1 2 3
pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/12/11 4:19 p.m.

It's really too bad some other company like, say, Ford doesn't have an iconic paint scheme as well to compete with all the guys giving Martini this awesome free ad space on their cars / motorcycles / bicycles / dish washers / et cetera.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/12/11 5:21 p.m.

I'm still looking for one of these:

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/12/11 5:28 p.m.

STOP DOING THAT!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/12/11 5:30 p.m.
thestig99 wrote:

Saabs always look so cool in the snow.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/12/11 7:47 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'm still looking for one of these:

Here's one. Silly expensive, and not quite as cool as the one in your picture.

http://cgi.ebay.de/MARTINI-Lenkrad-Lancia-Delta-Integrale-EVO-MOMO-Porsche-/130473545395?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item1e60d44eb3#ht_500wt_1156

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
1/12/11 9:12 p.m.

If this was a bit cheaper I would be all over it.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/2136066519.html

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/12/11 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Then that means that Martini's livery is pointless for thier sponsorship.

Or that the advertising works for the 13%, which is pretty good.

None the less, whenever you put a company logo, ad, sticker, livery- it's advertising you are giving that company. My point is that you see it a lot more often in motorsports, which is interesting. You see parts stickers all over cars, since it's a "cool" thing- and congrats to the system to make people think that it's so cool.

Yes, Ford does it. This point isn't about Martini or Ford, it's about the voluntary advertising people do on their cars, which I personally find fascinating that it's seen as so cool.

TuffWork
TuffWork New Reader
1/12/11 10:07 p.m.

Advertising generally only works less than 5% of the time. How often are you sitting at home and jump up to go buy a product because you saw it on TV?

Advertising is often meant just to keep the fact that the product mentioned is there in the back of your mind. So, next time you need something like that you will think of their product first.

However, in the car world, livery reminds us of all the incredible cars we have seen with that paint job or the events we went to or remembered. NOT of the company that it represents but of the car/driver/memories/love of the &%$!in' sport/etc.

Why wouldn't we want to paint our own stuff the same way and keep that memory alive?

frankenstangsghost
frankenstangsghost New Reader
1/12/11 10:07 p.m.

Looks good! However, all that paint equals weight. Just the bike weenie in me talkin'...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/12/11 10:58 p.m.

Sheesh, road bikers Cover it in mud, it'll be good.

It's not just car liveries. People pay money to advertise brands all the time, usually on t-shirts. Makes them feel part of something, I guess. Meanwhile, the converse is true. The first thing I did when I got home with my new truck was remove the dealer license plate frame and the dealer name plate on the rear, then peeled the Line-X sticker off.

Usually, you need to earn the right to get on one of my cars. Martini earned the right by coming up with a most excellent livery and sponsoring motorsports for 40+ years at the highest level. This is something I approve of, even if I've never tasted one of their products. So I shall support them back.

And as I said, it's definitely paid off for me. The TV crews at the Targa loved shooting my car, and thus I got more air time than other teams. Magazines love the look, and so I find it easier to get editorial. Car enthusiasts pass around pictures of my car - pictures that have a big FLYIN' MIATA across the windshield.

I thought long and hard about how to paint the Targa car. At first, I tried to come up with my own future iconic livery. I have a few pretty good options, following my guidelines of flattering the car's lines, being attractive and popping on camera. But I couldn't do better than the Martini setup, and figured that bringing a tribute to a classic livery to a classic rally was good. That worked out.

Janel has been heavily exposed to Martini tribute advertising. And when we were in Vegas, she saw a bottle of Martini...something. It had bubbles. She never knew what the actual product was before, and immediately wanted to buy it. So there's one success story

The thing to remember is that the Martini livery in particular is really attractive. You don't have to be a car weenie to recognize that. It just plain looks cool. Even if the livery didn't exist, that bike frame that started this thread would still be a stunner. If he'd painted it red and put a stripe along the bottom that said GT40, it wouldn't have had the same effect

frankenstangsghost
frankenstangsghost New Reader
1/12/11 11:15 p.m.
Keith wrote: Sheesh, road bikers Cover it in mud, it'll be good.

LOL. My latest ride is such a road weenie mobile they sandblasted the brand name onto it so I can haul even more mud...

BTW, nice MG.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
1/13/11 1:18 a.m.
cghstang wrote: What ever happened to the Martini Metro?

It kicked ass.

It took names.

What did you think would happen?

ZOO
ZOO Dork
1/13/11 6:10 a.m.

This is also iconic livery; sadly I am more familiar with it than Martini products.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/13/11 6:50 a.m.
Keith wrote: It's not just car liveries. People pay money to advertise brands all the time, usually on t-shirts. Makes them feel part of something, I guess. Meanwhile, the converse is true. The first thing I did when I got home with my new truck was remove the dealer license plate frame and the dealer name plate on the rear, then peeled the Line-X sticker off.

As I've repeatedly tried to point out, I think it's interesting that as a society, we have come to the point where versions of advertising, some where the owner pays a lot to do it, has become very "cool", or hip, or whatever people are using these days to describe an accpetable condition that is even desireable. And that cars seem to be more of an illustration than that vs. other interests.

I just find that interesting. I'm ok with you doing it, whether you agree with my observation or not.

But it's still advertising.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
1/13/11 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Zomby woof:

I bought it from Yavuz on here,and had grand plans that never came through. I then sold it to 914driver,and he had evil,wicked plans for it,but then sold it locally in upstate NY. He knows where it is,and what its status is I am sure.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/13/11 8:24 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Keith wrote: It's not just car liveries. People pay money to advertise brands all the time, usually on t-shirts. Makes them feel part of something, I guess. Meanwhile, the converse is true. The first thing I did when I got home with my new truck was remove the dealer license plate frame and the dealer name plate on the rear, then peeled the Line-X sticker off.
As I've repeatedly tried to point out, I think it's interesting that as a society, we have come to the point where versions of advertising, some where the owner pays a lot to do it, has become very "cool", or hip, or whatever people are using these days to describe an accpetable condition that is even desireable. And that cars seem to be more of an illustration than that vs. other interests. I just find that interesting. I'm ok with you doing it, whether you agree with my observation or not. But it's still advertising.

Do you have a GRM sticker on your car? Just saying...

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/13/11 8:30 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Do you have a GRM sticker on your car? Just saying...

No.

I've only done that twice- once because I had to- it was part of a sticker package that was required to enter the contest, and then because I wanted to get some article time in the magazine for a specific car. Which hasn't happened, yet.

But none of my current cars have GRM stickers.

None the less, that does not change my point. Even if I did put stickers on the car, all I would be doing is re-enforcing my point that it's seen as "cool."

Ottawa
Ottawa New Reader
1/13/11 10:00 a.m.

Hey AlfaDriver let me try and put this a different way: Ever hear of bands like Dread Zepplin? You know, a "tribute act" that pays homage to a famous success but re-interprets the original. That is how I see using something the Martini livery on a privately funded Miata. Of course no one thinks that Martini was funding Keith $1M in order to use their corporate colours as they have done for F1 or WRC. Instead Keith decided to honour the great racing legacy that Martini funded but doesn't get any direct financial benefit, but at the same time he hoped the association would help him grow his own recognition.

And lets face it by using that livery Keith is also able to realize the dream many (most?) of us drivers have of being their childhood heroes, seeing a picture of themselves at the wheel of a Martini liveried car doing a perfect powerslide on an open speed rally in front of cheering spectators, and isn't that enough?

Ottawa

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
1/13/11 10:31 a.m.
pres589 wrote: giving Martini this awesome free ad space on their cars / motorcycles / bicycles / dish washers / et cetera.

Martini Liveried Dishwasher??!! Aww HELL yeah! The wife is gonna hate this one....

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/13/11 10:41 a.m.

We have flames on our fridge, a Martini dishwasher seems like the logical next step.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/13/11 11:36 a.m.

I was going to come in here and post some badass liveries, but then someone already linked the thread in which i already did so.

I have nothing to add, but this post.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/13/11 11:42 a.m.
Ottawa wrote: Hey AlfaDriver let me try and put this a different way: Ever hear of bands like Dread Zepplin? You know, a "tribute act" that pays homage to a famous success but re-interprets the original. That is how I see using something the Martini livery on a privately funded Miata. Of course no one thinks that Martini was funding Keith $1M in order to use their corporate colours as they have done for F1 or WRC. Instead Keith decided to honour the great racing legacy that Martini funded but doesn't get any direct financial benefit, but at the same time he hoped the association would help him grow his own recognition. And lets face it by using that livery Keith is also able to realize the dream many (most?) of us drivers have of being their childhood heroes, seeing a picture of themselves at the wheel of a Martini liveried car doing a perfect powerslide on an open speed rally in front of cheering spectators, and isn't that enough? Ottawa

A few things. First of all, I never once said this was bad, all I have said is that it is interesting that it's seen as more than just acceptable that we freely choose to advertise things on our car.

Second- I personally think that the tribute band idea is a bad analogy. Most of the decent ones are doing some kind of concert, so that they are getting paid. Again, we are putting stickers on the car OR paying to have a paint job that IS an advertisement.

Third- you illustrate my point nicely- we all think it's cool to pay tribute to Martini by paining our cars based on their winning. Keith chose the paint because it was cool, and paid to put it on. Then he has gotten a lot of attention, which hopefully has gotten him more work- that's cool. But even with all of that recognition, it does not take the advertsing for Martini off hte car. No matter how much you want to try to deny it, it is still an advertisement for Martini- intentional, nobody "recognizes" it, tribute- however you want to justify it- it's a ad.

BTW- which Martini car are you talking about? 917, 935, Lancia, Alfa, bike, etc etc ect. By choosing Martini, in particular, you get to cover anything.

Look at how many people are jumping on me as this is such an acceptable thing to do. It's just so very interesting. Cars are cool if they are rolling advertisements. Am I the only one here to find it so interesting that we choose to advertise products for free AND consider it a very, very good thing?

You can decide for yourself if that is good or bad. I'm just brining up that we do it.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
1/13/11 12:02 p.m.

alfadriver, you really don't understand how it works, do you.

First, you buy a K&N air filter and put in on your car, possibly gaining a fraction of a horsepower. Then you apply the supplied K&N air filter sticker on your cars rear side window. Now you are more attractive to women.

Ottawa
Ottawa New Reader
1/13/11 1:07 p.m.

AlfaDriver I think Ford should have you lecture all the buyers of Black/Gold Mustangs that they are really advertising for Hertz.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/13/11 1:08 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: alfadriver, you really don't understand how it works, do you. First, you buy a K&N air filter and put in on your car, possibly gaining a fraction of a horsepower. Then you apply the supplied K&N air filter sticker on your cars rear side window. Now you are more attractive to women.

Which sticker takes 10lb from my gut, so that I'm a hottie? (and can autocross faster?)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kzQy7VHciFM5ovBICFPBa5KlRGyY32sIuJzQGT5BZaxph9rbGCqdGUCtwoAe1BPw