1 2
hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/18/24 6:38 a.m.

Yesterday I treated myself, an early bday gift, with another MR2 turbo

I knew it was wrecked, but the engine is nice with a huge turbo.

Good deal, I thought, guy drove 3 hours each way to deliver...even rented a trailer so he could. Nice guy.

But then almost instant regret.

It's rough. I knew it was wrecked, but holy crap.

Bought it with intent to part it out

Maybe part of it is the blistering heat right now (yesterday was 103 heat index here in NC)

But the joy of buying a turbo car has never died so quickly.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
7/18/24 6:49 a.m.

Pics please!

Pull drivetrain.  Scrap the rest.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
7/18/24 7:09 a.m.

MR2 Death Kart?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
7/18/24 7:10 a.m.

I know the feeling 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/18/24 7:21 a.m.

The only car purchase that stands out in my memory for quickly regretting it sounds relatively similar. Fairly low cost of entry and I knew it wasn't going to be perfect, but did the deal based on pictures and the seller was willing to deliver it to me. What I got was not what was described. But some of that wasn't readily obvious; took a day or three of poking around to really see what I'd gotten. 

Now, I view an eagerness to deliver the car as a red flag.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/18/24 7:28 a.m.

I bought a cheap blown up miata sight unseen a few states away. I was regretting it before even getting it on the trailer. It was already taking up space in my head and causing undue stress. Dumped pretty quick. 

Walked away from a smoking deal on 2 camaro for the same reason. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/18/24 8:37 a.m.

Here's a walk around video I did just after getting it

I think it just didnt seem AS bad in the pics ha

But it doesnt roll, really. So it's sort of stuck.

HUGE greddy turbo and supporting mods that at first I was stoked on, but now Im thinking it's TOO big of a turbo and it'd be better to sell and buy something smaller, faster spooling.

I underestimated the condition of, well, everything.

Again, maybe it's the heat influencing me.

But Ive given myself two weeks

Two weeks to bust butt and strip it down and then call the scrapyard.

Biggest, hardest thing will be the engine. Im wondering if I can strip enough off the car to make it (the body) liftable with a couple friends lol

If youre not familiar, the engines come out the bottom of these, so while many will use an engine hoist, it's to hoist the rear end up, not the engine out.

I dont have a hoist, either.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/18/24 8:44 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

If you cant lift the engine out, sawzall.  Selling the body for scrap anyways, right?

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/18/24 8:47 a.m.

It kind of looks like you bought yourself a nice engine but the box it shipped in got banged up a bit.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/18/24 9:00 a.m.

Do not be afraid to cut the unibody away from the engine

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/18/24 9:01 a.m.

That's not that bad, you can put it back on the road:

RoadKill did it with the C-body Mopar:

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/18/24 9:06 a.m.

The bald rear tires! Always! An MR2 - or any mid engine car - needs rear traction to not be a total handful. I'm guessing the owner lost traction and couldn't regain it. That's how I got my MR2 spyder engine donor / partout project. It turned out great for me but I had a ton of usable parts to resell from mine, hope yours turns out better.

My log of parting out and sales: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/parting-out-cars-for-fun-and-maybe-profit-2003-mr2/131419/page1/

I ended up with over $8k in parts sales on top of keeping the drivetrain for my use. It can work out. I hope you didn't pay much!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/18/24 9:14 a.m.

Dang, clicking on that link shows me the pics are MIA on my post, it was pre direct image hosting and so I have them on my own server but SSL stuff is messed up somehow. Ugh, I hate that.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/18/24 3:46 p.m.
dculberson said:

Dang, clicking on that link shows me the pics are MIA on my post, it was pre direct image hosting and so I have them on my own server but SSL stuff is messed up somehow. Ugh, I hate that.

I hope the pics come back!

We paid the same amount...well, I paid a hair more as the guy rented a trailer and delivered it to me.

Today is my birthday, wife took me out to a very delicious breakfast and then I just sort of hung out killing time till class (after this post I'll drive a few more minutes away to Wake).

TOMORROW I'll get back out there in the morning.
So far I've sold 100 dollars worth off of it. Only really need about 20 more days like that lol

We'll see how it goes. And great point on the sawzall to the unibody. It's so jacked up, was going to call a scrapyard anyway, so maybe that IS the better option.

GRM rules, thanks yall

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
7/18/24 4:13 p.m.

How much interior is left? I could use a firewall carpet.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
7/18/24 4:21 p.m.

Also, before you said he got T-boned, I 100% would have assumed he went ass backwards into a tree after seeing the bald ass rear tires on that thing.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/18/24 4:26 p.m.
fatallightning said:

How much interior is left? I could use a firewall carpet.

Carpet is there, will need a good cleaning though.
PM me, I can try to get to that tomorrow. Im going to try to strip interior tomorrow. I just want to get all that done so I can concentrate on other bits.

Little by little, strip her down and get her gone.

Try to help other 2 people out along the way

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/18/24 5:25 p.m.

Yes, note to self. If seller is willing and eager to deliver..........might be a red flag.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
7/18/24 6:12 p.m.

Don't try to do much in this heat.  It just sucks.  But selling some little bits and a sawzall will get the drivetrain out.  You can rent a hoist to lift what is left.  I dropped the good part onto a skateboard with 2x4s screwed on, lifted the body and slid out the rest.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/18/24 6:16 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

I was able to work through the Let's Encrypt process to have an SSL certificate issued to my domain. Theoretically the pics will come back up around 5am tomorrow. Modern web stuff is very confusing.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/18/24 8:01 p.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

I underestimated the condition of, well, everything.

Quoted for ultimate GRM-ness. 

You're not alone. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/18/24 8:16 p.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Yes, note to self. If seller is willing and eager to deliver..........might be a red flag.

Sure youre right

He'd been sitting on this a while with the plans of getting a shell to transfer things to and just lost interest over time.

SUPER nice guy, really into these cars, just ready to go. And, yeah, maybe that was the big red flag.

Here we are. lol

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
7/18/24 8:34 p.m.

As long as it was like $300-400 you did real good.  More than that?!??  TBD.

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
7/18/24 8:34 p.m.

I had a T67 Greddy kit on my All-Trac. That thing moved. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/18/24 11:16 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

As long as it was like $300-400 you did real good.  More than that?!??  TBD.

Yes, it was more than that ha

As someone stated, in my mind I was thinking about the engine, basically

Greddy t67, standalone ecu, meth injection kit, sard injectors, intake manifold

Has other things, like intercooler and intake pipe, but those I already have, as well as blitz BOV.

I figured I could sell off enough (like the supra tails) to take care of the cost of car.

We'll see. You right - t b d.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1FvvReCyxGX6o09vOi8KRiHa2fge1OaLqLvWIT9fsSXTLJZOia5MS1trn7RZlQPe