2 3 4
steverife
steverife New Reader
2/4/12 10:51 a.m.

I actually like the heat. There is a point somewhere above 90 degrees that makes autocross brutal but I'll take 90 degrees over 50 degrees any day, especially if there is a chance of rain. My only issue is that I drink so much fluid that I have a hard to working a heat without needing to use the restroom.

I guess I've always found holding an umbrella far more burdensome than the heat.

Knurled
Knurled Dork
2/4/12 12:18 p.m.
wae wrote: I always thought the best view of the event was being out on the course.

That's why I'm always happy to work first/run second. I get to see what other mistakes people make so I don't make them.

I volunteered to bring and cook breakfast for the folks that camped at the site overnight to make up for it.

The ant-flavored sausages were delicious.

(Ants got onto the food post-cooking. I was so hungry, I didn't care. The ants paid for their tickets, my stomach said let 'em crash!)

mgdriver
mgdriver None
2/4/12 4:31 p.m.

We autoX on Thursday nights (it doesn't get dark here in the North until after 9 PM.) For those who do not pull their weight we do not allow them back. As organizer I will talk to them right after a slip up with the option to make ammends. After the event it is aways us old farts cleaning up while all the young ones have long gone. It is a sign of the "me first" times we live in.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
2/4/12 4:55 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Javelin wrote: Funny, the PCA and NASA sanction as many autocrosses (and are as "well known") as the SCCA, and they don't have *nearly* as many silly pedantic rules...
I got a cease and desist phone call because our small group of 20-odd autocrossers was using the NASA classification system. We weren't claiming to be NASA or anything, just using their points-based classing. Apparently this opens them up to liability or some nonsense. They did offer to let us run sanctioned events, which meant we got to use their more expensive insurance. I respectfully declined. Now we don't use a classing system at all, it's basically 100% timed fun runs. We used to put days on where you'd get 12-odd runs for $25.

We used NASA's classing rules with no problem. Got permission from them first. Had to state that we were using their rules.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
2/4/12 5:02 p.m.
mgdriver wrote: We autoX on Thursday nights (it doesn't get dark here in the North until after 9 PM.) For those who do not pull their weight we do not allow them back. As organizer I will talk to them right after a slip up with the option to make ammends. After the event it is aways us old farts cleaning up while all the young ones have long gone. It is a sign of the "me first" times we live in.

In our ice racing, we have a rule that if you spill oil or antifreeze, you have to clean it up. A guy blew his engine and left a trail of oil as he towed the car off the lake. He fefused to clean up the oil. He doesn't race with us any more. I know, not really the same thing but failure to comply to the rules can be a reason for expulsion.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/4/12 5:14 p.m.

We used to scoop up the offending snow and shovel it into his trunk.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
2/7/12 5:35 p.m.

Nothing new. Occasionally you get a douchebag who talks big and then tucks tail and leaves after the first run, or the first event if you're unlucky.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/7/12 5:46 p.m.
iceracer wrote:
Keith wrote:
Javelin wrote: Funny, the PCA and NASA sanction as many autocrosses (and are as "well known") as the SCCA, and they don't have *nearly* as many silly pedantic rules...
I got a cease and desist phone call because our small group of 20-odd autocrossers was using the NASA classification system. We weren't claiming to be NASA or anything, just using their points-based classing. Apparently this opens them up to liability or some nonsense. They did offer to let us run sanctioned events, which meant we got to use their more expensive insurance. I respectfully declined. Now we don't use a classing system at all, it's basically 100% timed fun runs. We used to put days on where you'd get 12-odd runs for $25.
We used NASA's classing rules with no problem. Got permission from them first. Had to state that we were using their rules.

That was not given to me as an option, even when I asked. Something to do with a kart organization getting sued.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VQzzQlcdaXQt7vXAWB8VXUyNUwGR5c5J2WM4zUakmfVgTvwa0OIi5Lrna49smGST