1 2 3
NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
12/7/15 9:19 a.m.

Curious if anyone had any feel for how the ND is moving?

I had reason to be at the Mazda stealership last week, and they have had the same (and only) ND display model sitting right-outside the front door as they did when I stopped by a couple of months ago for a dose of sticker shock reality.

Rarely have I seen such a rich coat of rotor rust on any car, let alone one that should be getting test drives. Either the rotors are made of a new material that turns red, or that thing has not moved in a long time.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
12/7/15 9:28 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Curious if anyone had any feel for how the ND is moving? I had reason to be at the Mazda stealership last week, and they have had the same (and only) ND display model sitting right-outside the front door as they did when I stopped by a couple of months ago for a dose of sticker shock reality. Rarely have I seen such a rich coat of rotor rust on any car, let alone one that should be getting test drives. Either the rotors are made of a new material that turns red, or that thing has not moved in a long time.

Well do your duty. Test drive it and remove the rust.

I've seen a few, probably at the same rate I saw NC's appearing.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
12/7/15 9:31 a.m.

They are moving in Southern California. Over the weekend we had a number at our last event, running C Street. This was our last event of the year and at least three were running on Sunday, upgrades for the car are still coming. One was just two weeks off the lot.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/7/15 9:42 a.m.

It's not a good time of year to be selling small convertibles in Canada.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/7/15 9:47 a.m.

0 NDs by me so far. By the same amount of time after release, 1 Toyobaru was imported.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
12/7/15 9:50 a.m.

I saw one just last night at the grocery store parking lot in Pearl White, in Tulsa! First live one I have seen. Me wants a Club Model in Soul Red Metalic

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/7/15 9:53 a.m.

One white one and one red one at AX yesterday. I didn't ever get around to looking at them closely but I did watch them run. They didn't look any tippier than the NC's running in CS. Probably selling more of them in Texas than up north right now.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
12/7/15 9:53 a.m.

I know there are a couple of them driving around Reno, but I've actually never seen another one on the road out here. In the Bay Area, yes, but not up here. Mind you, most of the ones I see up here are NAs.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/7/15 9:55 a.m.

I've seen a number of them, but it seems they're starting to go into winter hibernation.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
12/7/15 9:59 a.m.

Frankly, any new model ragtop that carries a 25% markup over the already high MSRP & comes out in the fall should be expected to sit awhile. The dealers don't care, they normally don't sell many ragtops in most of North America this time of the year anyway. If you sell just one, make an extra $5,000 or more over MSRP. If you don't sell it now, it'll move in the Spring. And you might even bring in a few grand over MSRP then too.

I'd rather see dealers mark the prices up and let them sit than do what happened when 240Zs came out. The dealers who weren't used to selling imported cars would load them up with pin stripes, vinyl tops, two tone paint, bumperettes, and all the other silly stuff they put on Chevies and Fords to increase their profits. And sadly, people who were used to buying Chevies and Fords often thought that was OK back then!

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
12/7/15 10:03 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Curious if anyone had any feel for how the ND is moving? I had reason to be at the Mazda stealership last week, and they have had the same (and only) ND display model sitting right-outside the front door as they did when I stopped by a couple of months ago for a dose of sticker shock reality. Rarely have I seen such a rich coat of rotor rust on any car, let alone one that should be getting test drives. Either the rotors are made of a new material that turns red, or that thing has not moved in a long time.
Well do your duty. Test drive it and remove the rust. I've seen a few, probably at the same rate I saw NC's appearing.

quickly googles the nearest mazda dealer

"Its my duty, the poor thing is depending on me to test drive it!"

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/7/15 10:19 a.m.

I have seen a couple. Even a black one. Not a lot though. Its not really a good time for selling them, even in So Cal. Rain is coming and soon... it will dip below 60....

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
12/7/15 10:41 a.m.

I've seen one on every road trip I've taken to Atlanta.

:seinfeldatlantameme:

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
12/7/15 10:46 a.m.

I'm surprised at how few I've seen here in the SF Bay Area. Only one on the road, and I client of mine just bought one, but I haven't seen it yet. I'd say they are selling slow based on my completely, totally subjective experience. You'd think you'd see more in this area where I 'vert makes sense most of the year...I was expecting to see them all over by now, like with the Toyoburu. I should say that I haven't been to an autox lately.

The one I did see looked fantastic.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/7/15 10:46 a.m.

My parents got a killer deal on theirs. It was the last day of the month, and the dealer had incentives to move any Mazda, including an MX-5.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
12/7/15 11:51 a.m.

Here in the desert I'm seeing them in the wild more and more. Several around town, one at the autocross last month, and now there's one in the parking lot here at work.

Makes sense they're moving in the warmer climes (or so it seems from these posts...).

calteg
calteg HalfDork
12/7/15 12:35 p.m.

I've seen two around Austin, both burgundy. The Mazda dealership has had the same 3 sitting on their lot for at least two months...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
12/7/15 12:37 p.m.

Our local Miata owners club has about 60 cars currently. One is an ND, owned by a guy who must be well into his seventies.Two weeks ago the local dealer still had the one I looked at 2 months ago.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/7/15 12:43 p.m.

I saw one in my garage this morning!

We're not a Mazda town, no dealer for 250 miles. But there is a civilian ND in town now, and I don't think there are any 2012-15 models.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
12/7/15 1:31 p.m.

I've seen a few in the wild, but not as many as I would expect. They're still pretty heavy in the markup around here.

johndej
johndej Reader
12/7/15 1:49 p.m.

I've seen 3 or 4 in VA. The local mazda dealer had a good 3 or 4 more a month or so back when I drove by.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
12/7/15 2:13 p.m.

I have yet to see one.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
12/7/15 4:16 p.m.

I haven't seen one in the wild here yet. But central Kentucky is corvette territory so I don't expect to see many.

einy
einy New Reader
12/7/15 7:29 p.m.

Have yet to see one on the street anywhere around the Cincinnati, OH area. Not even one between here and Mikwaukee and back over Thanksgiving. Sure hope they are successful ....

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/7/15 7:49 p.m.

doubt ill ever see one, i havnt seen any generation of miata in person. they just dont seem to sell real well in these farm communities. Not to mention the 30 degree mornings were having for this mild winter just dont scream go buy a new convertible.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2pkXs88Upa7jQGjxgeokjqjbbFfi7SJExYW2i1aGWD68OC8XO9XzwNfHfccRy1u2