¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
9/1/16 3:15 p.m.

Indeed!

CharlesE
CharlesE New Reader
9/1/16 4:20 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

There are rather thick rubber stripes on the pavement BEFORE he/she parks... How many times was it screwed up before getting it right?

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/1/16 4:32 p.m.
trucke wrote: Oops!

'Splain that one to your insurance company.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
9/1/16 7:25 p.m.

I would have failed my NI/UK drivers test had I not applied the parking brake at every stop sign and I think yield signs too if a car was passing. I know my parking brake.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
9/1/16 7:29 p.m.
CharlesE wrote: In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: There are rather thick rubber stripes on the pavement BEFORE he/she parks... How many times was it screwed up before getting it right?

That's from a parking competition. I use the video in my DE class to introduce parallel parking.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/1/16 10:13 p.m.

I always use my parking brake.. at least the hand activated one. The foot activated one in my mom's rendezvous is a pain to even think about using

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
9/1/16 10:20 p.m.

Pretty sure Anton Yelchin probably wouldn't be dead if using a parking brake was still normal practice, Screwy shifter or not.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/2/16 6:44 a.m.

Wish many of them were more effective.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/2/16 6:52 a.m.

I always use it when driving stick. Only use it on an automatic when working on it.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
9/2/16 7:18 a.m.

With a stick, any time it's parked, the parking brake gets set. With an auto, if I'm working on it or the car is on a hill, it gets set. On flat ground, I generally don't bother.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
9/2/16 10:13 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Wish many of them were more effective.

This. We have a 30+ degree driveway. The parking brake alone on our Fit will hold it securely in place without complaint...The parking brake alone on our RAV4, not so much.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
9/2/16 11:01 a.m.

Always always always. I've tried to teach Mrs.Hoff how to properly set it, but it just won't sink in.

Pull in drievway (25-30* slope), place vehicle in Neutral, set parking brake, release foot brake to settle in to park brake, THEN put it in Park.

keethrax
keethrax Dork
9/2/16 11:05 a.m.
rslifkin wrote: With a stick, any time it's parked, the parking brake gets set. With an auto, if I'm working on it or the car is on a hill, it gets set. On flat ground, I generally don't bother.

While I do exactly the same, I am trying to mend my ways. The downside is a parking brake that doesn't get used often enough is more likely to bite you when it is suddenly needed.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
9/2/16 11:08 a.m.
keethrax wrote:
rslifkin wrote: With a stick, any time it's parked, the parking brake gets set. With an auto, if I'm working on it or the car is on a hill, it gets set. On flat ground, I generally don't bother.
While I do exactly the same, I am trying to mend my ways. The downside is a parking brake that doesn't get used often enough is more likely to bite you when it is suddenly needed.

I've definitely seen a few seize up and not work (or get stuck engaged) when people never use them (or only once every few months). But mine never end up going more than a few days or a week without use, which has never caused an issue. And I'm a little wary of setting it when it's not needed in the winter, as I've seen them ice up and not release...

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
9/2/16 11:58 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin:

Wow never thought about them icing up. Ill have to keep that in mind

outasite
outasite Reader
9/2/16 12:28 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: I've definitely seen a few seize up and not work (or get stuck engaged) when people never use them (or only once every few months). But mine never end up going more than a few days or a week without use, which has never caused an issue. And I'm a little wary of setting it when it's not needed in the winter, as I've seen them ice up and not release...

Up here in the northland, winter roads become slushy with salt use/sunny days. If parking brake mechanisms/shoes/pads are wet and the parking brake is applied, they will freeze and stay applied. Because of this, they are not used and the cables become rusted and will hold the parking brakes on if used in the future. So…we see a lot of non functioning parking brakes which can be a problem when new brakes are installed and the rusted cables/adjusters will not adjust. It is difficult to educate customers to use them when temps are staying above freezing when the advice from others is to not use them at all.

RevRico
RevRico Dork
9/2/16 12:29 p.m.

I was actually going to add growing up, my parents never used the foot parking brake on their automatics, so when a valet or anyone else did use it, it usually seized up. Because of that, I've never bothered in an auto unless it's a STEEP hill, but always do with the manuals.

outasite
outasite Reader
9/2/16 12:30 p.m.

The recently purchased CX-5 has an electric parking brake. Not happy about that.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/2/16 1:29 p.m.

I've had more than one automatic go into park but not lock. So I'm rigorous on using the parking brake always on any vehicle. I also check to make sure park is engaged before I set the parking brake. Too many of them are too weak to really hold the vehicle on their own. So the manual is in 1st gear, and the automatic is in park, engaged.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
9/2/16 1:39 p.m.

Most newer cars are going with the smaller e brakes.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/2/16 1:48 p.m.

I never park a car without redundancy, parking brake on and turned into the curb, brake on and in gear, brake on and in park, in park and tires pointed at the curb, etc.

Brian wrote: I always use it when driving stick. Only use it on an automatic when working on it.

Around here I recommend using it often regardless of transmission, they seize up from rust if you don't. I suspect a lack of use is also why every drum in hat rotor I've pulled has the shoe lining coming unglued or gone entirely.

codrus
codrus SuperDork
9/2/16 1:51 p.m.

I apply the parking brake in any car I drive (*), because that's what it's for. I've never understood why people don't use it -- what does that gain you?

(*) The exception is when the Miata comes off the track, then I use wheel chocks.

1kris06
1kris06 Reader
9/2/16 2:36 p.m.

3 winters and I've yet to have issues with my parking brake freezing. Must be an old/E36 M3ty/bad maintained vehicles thing.

outasite
outasite Reader
9/2/16 2:50 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: I never park a car without redundancy, parking brake on and turned into the curb, brake on and in gear, brake on and in park, in park and tires pointed at the curb, etc.
Brian wrote: I always use it when driving stick. Only use it on an automatic when working on it.
Around here I recommend using it often regardless of transmission, they seize up from rust if you don't. I suspect a lack of use is also why every drum in hat rotor I've pulled has the shoe lining coming unglued or gone entirely.

Not sure what the cause of loose/missing lining. I have found it on all makes and models with that design. I thought salt/off loading/loading boats/rust might be the cause.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FCf7xD0ZH98XkDbA9OvRgdOmmMIz3lbn59E9H6YidTSVbblpdFiyi1aBAxmzQKuW