8 9 10 11
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/23/13 1:41 p.m.

You and me both....... even if I can't afford a C7 until the C8 comes out.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/23/13 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Go back and read my links from earlier. They acknowledge all of those weight savings measures. And then talk about the increases, such as 35 pounds for the DFI system, and how as a net result it's a heavier car overall.

Still a great new read, and I love the trick with the touchscreen cubby hole.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
1/23/13 1:59 p.m.

Hopefully this will further drive down prices of a C5...

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/23/13 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

How about we wait until someone has it on the scales. I think that's the takeaway.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/23/13 2:12 p.m.
scardeal wrote: Hopefully this will further drive down prices of a C5...

Yeah dude, I think the C5 looks the best and I've never been much of an interior picker of nits. I'll take a C5 Z06 in blue, please.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/23/13 2:13 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

If you really don't want to trust the guy who engineered the car, then be my guest.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/23/13 2:14 p.m.

I still prefer the looks of the C6 over the C5.... but I wouldn't kick either one out of bed.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/23/13 2:15 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to tuna55: If you really don't want to trust the *guy who engineered the car*, then be my guest.

As an engineer, who has several chief engineers working alongside me, I'll say that none of them ever designed the gas turbine - I'll trust the scales.

Haven't you ever heard the phrase: "In God we trust, all others, bring data" - so far we have no data. I'm an engineer, I like data.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/23/13 2:17 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to tuna55: If you really don't want to trust the *guy who engineered the car*, then be my guest.

Well, we now have the same source saying two different things. Meaning: You don't know any more than the rest of us. So until it's on the scales, we won't know. Period.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/23/13 2:18 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Well, the data already provided for the individual weights given still adds up to a net gain (more new weight added than old weight divested), for what it's worth.

So, yes, we will wait for the total weight. I don't think it's going to be off of what GM has already stated, though.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/23/13 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Again, Bob, go back and read the other interviews with the same guy. Your new article just happened to leave out all of the discussion on the weight added back in. I mean come on, he directly says "it weighs more". Your article's author makes a wild guess otherwise after listing the weight losses and not even mentioning any of the gains.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/23/13 2:44 p.m.

Either way, if it were my money, I'd rather buy a 427 C2 for the same money........chances are it wouldn't depriciate or fall apart.

I still like the tail lights.....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/23/13 2:45 p.m.

jeebus.... I give. There is no conversing with you. At all. You must be a lawyer.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/23/13 2:49 p.m.

Hey, we're all friends here, let's just wait for data...

Yahama, I'm with you, but I prefer the small blocks in C2 for reliability. My parents have a marborlo red 67 with the 350 hp 327, 4 speed and the sidepipes. It's perfect.

Which do you prefer:

or

Even money, almost, too. I know what I'd pick...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/23/13 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

You're not conversing, you are completely ignoring that which doesn't support your stance. I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/23/13 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

In reply to Bobzilla:

Listen you two, I will pull this car over RIGHT NOW

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/23/13 3:06 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: jeebus.... I give. There is no conversing with you. At all. You must be a lawyer.

Well he's not an engineer.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/23/13 3:07 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Hey, we're all friends here, let's just wait for data... Yahama, I'm with you, but I prefer the small blocks in C2 for reliability. My parents have a marborlo red 67 with the 350 hp 327, 4 speed and the sidepipes. It's perfect. Which do you prefer: or Even money, almost, too. I know what I'd pick...

I want the top one on the chassis of the bottom one.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
1/23/13 3:21 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Hey, we're all friends here, let's just wait for data... Yahama, I'm with you, but I prefer the small blocks in C2 for reliability. My parents have a marborlo red 67 with the 350 hp 327, 4 speed and the sidepipes. It's perfect. Which do you prefer: or Even money, almost, too. I know what I'd pick...

I prefer both. The new cars are just so much more livable day in and day out if you drive them a lot, but I'll never get rid of my old stuff.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/23/13 3:27 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Either way, if it were my money, I'd rather buy a 427 C2 for the same money........chances are it wouldn't depriciate or fall apart. I still like the tail lights.....

Well if we are talking about cars that I would buy before the new 'Vette at the price, we might be here a while.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/23/13 3:31 p.m.

I drove a completely original blue '67 427 4sp at mecum.........I wished I had the $35k it went for. Manual windows, no a/c, non-power steering, and I think non-power brakes. It was definitely what I would have wanted in a corvette. The new ones are nice, but I'd rather have the rumble plus not being confused with a retiree on his way to the golf course....

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
1/23/13 3:55 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
yamaha wrote: Either way, if it were my money, I'd rather buy a 427 C2 for the same money........chances are it wouldn't depriciate or fall apart. I still like the tail lights.....
Well if we are talking about cars that I would buy before the new 'Vette at the price, we might be here a while.

I'd still take the Corvette at full retail over the fifty beater Hondas you'd dig up.

forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
1/23/13 3:56 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I drove a completely original blue '67 427 4sp at mecum.........I wished I had the $35k it went for. Manual windows, no a/c, non-power steering, and I think non-power brakes. It was definitely what I would have wanted in a corvette. The new ones are nice, but I'd rather have the rumble plus not being confused with a retiree on his way to the golf course....

Yeah, thats who buys new Vettes-old golfers. Been to a track day lately? Vettes dominate.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/23/13 3:59 p.m.
forzav12 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
I'd still take the Corvette at full retail over the fifty beater Hondas you'd dig up.

Dude, I never said I didn't like the Vette. I just as saying there are a lot of classic cars (TR6s, 308s, 355s, etc) that would go for the same price that I would like more. Don't get your panties in a wad.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
1/24/13 1:24 a.m.
forzav12 wrote:
yamaha wrote: I drove a completely original blue '67 427 4sp at mecum.........I wished I had the $35k it went for. Manual windows, no a/c, non-power steering, and I think non-power brakes. It was definitely what I would have wanted in a corvette. The new ones are nice, but I'd rather have the rumble plus not being confused with a retiree on his way to the golf course....
Yeah, thats who buys new Vettes-old golfers. Been to a track day lately? Vettes dominate.

Yeah, some of those old guys are fast.... Honestly though, I've always hated Vettes until just two weeks ago I was putting together a Lego version of one of the "Cars" characters that is a Corvette for my son. It was then that I realized "damn, Corvettes are pretty cool!" That was a really odd moment for me. I'm digging this new Corvette, and I hope that it does attract a younger crowd. I will admit that the intro video lost me when they showed that damned guitar soloist on stage "rockin' out." I'm not their target market, that's for sure. I am in my late 30's and looking to make more money though, so you'll never know, there may be a C5 in my future. My list of desired cars is getting too long!

-Hamid

8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jO6LKnA4m7HSuNOpsMvKLZNIuK2bN2V3Y633z0iAWvCurXzNxpVbDf1dWveXf1kF