1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/15/11 1:36 p.m.

^Out of curiousity, what information where you looking for that you haven't been able to find?

BigD
BigD New Reader
3/15/11 1:41 p.m.

It's not that you can't get good information out of r3v, it's just not worth the hassle (unless it's in the archives). I've found e30tech to be the place to ask serious questions. R3v has a few guys who still know what they're doing but they're getting fewer and fewer in number. Most of them have either left or keep quiet. I've been around on it since almost the beginning (back when Jordan got chased away from everywhere else), and watched it go down the toilet over the years. There used to be some very smart and helpful people there, and they were the norm.

The one thing that I will always love r3v for is how it handles attention whores. Most other forums, when girls join looking for an ego boost, it turns into 20 pages of OMGHI2U, "tits or gtfo", or "don't pay attention to these jerks. Can I have your number?". On r3v it's 20 pages of "you're fat and ugly" or "your car looks like crap". They don't last longer than a week.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Reader
3/15/11 1:46 p.m.

I just sent you a message, ShadowSix.

Buy the best E30 you can, the cleaner it is when you get it the more you'll love it. That said:

There is what appears to be a really nice 1991 318is for sale in this area; I can go look at it and give you my impressions of it if you want to travel.

Sparkles
Sparkles None
3/15/11 2:15 p.m.
BigD wrote: It's not that you can't get good information out of r3v, it's just not worth the hassle (unless it's in the archives). I've found e30tech to be the place to ask serious questions. R3v has a few guys who still know what they're doing but they're getting fewer and fewer in number. Most of them have either left or keep quiet. I've been around on it since almost the beginning (back when Jordan got chased away from everywhere else), and watched it go down the toilet over the years. There used to be some very smart and helpful people there, and they were the norm. The one thing that I will always love r3v for is how it handles attention whores. Most other forums, when girls join looking for an ego boost, it turns into 20 pages of OMGHI2U, "tits or gtfo", or "don't pay attention to these jerks. Can I have your number?". On r3v it's 20 pages of "you're fat and ugly" or "your car looks like crap". They don't last longer than a week.

That's big reason as to why I currently want to leave now. This forum seems really informative, mature, and put together. Its at the point where I just want to sell my e30 because they've taken the joy and fun out of it. I was recommended to come here, as everything is well kept and put together. It's a relief to find a forum where I can ask actual technical questions and get help. Unfortunately R3v consists of a bunch of immature jerks with intelligence and respect issues, especially towards females.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/15/11 2:21 p.m.

^Again, if you would sell a car BECAUSE of ONE forum on the internet, you really, REALLY need to grow a thicker skin.

I had no idea people would really become this butthurt over the internet.

We should just make it illegal for people to say mean or ironic words!!!!!!

Sparkles
Sparkles New Reader
3/15/11 2:24 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^Again, if you would sell a car BECAUSE of ONE forum on the internet, you really, REALLY need to grow a thicker skin. I had no idea people would really become this butthurt over the internet. We should just make it illegal for people to say mean or ironic words!!!!!!

If someone just won't stop putting you and your hobby down, sooner or later you're not going to enjoy it. It's like a football player being kicked in the groin every time he goes to punt. Sooner or later he's going to quit.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/15/11 2:24 p.m.
Sparkles wrote:
z31maniac wrote: ^Again, if you would sell a car BECAUSE of ONE forum on the internet, you really, REALLY need to grow a thicker skin. I had no idea people would really become this butthurt over the internet. We should just make it illegal for people to say mean or ironic words!!!!!!
If someone just won't stop putting you and your hobby down, sooner or later you're not going to enjoy it. It's like a football player being kicked in the groin every time he goes to punt. Sooner or later he's going to quit.

He has a good point though... You don't have to be part of the online community, or part of that online community. Don't like it? Leave it, or go to a better one. The car is still an awesome car, don't let a bunch of idiots change your opinion about it.

Sparkles
Sparkles New Reader
3/15/11 2:28 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Sparkles wrote:
He has a good point though... You don't have to be part of the online community, or part of that online community. Don't like it? Leave it, or go to a better one. The car is still an awesome car, don't let a bunch of idiots change your opinion about it.

I completely agree, I don't want to hate my car or my hobby because of a bunch of immature jerk offs. Hence the reason as to why I am searching for better forums with intelligent members. I love my car and I've just about got everything ordered to fix it up. I don't want to be pushed off to quit over some cyber bullies who can't get a gf in real life so they take it out on any female that joins.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/15/11 2:48 p.m.

^You haven't been on the internet much have you?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/15/11 2:56 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^Out of curiousity, what information where you looking for that you haven't been able to find?

Mainly the damn shifter... which seems to be my albatross on that car... All I asked for was somebody in my area with a UUC set-up to contact me (asked on e30tech as well). Nothing useful came from that.

The end result for me is a car still in pieces in my garage because I've yet to find any enthusiasm to work on it (other than the desire it get if off my damn lift..).

Re: r3v vs. women... well, I'd have to question any woman who joins a forum with some of the unmoderated threads over there. R3v definitely feels like a "Boyz Only - No Grrls Allowed" forum. However, I have to agree with Sparkles that her treatment seemed particulary harsh. But again, I'm used to MINI forums - where women participants are common and such treatment would be dealt with harshly and quickly. Hell, the Philly MINI club was started by a woman and at least half of the active members are women.

Sparkles
Sparkles New Reader
3/15/11 3:09 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^You haven't been on the internet much have you?

To be honest with you, not really. I check facebook and my email. Look up parts for my car, and that's about it. Besides that I work, I do all the lovely womanly things such as laundry, cooking, and cleaning. It's sad to see the way guys act in their free time, if that is a correct representation of it.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/15/11 3:11 p.m.

What about the shifter?

Looking for the difference between pre/post 8/86 production dates? Just trying to help!

As far as sparkles, I didn't see what happened on R3V.

Sparkles
Sparkles New Reader
3/15/11 3:26 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: What about the shifter? Looking for the difference between pre/post 8/86 production dates? Just trying to help! As far as sparkles, I didn't see what happened on R3V.

Haha believe me, you don't want to know.

BigD
BigD New Reader
3/15/11 3:26 p.m.
Sparkles wrote: That's big reason as to why I currently want to leave now. This forum seems really informative, mature, and put together. Its at the point where I just want to sell my e30 because they've taken the joy and fun out of it. I was recommended to come here, as everything is well kept and put together. It's a relief to find a forum where I can ask actual technical questions and get help. Unfortunately R3v consists of a bunch of immature jerks with intelligence and respect issues, especially towards females.

I appreciate where you're coming from better than most. There are few things that bother me more than bullies and the internet provides the ultimate power for that kind of cowardice. Unfortunately, the average person is very meek and fearful, so when given the power to be the aggressor and not have to worry about consequences, it's like a coming-out party.

The only solution I've found is to not get involved. As you know, you can't just ignore them. I can't recall any instance in history that I've witnessed, when someone claimed that the verbal abuse they were receiving didn't bother them, and truly meant it (and those words weren't later followed by a violent outburst). I've even stopped being very involved in forums where the aggressors are people you are likely to meet. I'm a 300 lb powerlifter with some former world and current national records, and I still have people call me names on local forums, and then later either avoid me, or when I see them and prepare to teach them manners, they greet me with "Hey dude, how's it going!!!"

You'll eventually have an epiphany like I did during a track school. Our local BMW Club chapter went quickly downhill with politics and the schools became very unpleasant to attend but I still felt like I had to go (even though I don't think they had any theory left to teach me, I just needed more seat time). And it hit me - this is my hobby! There are enough things in life that I have to do. This is what I do with the rest of the time. If THIS becomes stressful and unpleasant, then what's the point???

If r3v bugs you, don't post there. But I still propose that the politics forum is fun to read. :)

BTW if you want another great forum, perhaps not for technical questions but general car interest discussion, with a great member base and close moderation, have a look at The Car Lounge (don't be put off by it being on a VW forum, ironically TCL rips on VW-fanbois the hardest):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?1-The-Car-Lounge

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/15/11 4:18 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: What about the shifter? Looking for the difference between pre/post 8/86 production dates? Just trying to help! As far as sparkles, I didn't see what happened on R3V.

I'm just not happy with it after replacing everything that can be replaced along with a Z3 lever. When I bought the car, it was really bad... but I was disappointed to still find a lot of play that is simply built into the design. I'd be willing to fork over the $ for a UUC provided I'm 100% confident it will do what I want it to. My car is an '88 with the guilbo damper. Accessing the shifter is impossible w/o droping the driveshaft. It's all such an incredibly poor design compared to what I'm used to.

My recent fun with r3v is E30 values... and how they'll say how worthless a car is and how you should never pay more that $2000 for one... and then I'll post a link back to Sonic's f/s ad for my car and let them read all of the glowing raves for the car... and watch the thread just die.

Sparkles apparently had a run-in with the other 'r3v grrl' ...whatever her[screen]name is... don't feel like going there right now.... which didn't seem to make any sense... Plus the typical crap.

Personally, I try never to post something I wouldn't say to somebody's face. Most people who know me personally in both regards would agree.

Sparkles
Sparkles New Reader
3/15/11 4:39 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
I'm just not happy with it after replacing everything that can be replaced along with a Z3 lever. When I bought the car, it was really bad... but I was disappointed to still find a lot of play that is simply built into the design. I'd be willing to fork over the $ for a UUC provided I'm 100% confident it will do what I want it to. My car is an '88 with the guilbo damper. Accessing the shifter is impossible w/o droping the driveshaft. It's all such an incredibly poor design compared to what I'm used to. My recent fun with r3v is E30 values... and how they'll say how worthless a car is and how you should never pay more that $2000 for one... and then I'll post a link back to Sonic's f/s ad for my car and let them read all of the glowing raves for the car... and watch the thread just die. Sparkles apparently had a run-in with the other 'r3v grrl' ...whatever her[screen]name is... don't feel like going there right now.... which didn't seem to make any sense... Plus the typical crap. Personally, I try never to post something I wouldn't say to somebody's face. Most people who know me personally in both regards would agree.

Well, she started off talking down about me in 3 different threads, making smart remarks, obviously going out of her way doing so. The thing about me is, if someone were to do the same thing in a social setting in real life, I'd confront them, say exactly what was on my mind, and beat the living E36 M3 out of them if it escalated to that point. Not many people will say or do anything once they are out of the safe premises of their computer screen and keyboard. I think that's why I was so pissed off besides being publicly degraded for no reason except I was threatening her "queen bee" position because I am female.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/15/11 4:43 p.m.

^You're taking the internet too seriously. Beating the E36 M3 out of someone for something they said? Is this a middle school playground?

I guess those of us who have been using the internetz understand that and newbies don't.

Best thing to do is either give it back and don't let it get under your skin, or just ignore those places on the internet. Becuase any high ground, superior morality kick about how people should or shouldn't act is only throwing gasoline on the fire.

I like the idiotic stuff I read on R3V, and everywhere for that matter. People's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Sparkles
Sparkles New Reader
3/15/11 4:53 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^You're taking the internet too seriously. Beating the E36 M3 out of someone for something they said? Is this a middle school playground? I guess those of us who have been using the internetz understand that and newbies don't. Best thing to do is either give it back and don't let it get under your skin, or just ignore those places on the internet. Becuase any high ground, superior morality kick about how people should or shouldn't act is only throwing gasoline on the fire. I like the idiotic stuff I read on R3V, and everywhere for that matter. People's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Not for it being on the internet, I would not hunt her down and do this. If it were a real life setting and this was the harassment I was getting, yes I would take action. I don't handle disrespect well, especially if there was no reason to be disrespected in the first place. However, it's r3v and the type of people that are on that forum are what drove me to search for another one in the first place. Everyone should be respected. I treat people with respect, the way I would like to be treated. It's a shame that the same can't be said for the rest of the generation.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
3/15/11 7:05 p.m.
I'm just not happy with it after replacing everything that can be replaced along with a Z3 lever. When I bought the car, it was really bad... but I was disappointed to still find a lot of play that is simply built into the design. I'd be willing to fork over the $ for a UUC provided I'm 100% confident it will do what I want it to. My car is an '88 with the guilbo damper. Accessing the shifter is impossible w/o droping the driveshaft. It's all such an incredibly poor design compared to what I'm used to.

My experience with a terrible shifter (also terrible after supposedly everything being replaced - long story) is that the UUC is worth it. Make sure you get (or your car has) the selector joint specified for e30's.

Also, there is a difference on the shift carrier arm between the "e" and the "i" cars (didn't notice what your 88 is, mine's an 86 es) - the shift carrier arm on an "e" is shorter than the "i" arm and the throw pattern of your shifter may be affected - mine was way too far forward relative to center after the UUC install.

Replaced carrier arm with the "i" arm and it was gravy. Very little side to side movement and I think I may go with the z3 shifter to shorten the throw (the gear pattern feels asymmetrical with short side to side and longish throws).

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/16/11 7:26 a.m.

My car is an 88 325is. I'll probably go with the UUC if I keep the car... although after I finally get it back together and running, it'll go up for sale. If it doesn't sell, then I'll dump more money into it.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
3/16/11 12:23 p.m.

It's not too bad a job. With the car high enough on jack stands you can work around everything without dropping the trans if you're only replacing the linkage.

When I put the new carrier arm in, I had to unbolt the trans from the mounts (and just let it hang - everything else was still attached) but for the DSSR it should be pretty straight forward without dropping it (if a bit time consuming, depending on how flexible your joints are...).

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
3/16/11 12:51 p.m.

Ive removed a lot of the driveshaft dampers and not had any problem with vibration on any of em.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/16/11 1:36 p.m.

Yeah, if/when I do it again, the damper won't go back on.

Annoyingly, after getting it all back together I now have a vibration I don't remember from before... so I may send it out to get checked for balance... and the whole 'pre-load' part was a bit disconcerting... no matter how much I pushed on the CS bracket, I couldn't get it back to the same position the original mounting bolts were at.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/16/11 2:56 p.m.

^I bet you accidentally reassembled the driveshaft off a spline in either direction.

Did you put in solid mounts? Solid trans mounts increased NVH at least 200%.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/16/11 7:58 p.m.

I didn't split the drive shaft.

I did put poly trans mounts in and did wonder if that could be the cause.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fUM9CsILriiaDFMb3b4RWiKuYsGqccavhBbXgNb4lxzrQstjhgT2XpfxE3UFbZIK