1 2
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/26/21 10:56 a.m.
docwyte said:

$24,500 was  basically what they cost brand new.  This one has 142k miles on it and the seller thinks it's worth than brand new cost.  Crazy.

$24,500 in 1999 dollars is over $38K today.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/26/21 2:52 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Sigh.  My point is they want new money for a car with 142k miles.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/27/21 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Having sold cars at auction, I'm fine with a car going unsold. If our wagon didn't make reserve, we figured that we'd keep it. We had a minimum number in our head and wanted to top it. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/27/21 11:29 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Having sold cars at auction, I'm fine with a car going unsold. If our wagon didn't make reserve, we figured that we'd keep it. We had a minimum number in our head and wanted to top it. 

I understand it logically, and I have no issue with a reasonable reserve as insurance. But my point was if you're selling a car on BAT and it doesn't make your reserve, you're either delusional about the car's value, or you're not seriously trying to sell.

I also understand 'fishing for suckers', and that's what it feels like to me anytime a car doesn't make reserve at a quality auction. Oh, you're only willing to sell for 20% more than what the auction just established as the market value? how nice. I have lots of stuff I'm willing to sell for 20% more than market value. 

Maybe that opinion makes me an ahole. who knows. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6t7xMcgvAIXb6wPrSCg2mvbk5KQryCTrac2JNtgl3bZ2NDaUsgB3emlhS5u9coOo