1 2
VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
4/10/10 6:24 p.m.

I came home from a trip the other day and there was a covertible C4 sitting under a tarp in my neighbors driveway. I was surprised since there was a dead painters van there for over a year. Turns out my neighbors kid got it in trade for some work the previous owner couldn't pay for. He told me to make him an offer. I would suspect that he'd likely take anything reasonable as he's moving out of town again and my neighbor only had his driveway back for a couple days before the Corvette showed up. I think I may look at it more closely and listen to it run.

What I know... Red automatic with white top over black leather interior. The top leaks so the white top is irrelevant. Interior isn't shredded but has seen much better days. Paint needs love but has shiny new rockers behind the front wheels which may as well be reflectors due to the color difference, old rockers in the car. My neighbor said it's an '86 model and his kid drove it to the house, neighbor starts it up every few days.

I've been loosley looking for a C4 since around the time GRM had the Corvette article in the magazine but they've been out of my price range. I'm not a huge fan of the convertible but I know the wife wouldn't mind driving it until I can find the Mercedes convertible she's after. Also I'd prefer a 6spd but the older I get the less I mind an automatic. I would also have to get rid of the Challenge Jetta to make room for the Corvette also not a huge deal as I'm tiring of the car that keeps trying to kill me. I'm thinking I might offer Challenge $$ for it given the guy's situation but I'll need to feel that out a little more. The guy also isn't a car guy and works way too hard supporting his two kids and a girlfriend he can't stand.

What would you guys pay for it? Not much to compare it to around here(DC) even within 100 miles. The car probably wouldn't be a keeper for me so much as a transition car.

Thanks, Bruce

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks New Reader
4/10/10 7:03 p.m.

give him 1500, plus or minus 500 depending on how well it runs, put a 6spd in it and have a good day. definately jump on it, DEFINITELY

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
4/10/10 7:08 p.m.

Its Red. Strike one. Its an auto. Strike two...

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
4/10/10 8:55 p.m.

C4s can nickle and dime you to death. I had a 94, so the earlier ones may be different (cheaper parts?). Do a quick search for the price on things like wheel hubs, radiator, ECU and make sure the parts prices don t scare you.

I do miss mine, but I don't miss working on it constantly.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/10/10 9:05 p.m.
plance1 wrote: Its Red. Strike one. Its an auto. Strike two...

bzzzzt.... all real corvettes are red...the rest are mistakes.

The auto isnt terrible in these.

glueguy
glueguy New Reader
4/10/10 9:11 p.m.

C4 is one of those cars that I think of when I think of the adage "by the best one you can." Parts are pricey, mid 80's GM quality coupled to a stiff chassis to shake everything apart. On the good side, plenty of spares, parts and advice available. I used to autox an 86 automatic - it's not a bad combo, and probably better than the 4+3 manual of the early C4's. What you described is probably a $2-3k car at most, but sounding like less. I wouldn't say no, just go in eyes open....

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/10/10 10:01 p.m.
glueguy wrote: C4 is one of those cars that I think of when I think of the adage "by the best one you can." Parts are pricey, mid 80's GM quality coupled to a stiff chassis to shake everything apart. On the good side, plenty of spares, parts and advice available. I used to autox an 86 automatic - it's not a bad combo, and probably better than the 4+3 manual of the early C4's. What you described is probably a $2-3k car at most, but sounding like less. I wouldn't say no, just go in eyes open....

I have to agree, I loved my C4 and Im thinking about another, but mine was a 95 LT1 car and I probably wouldnt consider anything other than a 95 or 96 again. The earlier ones had shady quality and the later ones just had the best of refinements and the LT1 motor.

ww
ww SuperDork
4/10/10 11:04 p.m.

Star wars inspired dashes tend to get flaky after 80k or so miles. A friend had an '86 and he had the dash replaced twice by the time he hit 100k miles.

I agree with the mid 90's models.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
4/10/10 11:50 p.m.

Thanks for all the responses.

Cost will be a big factor as I need a cheap buy in to make it happen. That's how I ended up on this board. I won't buy it if it's a total mess... unless it's cheap enough, could be a donor for something.

I'm a realist when it comes to what the car may need. I suppose it's like buying an affordable Porsche but with cheaper replacement parts. Honestly, I'm happy it runs, my last three projects didn't. I figure if the dash goes out I can replace it with a data logger/gauge panel.

Did anyone make a hard top for the convertible models?

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
4/11/10 12:39 a.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: Thanks for all the responses. Cost will be a big factor as I need a cheap buy in to make it happen. That's how I ended up on this board. I won't buy it if it's a total mess... unless it's cheap enough, could be a donor for something. I'm a realist when it comes to what the car may need. I suppose it's like buying an affordable Porsche but with cheaper replacement parts. Honestly, I'm happy it runs, my last three projects didn't. I figure if the dash goes out I can replace it with a data logger/gauge panel. Did anyone make a hard top for the convertible models?

Hard tops exist but are expensive.

automatic means d35 (or 30? don't remember), anyways weaker of the 2 axles.

Wiring pre 90 is pretty crummy.

dash panel could get expensive fast, data-logger could be cable and laptop away from sweet dash however some functions originate from the dash. Ie., the cruise control computer is based on the dash, loose digital goodness loose cruise. Not sure if ALDL input is pre or post dash.

The plus for a c4 is: it is a chassy that can handle very high levels of power and has a lot of potential for upgrades. However it has many limitations. A cage should be very easy to weld in without the roof and will stiffen the body.

bottom line -crap wires, sometimes flaky electronics -trim/interior is $$$! -weak(er) rear axle +forged AL 4w independent suspension +beefy pretty much everything +galvanized frame, fiberglass body +auto tranny is easier ls1 swap

automatic TPI vettes do pretty well in A-stock :)

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
4/11/10 10:24 a.m.

another plus is all 86 verts were late run cars so they got the aluminum heads instead of the old school iron ones, it was a mid year change.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
4/11/10 1:36 p.m.

I've been reading a lot about the C4's lately, as I made something of a surprise purchase of a 6-speed LT1 car. I just put the motor in yesterday (purchased with a rod knock) and hope to be getting impressions soon. First thoughts? Mechanically simple to work on (I installed the motor solo yesterday), surprisingly comfortable seats, GM parts bin stuff (it makes parts cheaper, so I'm not really complaining). Wheel bearings are $$$$ locally ($610 per front wheel bearing) but I found NOS GM front wheel bearings for $200 a piece. Not a deal breaker.

SBC. Need I say more? LS1 swaps are EASY with the auto. I spent a little bit of time trying to figure out how to mount the ZF 6-speed to the LS1 and decided not to just yet.

If you're going to swap to a 6-speed, be aware that the Corvette swap parts are $$$: transmissions seem to be worth ~800-1000, as are the D44 rear ends. I haven't looked hard, but that seems to be FMV. In that case, it's cheaper to buy the 6-speed cars: C4 values seem to have hit bottom.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette New Reader
4/11/10 2:05 p.m.

All Corvettes are Red? Just a book title. The first were all Polo white!

Knurled
Knurled Reader
4/11/10 3:30 p.m.
glueguy wrote: Parts are pricey, mid 80's GM quality coupled to a stiff chassis to shake everything apart.

Well, the springs and shocks are stiff, anyway. The chassis itself isn't quite as scary-noodly as a C3, but it's definitely a flexible flyer.

Am I crazy for WANTING a C4 with an automatic? Besides the facts that about 99.3 percent of them made were automatics, and an engine that torquey doesn't need to be shifted anyway, and GM automatics aren't horrible things like they were German, and the 4 speed sucked and the 6 speed sucked too... besides those facts, are the automatics really something to be avoided?

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
4/15/10 5:33 p.m.

I got home from work on Sunday and the very moment I was going to talk to my neighbor about the car he came to me about it. He decided to buy it himself and wanted to know if I would do the work it needed to pass inspection in exchange for him painting my house. Wonderful I doubt I'll take it on as I hardly have time for my own projects. I'm going to drive it and look it over just so he has an idea of what he's gotten himself into. Thanks for all the info. I'll keep looking.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Dork
4/15/10 8:20 p.m.

head over to the classifieds, there's a really nice blue '88 vert for sale

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
4/16/10 8:49 a.m.

An L98 Vette is one of the few vehicles I absolutely consider a better car with an auto rather than a manual. They have exactly 11 gaggilion lb'ft of torque at 3 rpm and precisely 2hp (look it up, those are the official figures). That engine is so perfectly suited to an auto it's not funny. They're not the fastest cars on earth, but they feel really fast with all that torque and a torque convertor. Also the shift with the old D.N. manual was pretty crappy, even the 6 speed isn't anything to write home about.

All the early C4's had the smaller diff until the Z51 package came out. Yeah it's weaker, but most survive unless doing drag launches on sticky tires.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
4/16/10 9:26 a.m.

Can anyone explain how the 4+3 manual transmissions worked? Or not really how they worked, but how the driver worked them. Was it a normal stickshift with an overdrive button on the stick to select the overdrive in the top three gears or did the transmission decide (like an automatic trans) when to use the overdrive in the top three gears or am I completely misunderstanding things. I've tried searching online for an explanation but couldn't find anything - there's a Corvette forum thread where someone asks about the transmission but 1/2 of the posts were people complaining that the OP didn't fill out his user profile info.

Thanks,

Bob

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
4/16/10 10:13 a.m.
Schmidlap wrote: Was it a normal stickshift with an overdrive button on the stick to select the overdrive in the top three gears

Bingo

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Dork
4/16/10 12:10 p.m.

Actually, you can have the O/D shift in and out by itself, or control it manually. Allowing the auto function is not smooth and shortens the life of the unit drasticly. Yes, I own one. I don't mind the shifting, and the thought of putting an auto trans in a sportscar....yuck. Sorry Mr Thompson....

Auto trans got the weaker D36 diff, manual cars were the D44. all years from what I know.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
4/16/10 12:37 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: head over to the classifieds, there's a really nice blue '88 vert for sale

WHOA, wait a minute... Jeff you are selling the "John sized Miata"?

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
4/18/10 5:03 p.m.

After a thorough exam the other day the car next door appears to have lived a hard life. Car was an '87. All interior soft parts are shot including the top. The cluster appears to have been swapped out at some point, man are they dim or what? The owners manual had maintenance listed ad nauseum in the back cover up to 154k in '96. The cluster now shows 90k. Who knows what the mileage is now?!? ALL seals are completely shot allowing water into the drivers floor. All the interior gadgets are broken, cup holder door, buttons, latches, rear top release. Electrics all work but the bright light and turn signal indicator are always on, sloooooow locks. AC not working. Clickety Clack from the rear end. Aftermarket stereo, underhood accessories. No front brakes. Oil on the underside of the motor, trans. Coolant low, leak, fresh and green.

Temps hovered around 215 at idle and while driving. These things really that hot?

Good side was it started right up and idled nicely, tight shifts, tight steering, power felt good. Would've been a good candidate to turn into a race car.

I'm gonna stay away from it. I want no liability with my neighbor and this car. I'm gonna keep looking and I really appreciate all the insight you guys have offered.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
4/18/10 6:38 p.m.

IMO, that car sounds like a good Challenge candidate, but the cost to put it right will far exceed its final value.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
4/18/10 6:53 p.m.

they all run that warm

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
4/18/10 9:58 p.m.

Why are you wusses be a hatin' on the 6 speed?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vi8Jqw1F1TorLj1eS0f4mCjOtsAuBr4uwNPkwWtCMf8Ry2Et1oOjLYIjw2IAy0hT