bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 None
3/18/14 8:35 a.m.

Hi Everyone!

I am really liking the idea of building an Exocet. I was wondering if anyone has tried to register one in Maryland as a Kit or rebuilt vehicle? The SEMA information is not nearly enough.

The right way to do it is probably as a rebuilt vehicle as a Kit in Maryland has to be a representation of a historic vehicle or a street rod (really you do the same thing for either of these ways). The easier way would be to register the Miata first and get tags for it and just use those on the Exocet. You really ARE just re-bodying a Miata is the thinking there. The problem is you would have to relocate the original "Primary VIN Plate" to the Exocet (a huge no-no) or just run without one.

I am concerned about the two required inspections for the Kit or rebuild methods. One is at a service station that is authorized - what specs are they going to use for things like brake linings and suspension play? Can it pass without a windshield? The second inspection is a State Trooper, I have a feeling that one will be the worst....

Thoughts?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/18/14 8:38 a.m.

The dmv is your source for the best information about the process.

Ask the service center and the state troupers about what their inspections entail. It's usually very clear. They'll be able to tell you about the windshield, for example. Don't build a car that's worn out to start with and your "brake linings" should be fine.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/18/14 9:45 a.m.

run without a vin plate if the kit does not include one, take the certificate of origin to MVA and, have the safety inspection done prior to drivetrain installation (you will fail for obvious reasons) then return for reinspection with drivetrain installed. This is what i had to do with the MK1 elises in the late 90's-2001 and never had any issues with Glen Burnie when doing so.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/18/14 10:01 a.m.

MVA offices, Glen Burnie in particular, are not places I would go asking questions. In my experience you will get anything but a straight or correct answer. Tag and title services places are the way to go for creative applications.

Long ago I noticed the interesting kits and three wheelers all listed a particular tag and title service as providing them their magical (and technically illegal) tags. I think it was one over in Hereford, but I'm not certain of that.

Anyhow, I'd be getting myself to some of the local shows, Carlisle Import in particular, looking for kits/home-mades/trikes with Maryland licence plates, and be asking questions about where they went to get them on the road.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/18/14 10:31 a.m.

I know some guys on here http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/

They might be able to assist you in finding the right direction to go in.

Be prepared for a lot of paper pushers that will say no to anything they don't understand. You are going to have to bark up a lot of trees if memory serves.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/18/14 10:40 a.m.

I've always found it much easier than individuals claim it is. Even California. Talk to the central DMV. They'll quite probably have a checklist for you to follow.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
3/18/14 11:01 a.m.

+1 for attending Carlisle. If nothing else, Exocet should be there in the kit car pavilion. It's an easy day-trip from MD. Saturday is the big attendence day.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/18/14 11:34 a.m.

some states are easier than others. NJ requires all kits to conform to current safety and emissions standards.. so while a locost or even a replica of a Lotus 7 may be based on a 60's lotus.. it still needs to be as clean and safe as a 2014 car here in NJ.

Probably why there are so few replicas and kitcars in NJ

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/18/14 11:37 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The dmv is your source for the best information about the process.

Never dealt with the Maryland MVA, have you?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/18/14 12:06 p.m.

Everyone from every state makes that same comment.

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
3/18/14 12:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Everyone from every state makes that same comment.

I have to imagine this is true. I guess I will put on my fake nose and glasses and grab a Kramer looking wig and head to DMV and see what they say. It is worth it, I think I have sealed the Exocet in my head already.

I don't think Flyin Miata is going to the Carlisle show, but I will go for sure, it is just over an hour from me.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
3/18/14 2:49 p.m.

In reply to bigfoot21075:

Flying Miata wasn't there last year, but Exocet was. I'd imagine they'll be there again this year since it's one of the biggest kit shows in the country and most of the big and small makers attend.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
3/18/14 2:57 p.m.

Oh yeah... and Google is your friend :

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/27300/27300-31T.htm#kit_car

It appears you'll have to get the car through a safety inspection as well.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
3/18/14 3:23 p.m.

When you go to the MD MVA branch office ask to talk to the troopers who do the inspections. They are probably not there every day (only 2 days a week in Frederick) but they are the people you want to talk to.

Three years ago when I was thinking about buying a race car and putting it back on the street to use for rallycross I talked to them at the Frederick office. I took along pictures and all the info that I had (car was out of state) and they were very helpful in pointing out what I would have to change/replace.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
3/18/14 9:17 p.m.

If its old enough there is no inspection for historic or street rod. You just need a vin/title to start from (Miata?)..

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
3/21/14 7:29 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: If its old enough there is no inspection for historic or street rod. You just need a vin/title to start from (Miata?)..

I thought about that. 20 years or older for historic in Maryland - easy enough. HOWEVER, they are pretty clear that the car must be mostly original. I would just register it as a Miata and keep it that way, but when you remove the VIN tag - you are in big trouble.

Would hate to build it only to have it impounded or not paid for by insurance.

As for kit car, here is the worrisome line,

A kit car has the outward appearance of a Historic or Street Rod vehicle (though it is not titled as such).

The Exocet has neither by this definition;

Street rod. A motor vehicle that: (1) Is 25 years old or older; and (2) Has been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/21/14 7:41 a.m.

That's why you want to talk to the guys who have done this, and not try to figure it out on your own.

As mentioned above, Carlisle Import, OC Street Rod Show, etc. There you will find the folk who have successfully traveled this path before.

The only reason to go to the MVA and try to figure it out yourself is because you love pain.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
3/21/14 7:50 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: The only reason to go to the MVA and try to figure it out yourself is because you love pain.

You've been on this forum for HOW long?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/21/14 8:25 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: That's why you want to talk to the guys who have done this, and not try to figure it out on your own. As mentioned above, Carlisle Import, OC Street Rod Show, etc. There you will find the folk who have successfully traveled this path before. The only reason to go to the MVA and try to figure it out yourself is because you love pain.

Or because you want the correct answer straight from the source. Every kit car registered in Maryland ended up at the MVA at some point, and they're the ones with the rule book. The suggestion to talk to the troopers is an excellent one as well.

I've heard all sorts of bad info from "the community". But only ever received good info from the people who actually register the car.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/21/14 9:28 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Or because you want the correct answer straight from the source. Every kit car registered in Maryland ended up at the MVA at some point, and they're the ones with the rule book. The suggestion to talk to the troopers is an excellent one as well.

No, they did not. Tag and title services here are fully empowered to act as agents of the MVA, and directly issues tags and titles themselves. You avoid the MVA completely using them.

Even years ago when tag and title services merely acted as consultants, they regularly got vehicles through that otherwise were rendered untaggable or untitleable.

BTDT, quite a few times.

As far as getting a "straight" answer from an MVA office, you will get a different answer from each different clerk you speak to. BTDT as well.

My best MVA drama example would be the fun I had getting tags for my first Spitfire. Spent thee days with the Glen Burnie MVA office trying to get my historic tags. They insisted, among other things:

(1) That I provide them a copy of a letter from Triumph, to me, stating that they are out of business.

(2) That Triumph never made a car known as a Spitfire. Triumph only made the TR3. Spitfire were either made by a company known as Spitifire, or they were custom built. Either way, they insisted my title was fraudulent since it claimed the maker was Triumph.

(3) That I drill off and bring in the VIN plate from the car. Seriously. That one almost got me arrested.

After three days, I was removed from the premises by a State Trooper. The only reason he didn't arrest me was because one clerk finally admitted that I was in fact told to drill the VIN plate off and bring it in. The trooper was rather gob smacked by that.

Glen Burnie MVA flatly refused to tag my Spitfire. At best, I could try again next year when the car was 21 years old (never mind that the law says 20 years old). But only if I could prove Triumph made a Spitfire. Otherwise I would have to go through the SVA inspection for a custom hand built car, with documentation on the building of it. A god damn Triumph Spitfire!

I finally got smart and went to a different office (Harford county was known to be helpful at the time). Walk in, hand her the paperwork and photos. She says "pretty car" and gives me my tags. Less than 10 minutes.

Both were MVA offices, both were official answers.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
3/21/14 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I'll rarely disagree with you Keith, but this is one instance where fox speaks the truth. I've heard similar stories from others when dealing with the MVA.

I'm in PA and the process is completely different. Across the river in NJ - a different process again.

While I agree about doing some due-diligence in researching as much as possible, if/when I build a kit car I plan to go to those who have "BTDT" as well. It's not that PennDOT has a reputation of being difficult to deal with, it's just that they have little to do with actually tagging and titling vehicles since in PA the 'customer interface' is done through private franchises.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
3/21/14 3:25 p.m.
bigfoot21075 wrote: The Exocet has neither by this definition; Street rod. A motor vehicle that: (1) Is 25 years old or older; and (2) Has been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design

Start any project with a "Volkswagen Beetle" and it clears MVA criteria.

When I was down there I titled everything as a 77 Rabbit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e1Rv85zUHCbMq3epg9WMOOdVwAkReQpSr4K8CqxGGJLjrb2THw0jlc9EWfxCem7v