mineman_bruce
mineman_bruce New Reader
3/18/13 12:16 a.m.

first off, let me say i have searched, and the concensus always seems to lean towards the miata. While i respect the miata for it's handling properties, i'm just not sure if it's the car for me. My question for you grm'ers, is what would you do with 4k? i could either pay off my truck, which i would barely drive anyways, mainly because of california smog craziness and gas prices, orrrr i could get a car i can enjoy while stationed in sunny san diego, and not deal with the smog and gas headache on the truck. my main area has always been air-cooled vw's, i've had 5 since i was 17, i'm now 21. Sold my last one before bootcamp, and regret it seeing as how much the prices have become incredibly expensive in last 2 years. While i would like to get another, i also kinda want something that can handle, preferably be smog exempt, have the same ease of repair and large aftermarket behind it. Any suggestions?

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/18/13 1:05 a.m.

I know nothing of smog laws in California, so forgive me if I'm suggesting things that won't work.

Even though you said not to, somebody is going to say it, because you just described it to a T: Miata.

If you are really dead set against it, I'll suggest the MR2, various E36's, and possibly MINI's (are they that cheap yet?).

mineman_bruce
mineman_bruce New Reader
3/18/13 1:23 a.m.

as i understand it, and car post 75 has to go through smog here unless it is a diesel. so motorswaps, heavy mods, all seem like a waste of time if i can't drive the damn thing. and i have to have a smog cert to get my base stickers here :/ back in WA where i am from we don't have to do smog

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
3/18/13 2:16 a.m.

70s Novas used period Camaro suspension, which is well supported last I heard.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
3/18/13 2:40 a.m.

I would say a Datsun 510.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/18/13 4:41 a.m.

You're on the west coast; the world is your oyster. Datsun 510, BMW 2002, Datsun Z...lots of choices in pre-smog times. Otherwise you're into the 80s or 90s with BMW E30s, Miatas, turbo anythings.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/18/13 8:38 a.m.
mineman_bruce wrote: as i understand it, and car post 75 has to go through smog here unless it is a diesel. so motorswaps, heavy mods, all seem like a waste of time if i can't drive the damn thing. and i have to have a smog cert to get my base stickers here :/ back in WA where i am from we don't have to do smog

Then I will change my answer to BMW 2002, mini, and Datsun Z.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/18/13 11:31 a.m.
mtn wrote: Then I will change my answer to BMW 2002, mini, and Datsun Z.

This. Plus Datsun 510.

If you can set aside smog dislike though, the Miata really is a great car for San Diego. Handles like a dream. Is stupid easy to work on with lots of aftermarket support. Very reliable to not likely need much maintenance anyway. As long as you don't decide to get crazy with the engine, you should never have problems passing smog. Mine had an issue only once. The catalytic converter was bad. Once that was replaced it passed with flying colors.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/18/13 1:30 p.m.

510 Schwing!!!!!!!

mineman_bruce
mineman_bruce New Reader
3/18/13 7:28 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
This. Plus Datsun 510. If you can set aside smog dislike though, the Miata really is a great car for San Diego. Handles like a dream. Is stupid easy to work on with lots of aftermarket support. Very reliable to not likely need much maintenance anyway. As long as you don't decide to get crazy with the engine, you should never have problems passing smog. Mine had an issue only once. The catalytic converter was bad. Once that was replaced it passed with flying colors.

i suppose if i could find one between 3-4k that was clean and ready to go it would be ideal. the ones i find on craigslist in san diego around that seem to have 100k + miles or needing new tops or the 1.6 na with no lsd

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/18/13 7:50 p.m.

100k+ miles should not scare you at all on a Miata.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
3/18/13 7:51 p.m.

510s arent really that common in california anymore. A 2002 or a fiat 124 spider are probably the most common pre 75 sports cars in northern cali at least, there are still lots of bugs around too, and a decent amount of mg midgets and MGBs.

fujioko
fujioko New Reader
3/18/13 8:09 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
This. Plus Datsun 510. If you can set aside smog dislike though, the Miata really is a great car for San Diego. Handles like a dream. Is stupid easy to work on with lots of aftermarket support. Very reliable to not likely need much maintenance anyway. As long as you don't decide to get crazy with the engine, you should never have problems passing smog. Mine had an issue only once. The catalytic converter was bad. Once that was replaced it passed with flying colors.

+1 on the Miata. The Miata was built for San Diego.

mineman_bruce
mineman_bruce New Reader
3/18/13 10:25 p.m.

shoot i might be sold on the miata. i may just pay off my truck and save a small down payment for an early nb like an 01 or 02. They seem like a ton of fun and aftermarket parts don't seem bad, and my insurance quotes have been in the 60ish dollar range. Easy on gas too. i might have to get my vw tattoo covered up though

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LqgGP3GgI3hPZKEj0dMJk8BejCqiNKr1LzLmcBTiUWSgemerqTsTqxTcKAMSOslg