1 2
ThatKid
ThatKid
8/7/08 7:03 p.m.

An '82 has popped up on Craigslist for $500, it's so, so tempting, but is there anything I should look for if I decide to go check this out? The ad says it "runs smooth" but we all know how that is.

So, what should I be looking for?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/7/08 7:05 p.m.

scott or chris whoever owns one? where you at.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/8/08 3:07 a.m.

An old used car buyer's guide I have says that ball joints wear quickly on these, and should be checked and that the ring/pinion alignment can cause a lot of noise when they are misaligned (duh?). Apparently the early models, like this one, are supposed to have switchable 2wd/4wd. I'm not sure what they mean by saying that, and post '85 models have awd "shift on the fly". I'm only guessing that means this car must be stopped or nearly stopped to change from 2 to 4 wheel drive and vice versa. sorry, I'm no expert, but until one comes along..........

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/8/08 5:22 a.m.

Only thing I remember about them is they have a plastic valve cover with the world's most expensive gasket.

ThatKid
ThatKid New Reader
8/8/08 7:19 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Only thing I remember about them is they have a plastic valve cover with the world's most expensive gasket.

that would depend on the engine though, correct?

Also, is there anywhere specific/unusual that these liked to rust?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
8/8/08 7:52 a.m.
ThatKid wrote: Also, is there anywhere specific/unusual that these liked to rust?

EVERYWHERE

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
8/8/08 8:31 a.m.
ThatKid wrote: Also, is there anywhere specific/unusual that these liked to rust?

Only the metal parts.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/8/08 9:21 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
Only the metal parts.

Not true. Eagles are incredibly resistant to rust, more so than nearly any car I've ever seen. The 4.2 liter is a beast, and the bottom end is nearly bulletproof. Mine has over 260K on it and shows no signs of giving up. The 4cyl is the Iron Duke GM motor IIRC, uninspiring, but effective.

Check out www.amceaglenest.com

It is a great site with everything you need to know.

My 84 Wagon 5spd is about to head into the shop for a new flywheel ring-gear. I'll post an update soon.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/8/08 9:46 a.m.

not a great carburetor on the 6 cylinder, that's my only experience.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
8/8/08 10:07 a.m.

4.2l AMC 6 FTW ... I had one in my Jeep (5spd) with 211,000 and i put about 50k on it with what was reported as the original clutch... can't comment on the carb, mine was FI.

Joe Gearin
8/8/08 10:08 a.m.

Yeah, the Carter carbs that came on the 6cyl cars were junk. They had a primitive emissions control that fails frequently. I installed a Weber (Empi) on mine and it improved the drivablilty and added a bit of power.

Joe Gearin
8/8/08 10:13 a.m.

Fine action shots of Eagle http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/grmjoeg/DSCN9911.jpg http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/grmjoeg/DSCN9910.jpg

Joe Gearin
8/8/08 10:27 a.m.

More info here:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-amc-eagle/

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/8/08 4:41 p.m.

Clifford makes a proper valve cover and I think an intake manifold for the 4.2. Yeah, I can't say they were particularly rust prone like the earlier AMC cars. Might have to do with all the plastic lower body crap stuck to them. If you're not "in the loop" of Eagle nuts, some parts are hard to come by. ChryCo dealers have pretty much forgotten these ever existed.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/8/08 4:49 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: Clifford makes a proper valve cover and I think an intake manifold for the 4.2. Yeah, I can't say they were particularly rust prone like the earlier AMC cars. Might have to do with all the plastic lower body crap stuck to them. If you're not "in the loop" of Eagle nuts, some parts are hard to come by. ChryCo dealers have pretty much forgotten these ever existed.

For anything that has a Jeep crossover, I'm sure it's available. The 4.2 was put into a LOT of jeeps and is pretty well supported.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
8/8/08 5:36 p.m.

My uncle had one in the early 80's and I thought it was the coolest (I was 9). I still think they are cool and they must have made a boatload of them because they aren't uncommon to see on the road, at least in the rural parts of my area. Its no Audi GT Coupe, but it ain't half bad either and I wouldn't tow a decent sized bass boat with an Audi.

minimac
minimac Dork
8/8/08 5:40 p.m.

With a lot of digging, there are still speed parts floating around. The engines are almost bulletproof, with seven main bearings. With a slight cut to raise compression, a mild cam, headers, a Clifford or Offy aluminum intake and prep the stock rods, -you've got a beast for the street or track. It'll pull strong up to 5800rpm(and beyond) without any problems with a Holley 2bbl carb, for not a big investment.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
8/8/08 6:08 p.m.

Had one for about a year (my girlfriend's ride). I remember that it was pretty nice, and the 4WD thing was pretty cool, although we almost never used it. Ended up selling it to a neighbor pretty cheep after she got a Fiesta instead.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
8/8/08 8:32 p.m.

Nobody has mentioned strokers yet!

.030" Jeep 4.0 + AMC 4.2 crank = 4.6L of Fury!

http://www.ajeepthing.com/stroker-motor.html

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/9/08 2:57 a.m.

IIRC, an EFI 4.0L swap is pretty basic, strait forward, and common. At least on older jeeps. I dont see why this would be any different.

On a side note, I remember some thing about the 4WD being vacume acctuated, and having reliability issues. Similar to the AWD in older (pre '97?) caravans. Or I could be totally wrong.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/9/08 9:38 a.m.

Painless has a PNP harness for retrofitting late model 4.0's into other stuff.

petegossett
petegossett Dork
8/9/08 9:53 a.m.

Sorta O/T, but a guy around the corner has an intake manifold sitting out at his garage sale. He said it fits the AMC/Jeep V8's...401,IIRC.

I have no idea if it's worth anything and/or desireable, just thought I'd mention it in case someone is looking for one.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
8/9/08 10:47 p.m.

My bro had a Jeep and mentioned that the 4WD system was vacuum controlled on his. If you had a vacuum leak in the lines it wouldn't engage. I'll bet that these Eagles use the same style system. I think that may be where the unreliable label on the 4WD comes from.

Duke
Duke Dork
8/9/08 10:59 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Not true. Eagles are incredibly resistant to rust, more so than nearly any car I've ever seen.

Where do you live, Death Valley? My wife's first car was a Hornet that utterly and completely biodegraded, and she lived in southern Pennsylvania. That thing had rust holes through the middle of the hood! Every other Hornet/Eagle I ever saw east of the Mississippi was half bondo or half missing.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
8/10/08 7:50 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: Not true. Eagles are incredibly resistant to rust, more so than nearly any car I've ever seen.
Where do you live, Death Valley? My wife's first car was a Hornet that utterly and completely biodegraded, and she lived in southern Pennsylvania. That thing had rust holes through the middle of the hood! Every other Hornet/Eagle I ever saw east of the Mississippi was half bondo or half missing.

Adding lightness!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gjhquUYUxpBAm2GMr6WKB2hB61J8VfHGaREI3DDmgjsZFKzWooMZhHb9dtGdi55G