1 2
ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/29/16 11:20 a.m.

...if I am thinking of adding one to the fleet?

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/29/16 12:12 p.m.

my buddy's fiance's BRZ has had the manual trans replaced under warranty atleast 2 times for grinding/hard to get into gear issues, something screwy with the syncro's. That is my limited experience with them

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/29/16 12:33 p.m.

Ouch, anyone else know about transmission issues with these?

Chris

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
8/29/16 12:52 p.m.

In general, I love my '13 FR-S with manual transmission. I don't abuse it or piles tons of miles on, and no transmission issues so far. The only minor reliability issue I've had to date is a broken recirc button on the HVAC.

Don't listen to the critics and drive one to see for yourself if you like it. Coming from a collection of 80's imports, I feel like it has plenty of power, I like the styling, and the chassis is amazing. The steering feel and feedback is good, and the driving experience is very involving. My minor gripes are that the seats aren't quite as comfy as they could be, I get the "crickets" chirping noise on occasion, especially when it is hot out and I fill up with E10. Pure gasoline seems to quiet the car down.

NickD
NickD Dork
8/29/16 12:55 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: ...I get the "crickets" chirping noise on occasion, especially when it is hot out and I fill up with E10. Pure gasoline seems to quiet the car down.

My friend had the same issue. The ethanol has an effect on some of the seals in the high pressure fuel pump and over time can cause damage to the HPFP. Try and run non-ethanol gas if possible.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/29/16 12:57 p.m.
NickD wrote:
ae86andkp61 wrote: ...I get the "crickets" chirping noise on occasion, especially when it is hot out and I fill up with E10. Pure gasoline seems to quiet the car down.
My friend had the same issue. The ethanol has an effect on some of the seals in the high pressure fuel pump and over time can cause damage to the HPFP. Try and run non-ethanol gas if possible.

Interesting, Fuel Quality is blamed on a lot of the High Pressure fuel pump failures of the 2009-2014VW TDI. Have driven the car, love it, just now getting to the point in my lifetime where I can put it in the driveway.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/29/16 1:09 p.m.
NickD wrote:

There have been multiple updates to the HPFP, they still get crickets. It's not harming anything. E0, E10, E85, all are noisy in my 2015.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/29/16 1:10 p.m.

Noise is one thing, failure is another.

java230
java230 Dork
8/29/16 1:47 p.m.

My dad has one, drives 75 miles a day, is out of warranty already. AC died at 34k miles. He and is GF autocross is just about every weekend over the summer.

Body panels are tinfoil. Bumper cover and belly pan is abused by cones. Cracks easily, fender liners are cone removable.

He has coil overs, header/exhaust tune etc, its not a bad little car.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/29/16 2:18 p.m.

I will preface this by saying that I have had an FRS since June 2012 when they first came out. I love how it drives and cant think of anything that I would rather be driving in my price range. It will stay in the fleet for the next 6 years.

I would not track since it is my DD and has to last 6 more years. While it handles well enough for the track, I don't feel that it has the cockroach super-power of a pre-ND Miata. Nothing on this car was over engineered for strength; The Twins were paired down to the bone in every department in order to meet the weight spec and every link is the weakest link.

Pads and rotors for a DIY front brake job are $450 from Toyota. Just under $800 for the front brakes if you want them to do the job. (13% sales tax on labour does not help that number)

Paying $0.80 extra per gallon of 91 octane gets old. Last car I buy that needs premium.

DIY Oil changes are $75 for oil and $20 for a filter at Canadian Tire. Dont ask me why SAE 0-20 is so expensive

Never have come to terms with the huge blind-spots and you cant see anything under 4 foot tall when you back up. Stuff like little kids. Car begs for a rear view camera.

Not a winter car unless you can roll with the shortcomings like windows that don't roll up. It is entertaining to drive with snow-tires, but that is about it.

The radio seems to actually repel radio stations, not sure why. Thank god for apple.

You are going to get tired of every Honda Civic and Chrysler mini van making a point of having a faster car than you.

Subaru engines are stupid. Nothing will ever change my mind on this matter.

Looks amazing from the rear 3/4 view. Embarrassing from the front 3/4 view.

Did I mention I love driving it? If it were a stock, I would give it a "Buy" rating.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/29/16 2:30 p.m.

NOHOME, interesting take on the car!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/16 6:14 p.m.

Power is adequate for me. Unless someone tachs it up to 5k and drops the hammer, you won't loose at a stoplight. You can cram a fair bit in it if you know how to pack. Seems to be a E36 M3 magnet for door dings and scratches. I'm 6ft with really long arms and a 32 in inseam. The seats are perfect. I can pull 28 mpg in town if you keep it under 3,500rpm. 35 on the highway at 75.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
8/29/16 9:16 p.m.

I've had a 2013 FRS for about 15 months. When it's below freezing the transmission doesn't like to go into first gear until the transmission fluid has warmed up, but other than that I've had no transmission problems. The car only has about 35000 miles on it though, with 4 track days since I've had it.

Whiteline sells a stiffener for the transmission mount that is supposed to improve shift feel, I don't know if that will help my problem, but I hope to install one before this winter.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/30/16 7:12 a.m.
Schmidlap wrote: I've had a 2013 FRS for about 15 months. When it's below freezing the transmission doesn't like to go into first gear until the transmission fluid has warmed up, but other than that I've had no transmission problems. The car only has about 35000 miles on it though, with 4 track days since I've had it. Whiteline sells a stiffener for the transmission mount that is supposed to improve shift feel, I don't know if that will help my problem, but I hope to install one before this winter.

What is your impression from the track days?

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/30/16 7:48 a.m.
ChrisHachet wrote: What is your impression from the track days?

I've had two students with them and they are brilliant little handlers that remind me of the BMW E30. Not fast - but if you know how to drive a momentum car they are quick and a lot of fun.

I'll also say the crumple zones work because one of those students took me backwards into the end of the pit wall at NJMP at 80mph. Both of us walked away with bruises. You have to have pretty quick hands to wheel one on slicks in the rain. He did until he didn't.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/30/16 7:54 a.m.

I have two friends who have had engine failures that seem to be related to track days. At least one of the cars was still under warranty and Subaru denied the warranty claim, which is probably legitimate, but stung for him.
There is enough chatter about track failures here in Texas that I wouldn't track one, but I'd love one for a daily. I really enjoy driving them. The "low" power let's you wind the car out a bit at legal speeds which is really enjoyable.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/30/16 7:57 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote:
ChrisHachet wrote: What is your impression from the track days?
I've had two students with them and they are brilliant little handlers that remind me of the BMW E30. Not fast - but if you know how to drive a momentum car they are quick and a lot of fun. I'll also say the crumple zones work because one of those students took me backwards into the end of the pit wall at NJMP at 80mph. Both of us walked away with bruises. You have to have pretty quick hands to wheel one on slicks in the rain. He did until he didn't.

Neat story, amazing how safe modern cars are!

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/30/16 7:58 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I have two friends who have had engine failures that seem to be related to track days. At least one of the cars was still under warranty and Subaru denied the warranty claim, which is probably legitimate, but stung for him. There is enough chatter about track failures here in Texas that I wouldn't track one, but I'd love one for a daily. I really enjoy driving them. The "low" power let's you wind the car out a bit at legal speeds which is really enjoyable.

This would be for a daily. I am in Ohio, but drove Miatas through eleven winters without issues. I might auto X it, but am thinking of finding a beater and doing the Rally x thing.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/30/16 8:04 a.m.
ChrisHachet wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: I have two friends who have had engine failures that seem to be related to track days. At least one of the cars was still under warranty and Subaru denied the warranty claim, which is probably legitimate, but stung for him. There is enough chatter about track failures here in Texas that I wouldn't track one, but I'd love one for a daily. I really enjoy driving them. The "low" power let's you wind the car out a bit at legal speeds which is really enjoyable.
This would be for a daily. I am in Ohio, but drove Miatas through eleven winters without issues. I might auto X it, but am thinking of finding a beater and doing the Rally x thing.

Very similar background. While my write up might seem a bit conflicted, the reality is that living with a sportscar as a DD does require that you put up with some E36 M3. Either worth it to you or not, who knows?

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
8/30/16 8:25 a.m.

I daily one currently in Michigan. I've owned the car for about 8 months and my thoughts are the following:

• very fun to drive even if it so slower than a lot of other cars out there.
  • I really like the way the steering feels. It's quick and direct but I don't really feel like I dart around on the highway.
  • the torque dip between 3500 - 4500 is annoying. I did just get an OFT and tune to eliminate that which did the trick.
  • it could use more space. But if you're used to driving Miatas then it won't be an issue.
  • it's noisy. I think Subaru motors are like a step away from a diesel when it comes to idle noise.
  • it's stiff. Big cracks in the road or bumps sometimes make me feel like I caught air. Who knows, maybe I did.
  • I daily, rallyx, and autox the car and have put 10,000 miles on in the less than 8 months. Aside from the 1st month I had it when it was on the original owners lowering springs and we got a blizzard, I've enjoyed everyone of this miles or events.
ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/30/16 8:56 a.m.
MrLittle wrote: I daily one currently in Michigan. I've owned the car for about 8 months and my thoughts are the following: - very fun to drive even if it so slower than a lot of other cars out there. - I really like the way the steering feels. It's quick and direct but I don't really feel like I dart around on the highway. - the torque dip between 3500 - 4500 is annoying. I did just get an OFT and tune to eliminate that which did the trick. - it could use more space. But if you're used to driving Miatas then it won't be an issue. - it's noisy. I think Subaru motors are like a step away from a diesel when it comes to idle noise. - it's stiff. Big cracks in the road or bumps sometimes make me feel like I caught air. Who knows, maybe I did. - I daily, rallyx, and autox the car and have put 10,000 miles on in the less than 8 months. Aside from the 1st month I had it when it was on the original owners lowering springs and we got a blizzard, I've enjoyed everyone of this miles or events.

Thanks for the endorsement, there is so much negativity on the web with these little cars and they seem fantastic. we had a first gen Scion xB, I am well aware of Toyota/Subaru style trim issues. Also currently drive a diesel, engine noise in these is not an issue.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
8/30/16 8:57 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
ChrisHachet wrote:
Very similar background. While my write up might seem a bit conflicted, the reality is that living with a sportscar as a DD does require that you put up with some E36 M3. Either worth it to you or not, who knows?

It has been worth it to me....it is half an hour of my day each way each day that I get my life back and do not feel like a cog in the machine.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
8/30/16 9:03 a.m.

In reply to ChrisHachet:

Also, I don't know how Subaru is and I'm sure this is largely dealer dependent but the Toyota dealer I've taken my car to for warranty work has been excellent. I had bought a Focus ST brand new and the level of service I received wasn't very good. I bought my FRS used, from a Chevy dealer, and the Toyota dealer has honored everything and never once given me trouble. I even brought it to them with a TSB that wasn't techinically for cars with my vin series ( the squeaky fuel pump) and they replaced it for me. No more crickets!

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
8/30/16 9:04 p.m.

It has the general positives of a Toyota with all the issues of a Subaru Boxer powered...but also the tank like safety build of a Subaru - it's a conflicted car. The Boxer motor is my biggest complaint...would absiolutely rather a DOHC, high revving ROBUST I4 any day - something like an F22C from the S2000. Still, there is absolutely NOTHING else I'd rather be driving...the chassis is simply superb.

Have owned mine since May 25, 2012 and still is on stock suspension...no need to change the suspension whatsoever on this car (until it wears out, which will be when I change it). Absolute blast and insanity in the wet on Continental Extremecontact DW's....wet grip is the same as dry it seems. The way the FR-S handles could be described as extremely precise but also immensely stable at the same time. Guys who run both the S2000 and the FR-S on track give highspeed handling advantage and speed to the FR-S... aero and stability lets you push the car with complete faith.

Id say do it, even though it is Subaru Boxer powered...you can always swap out to something better later....

I bought the thing in spite of knowing it was Subaru Boxer powered...have dealt with 2 other Subaru's before. That's how good it is. Really should have had a Toyota I4 though....

But if Toyota ever builds the S-FR and releases it to the US, I would probably get rid of the FR-S depending on test drive...

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
9/1/16 1:37 a.m.

For the other owners in this thread, where is this mythical land where sedan and minivan drivers actually know what the gas pedal is and how to accelerate? In theory, if I was in the FR-S and got on it hard going up my favorite entrance ramp, shifting near redline, I would be doing just about 100mph at the merge. Most minivan drivers around here seem struggle to get to 50mph before merging.

I do live in Oregon where the drivers tend be a bit mellow, but when I drive mine around at a brisk-side-of-normal pace, and am not afraid of downshifting one gear when needed, I usually find myself held up in traffic, and rarely getting passed. Now, if I downshifted more than one gear...

I do agree with some of the others that the engine doesn't match the high point of the chassis. The flat-four is somehow lacking, and in a way that is hard to put my finger on. It just doesn't feel quite right...the engine doesn't give me the "fizzy feeling" that James May talks about. Like VRacer111, I am still totally happy with the car, and will drive it until something gives. And that something may very well involve me swapping a nice rev-happy inline engine into the FR-S and continuing to drive it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2PkIIbryG9hzkjwNqGSUOI4E6FWl48I3vsvsjGrcUkNmAp6CBMRs443RaMhAHyQ4