Markde
Markde New Reader
3/3/13 3:51 p.m.

Odd car question that I figured you all may have some insight on.

Last October I bought a $500 96 Sentra that needed a water pump. Original plan was as a crappy beater to save my Volvo 240 daily from the salty months ahead.

Long story short I got a job in South Carolina and before leaving with the Volvo sold the Nissan to a random guy on a Harley who stopped by. Said he needed a car to drive for when it snows/rains, gave me $800, and left with the keys and title.

I left for SC about 2 weeks later and the guy had not picked up the car. I wasn't too concerned as A: The car was parked in what is essentially a spare parking lot at my parents place. B: I've flipped a number of cars and people never seem as eager as I am to pick up they're new purchases.

Well I am returning home next week and according to my father the car is still there. .

The title was never transferred to my name. I almost ALWAYS title cars and pay the tax but really had little choice at the time.

The PO was essentially homeless and likely impossible to track down. I don't even know the buyers name, let alone a phone number.

WWGMD???

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
3/3/13 4:09 p.m.

I would report it abandoned and be done with the whole thing.

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
3/3/13 4:50 p.m.

Demo-derby, duh.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
3/3/13 4:58 p.m.

yep. unless you want the Sentra back (why??) roll it into the street and have it towed as abandoned.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
3/3/13 5:33 p.m.

Car is parked in a parking lot(?) I wouldn't do anything. If it's in the way, roll it into the street.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/3/13 5:41 p.m.

you took your tags off? My Father went through this years ago with an MGB-GT he sold to a girl. Six months later, he gets a call from one of the local towns. They found the car abandoned and wanted money for towing and storage.

It was still in my Dad's name. Thankfully he had a receipt of sale.

He almost paid the fees to get it back.. but went to see the car and it had been trashed within an inch of it's life. Even the gages were broken

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
3/3/13 5:44 p.m.

Maybe the Harley dude went home, removed the clip-on ponytail, and, remembering that he was actually a dentist, decided that he had no need for such a proletarian manner of conveyance.

Markde
Markde New Reader
3/3/13 6:21 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD:

Ha, I was thinking more along the lines he of went to jail, died, or some combination.

Its actually just a very large driveway, the car will need to go either way as when I'm home I use this driveway and the adjacent shack/garage. Anyway, the smartest option seems to be report it abandoned and call it done.

I was sort of hoping there would be a way to get some value out of this running heap that I've essentially been storing all winter....

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
3/3/13 6:24 p.m.

This is why you scan the completed title before handing it over. Its actually a law in MI.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/3/13 7:27 p.m.

You might also see if the title is still in your name. If so, pull a duplicate and you could sell it again.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/3/13 7:32 p.m.

Crush it. Anything older than 15 years in MN doesn't need a title. Or donate it.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
3/3/13 7:34 p.m.

If I read correctly, he jumped title.

Markde
Markde New Reader
3/3/13 7:53 p.m.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv37.pdf

Seems like I should be able to get scrap $ out of it. Just hope one these guys doesn't show up at my door some day.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ov00RrHLnKU/T0UmktROFtI/AAAAAAAAAZ0/PFV_RhvTVTE/s1600/biker+gangs+gas+prices+dr+heckle+funny+fail+photos.jpg

Brian
Brian SuperDork
3/4/13 5:08 p.m.

file a storage lien on it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rWmyUTS4vSMdM5jVbVqMWsW4MrZAmycvdBNYh1pLGvn7oMYZx8PxIGkpFwAFrazf