1 2 3
spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
2/1/12 8:49 p.m.

So a few weeks ago, my SCCA region held an autocross at the new local motorsports park. Unfortunately, we had trouble with people sticking around to work their assignments after their runs. One guy in particular was fingered, probably because he had a new GTR, and got called out on our facebook page. Evidently he felt like he had to redeem himself and this is what he had to say....

By the way, he came in 10th overall and 18th in the PAX. Among others, he was beaten by a 1988 Honda Crx Si...... Some people.

Unfortunately, I did not run as my car eats gas and E36 M3s apex seals...

irish44j
irish44j Dork
2/1/12 8:56 p.m.

hopefully the SCCA director for autocross makes a phone call to the SCCA director for HPDEs and such.....

Miller Richmond = the guy in the "track day" animation.

He likes to drive "flatout" I bet.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
2/1/12 9:05 p.m.

alternately: call Nissan dealer, inform them of said GT-R's motorsports participation. Nissan North America is very, very strict when it comes to warranty restrictions on GT-Rs, for obvious reasons.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/1/12 9:20 p.m.
spriteracer wrote: By the way, he came in 10th overall and 18th in the PAX. Among others, he was beaten by a 1988 Honda Crx Si...... Some people.

Sounds like a cocky jerk. I'm glad the CRX took his lunch money.....

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/1/12 9:34 p.m.

Reminds me of this guy

AutoX 1

AutoX 2

peter
peter Reader
2/1/12 9:36 p.m.

Used to be if you didn't work, you didn't get a time. Or PAX.

I assumed he meant public roads, not track days.

Calling Nissan would be low... low, but probably very gratifying to whomever had to cover his assignment.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
2/1/12 10:20 p.m.

What a jackass. He's a smug shiny happy person that is making up for something owning a GTR. He's someone who thinks he's better than everyone else.

Probably smells his own farts too.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
2/1/12 10:29 p.m.

Is 10th overall and 18th pax good or bad? My local region I'm happy when I PAX <20 since we usually have 200+ entries. Other smaller regions I would be disappointed with the same results.

Anyway, that guy is a douche. I'd disagree with any form of retaliation except not listing his time or black-listing him. Sounds like he makes enough of his own trouble.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
2/1/12 10:37 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Is 10th overall and 18th pax good or bad? My local region I'm happy when I PAX <20 since we usually have 200+ entries. Other smaller regions I would be disappointed with the same results. Anyway, that guy is a douche. I'd disagree with any form of retaliation except not listing his time or black-listing him. Sounds like he makes enough of his own trouble.

a quick google search shows the results of the event. Looks like it was 120 cars or so, and really the only cars that beat him were some Z06s and a bunch of prepared-class things.....including that CRX. So it's not exactly like he was getting beaten by stock miatas, lol

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/1/12 11:38 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Anyway, that guy is a douche. I'd disagree with any form of retaliation except not listing his time or black-listing him. Sounds like he makes enough of his own trouble.

This............

It's SOP to delete results for competitors who don't fulfill their work assignments. With his attitude and the interwebs, he's looking at a body-slamming reality check.

B14boy
B14boy New Reader
2/1/12 11:52 p.m.

Is this for real? I'm guessing it's a younger guy by the reply in the pic.

mr2peak
mr2peak Reader
2/2/12 12:31 a.m.

Anyone else bail on their obligations? Not to say his response is anything but rude, but perhaps he's getting extra flak because he owns a nice car?

I'm doing my best to be objective...

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/2/12 5:23 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Reminds me of this guy AutoX 1 AutoX 2

I've met that guy!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/2/12 5:56 a.m.

Make a list of offenders and make them work a shift before they can run at all future events. Seems like a simple solution that does not require public flogging.

sergio
sergio New Reader
2/2/12 6:16 a.m.

I say let the guy run an HPDE then send the info and maybe a video to Nissan......

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/2/12 6:46 a.m.

A good reason why it's easier to entice people to work with rewards vs. forcing them to do so.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
2/2/12 6:48 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Make a list of offenders and make them work a shift before they can run at all future events. Seems like a simple solution that does not require public flogging.

This. I haven't run autox in many years, but I used to a lot. When people would skip out on assignments, the penalty would be to have their times disqualified. I never understood that, as if they left early, they probably didn't care about their PAX or anything else. There were a decent number of people who left after running. One of the reasons I stopped doing autox was that I just didn't have the time to stay all day for a couple of parking lot runs, and I refused to be one of those schmuks who left after running.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/2/12 6:51 a.m.

In the past we had a lot of problems with the street tire classes not working their assignments. (I am not saying everyone so hold the hate mail.) The solution: the classes with high rates of no shows ran 3rd group, meaning they worked the first. Problem solved.

This guy sounds like an arrogant ass.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
2/2/12 6:59 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: A good reason why it's easier to entice people to work with rewards vs. forcing them to do so.

^^This. I ran with SCCA many times (always handling my assignments) but it was tough. With AROC, I'd usually show up to set up the course, that way I can leave when I want to.
I don't really understand the reason to skip out on your assignments though. Everytime I go to an AROC event I work, even though the last 4 times I didn't even run. I get a better view of the action out on a corner...but I do miss the shade.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/2/12 7:12 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Make a list of offenders and make them work a shift before they can run at all future events. Seems like a simple solution that does not require public flogging.
This. I haven't run autox in many years, but I used to a lot. When people would skip out on assignments, the penalty would be to have their times disqualified. I never understood that, as if they left early, they probably didn't care about their PAX or anything else. There were a decent number of people who left after running. One of the reasons I stopped doing autox was that I just didn't have the time to stay all day for a couple of parking lot runs, and I refused to be one of those schmuks who left after running.

Autocross clubs don't hire people to work the course; it's understood that part of the condition of entering the event is to help shag cones for the other entrants. It's not fair to the people who stand out in the hot sun (especially here in Florida) chasing cones for your runs to fail to return the favor. It's just common courtesy.

And about the "staying all day for a couple of parking lot runs" comment: If you aren't hooked on the adrenaline rush afforded by the most intense 40 seconds of your life, then check your heartbeat - it must have stopped some time back.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/2/12 7:18 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
alfadriver wrote: A good reason why it's easier to entice people to work with rewards vs. forcing them to do so.
^^This. I ran with SCCA many times (always handling my assignments) but it was tough. With AROC, I'd usually show up to set up the course, that way I can leave when I want to. I don't really understand the reason to skip out on your assignments though. Everytime I go to an AROC event I work, even though the last 4 times I didn't even run. I get a better view of the action out on a corner...but I do miss the shade.

(umbrelas to a great job of shading both the sun and the rain.... )

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
2/2/12 7:44 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: Autocross clubs don't hire people to work the course; it's understood that part of the condition of entering the event is to help shag cones for the other entrants. It's not fair to the people who stand out in the hot sun (especially here in Florida) chasing cones for your runs to fail to return the favor. It's just common courtesy. And about the "staying all day for a couple of parking lot runs" comment: If you aren't hooked on the adrenaline rush afforded by the most intense 40 seconds of your life, then check your heartbeat - it must have stopped some time back.

I agree it's common courtesy to shag cones for others. I did it in the hot sun (not quite Florida sun, but still hot), pouring rain, etc...we even ran some winter events, and I remember standing out there when it was 20 degrees and windy. Like you said, they did it for you, so you absolutely owe it to them.

Don't take the parking lot run comment as an insult. I probably did 30-40 events, and thoroughly enjoyed each one. Each run is intense. But I would leave home at 7am and often not get back until between 3 and 5pm. We would get 5 runs, sometimes 4. My weekends started getting busier and busier, and at some point I had to decide if the time investment was worth it. For me, it no longer was. Just my own decision. If a small autox group ever starts up near me where the track is close to home and everyone can get in 5 runs before lunch, I'd be back in a heartbeat. The one I still have....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
2/2/12 8:19 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: (umbrelas to a great job of shading both the sun and the rain.... )

Course workers cannot use umbrellas at many SCCA events. You can't sprint to a cone and reset it too well with an umbrella in your hand.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/2/12 8:31 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: And about the "staying all day for a couple of parking lot runs" comment: If you aren't hooked on the adrenaline rush afforded by the most intense 40 seconds of your life, then check your heartbeat - it must have stopped some time back.

It's not even that for me, though of course I love the driving. I just like the chance to hang out and socialize with other gearheads in 3D rather than 2D. But then again, I grew up going to the R/C flying field with my dad and hanging out with a bunch of old duffers and retired pilots.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/2/12 8:44 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: And about the "staying all day for a couple of parking lot runs" comment: If you aren't hooked on the adrenaline rush afforded by the most intense 40 seconds of your life, then check your heartbeat - it must have stopped some time back.

Yeah, about that 40 seconds thing. It is a rush. At first, when that is novel, it may be enough. A lot of people burn out on it after about five years, though, because of the small amount of actual seat time. Tim Suddard even briefly mentioned the issue in an editorial. That inspired a few discussions on how to improve the autocross experience. There were quite a few good ideas mentioned:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/tims-editorial/23980/page1/
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/fix-autocrossing-pt-2/23486/page1/
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/so-really-why-are-autocrosses-on-sundays/39996/page1/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tEoijnVY5RVlZ6i5WrS9s2MdNwdh4JHDGgKJS4FvxhxnUD56AdXjK790vmwW4NXF