93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/14/11 8:39 p.m.

What is the best way to tell if the alignment of a vehicle is off due to an accident? The title says clean. I know that doesn't mean really anything. Could I get under the car and figure it out?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 New Reader
2/14/11 10:37 p.m.

I would start by checking how all the tires are worn (if there have been enough miles put on them since the accident). Usually, if the alignment is out in any significant way the tires will show really uneven wear. Other than that, you could inspect the visible parts of the frame and suspension for any damage, but that won't necessarily be conclusive. (I think there could be pretty subtle bending of control arms, etc, that won't be clearly visible)

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
2/14/11 10:41 p.m.

Crossmeasure common points. No way should they be "off" more then 1/16 to 1/8".

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/14/11 10:45 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Crossmeasure common points. No way should they be "off" more then 1/16 to 1/8".

Where would I find that information?

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
2/14/11 10:55 p.m.

You will find it with a tape measure and a pad of paper with some ink or graphite written on it. :) While there are probably some written down somewhere, I find just comparing your measured numbers are good enuff to see if anything is shifted or way off.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/14/11 11:08 p.m.

Ok sounds good. I will get on that this weekend.

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 Reader
2/15/11 2:59 p.m.

Does it pull at all when you drive it, and if it does, are the tires within 3psi left and right of the same axle?

Try to find a alignment shop that checks the alignment for free. The last place I worked at would do free checks for any one. Even if the alignment basics are fixed, there are some other angles that can tell you if and where the bent parts are.

Other then that just a through inspection of whats there. Look at joints in the unibody panels to see signs of movement, separation, wrinkles etc etc.

~Alex

jm3
jm3 New Reader
2/15/11 3:20 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What is the best way to tell if the alignment of a vehicle is off due to an accident? The title says clean. I know that doesn't mean really anything. Could I get under the car and figure it out?

what kind of car and what makes you think something is wrong? Do you just have a suspicion, or is there actual bad behavior. If you just suspect something isnt right, then you have a 95% chance that the Right Front corner has been pushed back from hitting a curb.

JM

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/15/11 3:43 p.m.

The right front tire is wearing strangely and it is a MB E320.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
2/15/11 4:12 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Crossmeasure common points. No way should they be "off" more then 1/16 to 1/8".
Where would I find that information?

Some factory service manuals have it. I am 95% that I have seen dimentional informaiton listed in the manual I have for my Civic. I am not sure about other makes.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/15/11 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Type Q:

I will try to get my hands on it.

jm3
jm3 New Reader
2/15/11 6:00 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: The right front tire is wearing strangely and it is a MB E320.

MB e320 is a tank, plus is incredibly alignable. Lots of camber and caster adjustment, plus toe. I doubt you bent anything, just moved the frame brackets around a little bit.

weak links from oil leaks: lower control arm bushings.

weak links from lots of miles: tie rod ends. maybe lower ball joints after 200K.

Otherwise just rotate the tires and get a FOUR wheel alignment from a reputable shop that has old guys working there.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/15/11 6:03 p.m.

It is a friend's. He is probably selling it soon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PlDsQ0rsEeL99qpIikv2z26NfnJVf6eJQBbApI4nxPtOKTK6O5JymU8qyagf96et