Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/25/24 5:01 p.m.

I just got a carfax on the van I'm probably going to look at.

It has no claims, no accidents reported, but like the title says, Auction announced as structural damage under auction announcements.

I've read that they do this for police cars, previously, or currently installed accessories like hitches, etc. This van was being used as a delivery van for some kind of specialized application, the rear seats are out, and some of the hardware is still installed inside.

Thoughts? Is this true? Should I still look at it anyway?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/25/24 6:14 p.m.

Check it over.  If it looks like a pretzel underneath, walk away.  If not, buy it knowing that the resale value will take a hit- Good for you when buying it, bad if you decide to sell it.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
7/25/24 6:51 p.m.

If the Carfax and title are clean it shouldnt be an issue when you go to sell it as long as it doesnt pick up some bad juju along the way.  

Its definitely worth an in-person inspection though.   

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
7/25/24 7:23 p.m.

If any of the hardware, or extra wiring goes through the firewall, it's a required announcement. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/25/24 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I suspect that's the reason for it. 

Thanks for the replies. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/26/24 7:04 a.m.

I've seen them call that out for damaged tie down holes/brackets on the chassis from ham-fisted transport guys. Not necessarily a big deal.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/26/24 4:56 p.m.

Thanks guys. I looked at the van, it didn't work out for reasons detailed in the confessions thread.

It was a very good price, the right year and mileage, but I've decided to stop looking for the deal and just spend the money. Most times it works out but I've regretted some purchases in the past where I chased the deal. This one very well could have been one of those.

calteg
calteg UltraDork
7/26/24 5:06 p.m.

What kind of van? A lot of the older vans are ladder frames, that's thick gauge steel. Typically you'll only see a frame announcement if

a) tow hitch is welded instead of bolted

b) car got hit by a train and launched airborn

Most dealers are loathe to announce frame unless they absolutely have to, it crushes the value, even for other dealers. Structural damage annoucnements at auction often show up on Autocheck, but never on Carfax

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cctZPVmIp5FtcMZngWaeks5suufK1XRUMzRypS4Dkd1tkhJyzd59ARZ3fakwo4KT