1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/22/24 11:24 a.m.

My wife and I need something a little bigger now that we have a three-year-old with a foster kid in the near future.

Initially, we set our sights way too high, though after some soul-searching we decided that the CR-V Hybrid fits the bill well for us. We both want to use less gas, so that's why we are going the hybrid route (ideally, we'd get a plug-in, but most seem to be out of our price range and we aren't ready to have our primary vehicle be an EV).

As much as I like thinking outside the box, I can't really find a reason to not buy a CR-V Hybrid. It just makes too much sense.

Also: Anyone have the most recent (sixth) generation CR-V Hybrid? How has it been so far? What's your fuel mileage like? I can't get a straight answer from any reviews online.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
1/22/24 11:32 a.m.

Well, I can say that if you build the engine using a RSX-S head and turbo it to 15 psi, then put it in something weighing half as much, it's very entertaining :).

Silliness aside, many consider the engine bulletproof. I had "mixed results" but it was far from stock.

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
1/22/24 11:41 a.m.

We test drove the CR-V hybrid, Tucson Hybrid, and RAV-4 hybrid a couple months ago. The crv seemed to have the smallest trunk and interior space, although headroom seemed adequate.

Interior was kinda bland and seemed old, and that's in comparison to a rav-4 that also hasn't changed in years. For trunk space, and your growing family, I would look at the Kia/Hyundai hybrid or the Toyota. 

We ended up getting a used Hyundai Tucson this past weekend, and the main reasons were the backup cameras were 100 times more clear than the competition, and we could find a gently used one within our price range (about 10k+ off the price of a new one).

But, I would trust a Honda hybrid to get better gas mileage and be more reliable than the Hyundai/kia. Our trip back from the dealer was about 300 miles, mostly highway 65+ mph. Super cold, super windy, and we only got 28mpg....not good. Hoping as we drive it more it'll improve but idk, that's a far cry from the 36mpg advertised. I say all that in hopes to give perspective of a "real world" mpg expectation...the manufacturer gives the best case scenario, and we are about 8-9mpg from that currently.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/22/24 11:43 a.m.

We have a 2019 CR-V, not hybrid which we bought when it came off lease.  I was the last hold out for SUVs as I didn't like the Soccer Mom stereotype, but EVERYBODY has one!  You can't see around them, so join them.  It's roomy enough, easy to drive, got all the chachkas and gets good mileage.  I can't speak for the Hybrid, but it can only be better.

Now, if the Ridgeline is anything like this .....

wae
wae PowerDork
1/22/24 11:47 a.m.

I don't know what years or engines this applies to - or if my coworker is just flat wrong! - but I have a coworker with a CRV that's somewhere in the 2015-2017 vintage I think.  He has some sort of problem with it where it rattles and/or ticks a bunch and he said it's a common problem that had some sort of expensive fix.  I realize that no actual information was harmed in the making of that sentence, but maybe look that up and see if it is (a) a thing and (b) applies?

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
1/22/24 11:50 a.m.

We have a 2017 CR-V and its been a great car. It gets about 32mpg around town and is a comfortable place to spend time on a long road trip. It is definitely worth looking at the Rav-4 if you are in the market for that size car.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/22/24 12:37 p.m.

We have a 2019 CRV. It's a good appliance. Great for hauling groceries and dogs. Good gas mileage. Doesn't break.

Still not nearly as much fun as my 93 Jeep Cherokee XJ that sits next to it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/22/24 12:58 p.m.

If you have a second on the way please look at the Minivans. I really like the CR-V but I agree it is a bit dated inside and a bit smaller. Though the newest revision is pretty good. 

I also like the new Pilot. Man are they nice and at least in my family we have multiple in the 250-280K range that have been dead reliable. With the exception of one transmission that died after years of hauling things and golf cource maintaince and two of them have lost the high pressure transmission lines which is berkeley off sort of job. 

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
1/22/24 1:05 p.m.

I rented a CR-V hybrid last year for a tour out West (Nebraska, Colorado, Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming). Normal driving for 2000 miles yielded around 44mpg average, and that included 80mph cruising on the interstates. YMMV but mine didn't! 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
1/22/24 1:16 p.m.

Am I the only one that thinks the interior looks extremely good??

rothwem
rothwem Reader
1/22/24 1:17 p.m.

I'd go Rav4 Hybrid over the CR-V Hybrid every day of the week.  Honda just isn't what they used to be and I don't trust them to make a complex hybrid drivetrain well.  The Toyota hybrid drivetrain is mechanically simple, has no driveshaft or transfer case to worry about and and the eCVT has been shown to be more robust than just about any other type of automatic transmission out there.  

Colin Wood
1/22/24 2:40 p.m.

Thank you all for the insights so far. We haven't ruled out the RAV-4, Tucson or Sportage just yet, so I also appreciate the counterarguments.

Colin Wood
1/22/24 2:42 p.m.
914Driver said:

We have a 2019 CR-V, not hybrid which we bought when it came off lease.  I was the last hold out for SUVs as I didn't like the Soccer Mom stereotype, but EVERYBODY has one!  You can't see around them, so join them.  It's roomy enough, easy to drive, got all the chachkas and gets good mileage.  I can't speak for the Hybrid, but it can only be better.

Now, if the Ridgeline is anything like this .....

I feel you on the "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude when it comes to SUVs. I'll also say that I've driven Tim's Ridgeline once for a photoshoot, and I really liked it. For me, it was the Honda driving experience I know and love, but now with a truck bed.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
1/22/24 2:42 p.m.

All the other auto mags sure do seem to love the new CRV.   A friend has one of the new hybrids and apparently likes it quite well, no idea of the specifics on mileage.  

Colin Wood
1/22/24 2:44 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

If you have a second on the way please look at the Minivans. I really like the CR-V but I agree it is a bit dated inside and a bit smaller. Though the newest revision is pretty good. 

I also like the new Pilot. Man are they nice and at least in my family we have multiple in the 250-280K range that have been dead reliable. With the exception of one transmission that died after years of hauling things and golf cource maintaince and two of them have lost the high pressure transmission lines which is berkeley off sort of job. 

Believe it or not, it's my wife who refuses to have a minivan, though she did tell me it'd be a different story if we had more than two (permanent) kids. 

The Pilot is really awesome, though not having a hybrid option is a bit of a deal breaker for both of us.

Colin Wood
1/22/24 2:47 p.m.
glyn ellis said:

I rented a CR-V hybrid last year for a tour out West (Nebraska, Colorado, Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming). Normal driving for 2000 miles yielded around 44mpg average, and that included 80mph cruising on the interstates. YMMV but mine didn't! 

That's what I found confusing about user reviews for the CR-V Hybrid. It was either 40+ mpg or 20. No inbetween.

I suspect driving habits play a lot into it.

Colin Wood
1/22/24 2:48 p.m.
Slippery said:

Am I the only one that thinks the interior looks extremely good??

I love the interior–and the exterior, too for that matter. There wasn't anything particularly "wrong" about the previous gen's looks, but I definitely prefer the redesign.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/22/24 2:49 p.m.

Hondas past hybrids have never seemed to be quite as good as the Toyota counterparts, partially because Toyota's patented "synergy drive" (planetary gearset) works so much better than a normal transmissions with an electric motor shoved at the front.  I think they are doing something different now, but not sure the details.

I'd research into that a little more before buying one.  Toyota has been making cockroach hybrids for 25 years and that is comforting.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/22/24 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

you only know it's outdated if you've been looking at them for years.  :-)

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
1/22/24 2:56 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I mean, it was redesigned in 2023 ... so I guess one year?

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
1/22/24 3:35 p.m.
wae said:

I don't know what years or engines this applies to - or if my coworker is just flat wrong! - but I have a coworker with a CRV that's somewhere in the 2015-2017 vintage I think.  He has some sort of problem with it where it rattles and/or ticks a bunch and he said it's a common problem that had some sort of expensive fix.  I realize that no actual information was harmed in the making of that sentence, but maybe look that up and see if it is (a) a thing and (b) applies?

That's most likely dealing with a noisy vtc actuator or timing chain

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/24 3:51 p.m.

Other than the Honda Tax and there being better/equal things that you don't pay the Honda tax for. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/23/24 8:01 a.m.

Just don't crash it. Honda airbags are months to get.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/23/24 8:08 a.m.

I've had an Accord Hybrid for the past two years and absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Honda Hybrid. 

grover
grover Dork
1/23/24 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I'm looking at those for the wife- her favorite car was a 96 accord and she wants high gas mileage- but not a full electric. 
would you please flesh out your experience more? 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZWMVKYG7BhryttgFGV5mdjNBaXK54gaxXr2hp1eSc3M8RA0n6U0LE0jiCZbgWNtq