format that you are free to download. Just right click then hit "properties" and save.

Check out some of AJ's other work; he's very talented (how about a staff photographer Suddards?) aaronjphotography

Oh, and just so nobody gets the idea that the car just sits for still photos rest assured that it gets the snot run out of it!

Cheers,

Jeff

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
8/23/12 5:43 a.m.

So in what light does it look like brushed aluminum, and how did you achieve that effect? It looks flat black to me in all the pics except that one. When I was a kid my friends dad had a Cobra that he had put together from two race cars. It was bare aluminum, and ever since then that's the way I like to see them.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
8/23/12 7:29 a.m.

So your freelance buddy hasn't heard of watermarks and the concept of seeding some sample hi-res shots to make their way around the 'net like business cards? Even smaller 1680x1050 files would do the job.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
8/23/12 7:53 a.m.

In reply to JKleiner:

Maybe I missed it, but what mill are you running in that thing?

dj06482
dj06482 HalfDork
8/23/12 8:33 a.m.

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
8/24/12 7:46 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to JKleiner: Maybe I missed it, but what mill are you running in that thing?

Nothing exotic, just an injected Windsor. I built it with forged pistons and rods, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, Track Heat intake, Stage 1 cam and roller rockers, etc. Running an A9L computer with larger injectors, throttle body, MAF and pump.

Jeff

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
8/24/12 8:10 a.m.
JKleiner wrote:
fastEddie wrote: Jeff, would you happen to have a desktop friendly hi-res version of this you would be willing to share?
Thanks for the comments guys! Here's the deal on pics; an autocross buddy is a freelance pro photographer and asked if he could do a magazine style photoshoot on my car to add to his portfolio. Said he wanted something "kind of dark and gritty" for the car and chose the old warehouse district as a backdrop. I think they came out pretty cool! He has the super high res images available for purchase if anyone is interested but I'll add a few of my favorites in a lower res format that you are free to download. Just right click then hit "properties" and save. Check out some of AJ's other work; he's very talented (how about a staff photographer Suddards?) aaronjphotography Cheers, Jeff

Email to AJ sent!

dj06482
dj06482 HalfDork
8/24/12 12:48 p.m.

My favorite wasn't in the main gallery for your car, but thanks for the new desktop!

wspohn
wspohn Reader
8/24/12 2:53 p.m.

I'd take an FF coupe over all ther wannabe Cobra roadsters, but it wouldn't have any boy racer numbers or stripes, and no tail spoiler - just a nice paint job and the knock off alloy wheels. They look really nice when they aren't made up as pretend racers - and no disrespect to the many guys that actually compete with their coupes - you get to deck them out any way you like. I'm talking about what I'd like for the street.

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
8/24/12 3:59 p.m.

i always wonder if someone made a kit of the 289 cobra... With the narrow body?

Joey

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AnV04hxOhQJzAKiNW9WXxh408xBuPekT7rISrpobPtb76YdGvvhIVxpWATo8XFG6