Markde
Markde New Reader
3/4/13 10:43 p.m.

I've been waiting to find the time/cash to get into auto-x for a while now and it seems that this summer may be my chance.

I also may go for the challenge this year as I'm headed back south for work come Sept. Currently I have $1500 into the beemer and already have most of the turbo hardware. In the middle of doing the timing belt/wp/etc, and after that all it needs is tires, which will be kuhmo so they wont count against me.

Anyway, any opinions on using this car to get into auto-x? I realize it has way more power than I may ever need even without boost, but I rather not beat up the volvo and getting a third car makes the bmw useless as the fun car.

I figure if I really get into racing I can find a nice hardtop shell at some point and swap all the good stuff over.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/4/13 11:22 p.m.

Check out my avatar.

It is what I got started in. I can say nothing bad about autocrossing in one, other than you won't be competitive in any class, and it isn't as good as a hardtop. I've since moved on to a Miata, but the E30 vert is still in Dads garage, and it will still get out to the occasional autocross. Mine is only a 318, so somewhat apples to oranges with yours.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/4/13 11:22 p.m.

SCARRMRCC
SCARRMRCC Reader
3/5/13 7:33 a.m.

Remember, autocross is fun. As long as you can legally run the car in autocross, you will have fun. First place is more fun, but just driving is fun enough to be worth it.

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
3/5/13 8:49 p.m.

One of my first Auto-x was in my 88 325 Convertible. I had a strut brace which made it a little stiffer. The vert flexes a lot. Once you drive a hard-top E30 in an auto-x, you'll know what I mean... Good luck... and just enjoy the heck out of it.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/5/13 9:25 p.m.

Don't worry about being competitive, just have fun. Hell, I'm taking my e30 rallycross car out to an autocross this weekend just for E36 M3s and giggles, and it's classed in E Prepared, haha. I'll probably be the slowest car out there!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
emubLadyZkqHuWNl7bYrKHQ6XdGSxFbsnJXZABewpqyRkzK8vC0uDUbEi6KAAPHb