Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/6/14 10:37 a.m.

Can-Am cars

Harvey
Harvey Reader
6/6/14 10:42 a.m.

I love the 8 series BMW

I cannot afford to upkeep an 8 series BMW.

For that matter I love most long hooded coupes.

Harvey
Harvey Reader
6/6/14 10:43 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Ok, what do I like? -Vintage pickups actually getting used as pickups. SWMBO has green lighted a vintage pickup after our Dakota dies. I saw some guy yesterday in a late 20's (!!!) Ford Model A in driver-quality condition hauling stuff around. Two thumbs WAY up!!! -70's/80's Pony Cars with weird aftermarket tuner parts. Read my Trans Am build thread, and you will understand. Just check out this catalog for Trans Am parts from the early 80's: http://www.transamcountry.com/misc/TASCatalog.pdf -El Caminos and other "utes". I think they are cool, and I want one. In brown. It has to be brown. -80's "high technology" performance cars. Like anything that is turbocharged and lets you know it with gratuitous TURBO decals all over it. Pop-up headlights are super cool too. I miss them. -Cars with the right stance. No, not "Stance", but something that just sits right and looks the business. Like this: -Insane cars built for cheap. Ed Malle's $2013 GRM Challenge Mustang comes to mind. That car was berkeleying cool. -Cars with weird options. See this thread from yesterday: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/just-when-you-thought-all-the-strangely-optioned-cars-were-gone/86979/page1/ Who orders a new gold Ford Fusion with the luxury package and a STICK??? Very cool and strange.

That Trans Am is balls to the wall fantastically awesome.

Will
Will SuperDork
6/6/14 11:26 a.m.

GTP cars. Specifically, the Nissans.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
6/6/14 12:43 p.m.

A unmodified, unrestored survivor that is lovingly cared for.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
6/6/14 12:47 p.m.

Slat grilles:

orphancars
orphancars Reader
6/6/14 1:33 p.m.

For me the apex of car ownership/driving is when you are coming down that straight and you hit the braking point just so and corner entry is perfect. Not too hot, not too cold......just right. Corner entry passes as you nail the apex and unwind the steering wheel. Next up you slowly apply power and hit your mark for track out. And you're ready to do it all over again for the next corner.

Pure secks

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/6/14 5:00 p.m.
  1. The Corkscrew

1. Factory "special" lightweights or homologation specials.

1. ANYTHING built by these guys.

1. Black Wheels (ESPECIALLY rattle canned ones... Ya'll "pet peeve"-ers can get bent. )

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
6/6/14 5:12 p.m.

To expand on an earlier post of mine, To me this is the prettiest M car BMW has made

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/6/14 5:13 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

The corkscrew is effing awesome

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
6/6/14 6:07 p.m.

I don't know why but it makes me happy to know that the insipid Toyota metallic beige color that was once so ubiquitous, ages so badly. Almost every corolla and Camry i see now has faded to various uneven pink shades.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
6/6/14 7:47 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: The smell of race gas makes me happy.

I went to a Sat. night roundy-round and they had 1/4 midgets running on alcohol. What an amazing smell.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
6/6/14 8:06 p.m.

I love teaching beginners how to autocross

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
6/6/14 8:07 p.m.

1: Pre-war cars being used (preferably in anger). It's like watching a grandma run the 100m. Not fast or sexy, but defenitly awe inspiring.

2: Any car with a wacky engine (pre-war cars are strong on that, but any era is cool)

3: Boattail speedster. It's just a sexy shape that is so uncommon these days

4: Euro pro-touring

5: Needlessly complex suspension designs

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
6/6/14 8:28 p.m.

The underdog.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
6/6/14 8:48 p.m.

On the black wheel thing. One of the best looking setups I've seen is deep dish steelies painted flat/matte black with shiny chrome glamour rings and baby moon hubcaps. Look at it from the side and the wheel looks very deep. Same setup with red wheels also looks good.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
6/6/14 11:50 p.m.

I LOVE watching these old BSCC races

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWp-0TuY4Sk

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
6/7/14 6:14 a.m.

absolutely love the feeling I get on the rare occasion that I screw my attachments down tight enough to make myself go through the kink at CMP flat out … the sensation is fantastic … as I approach the feeling in my stomach is incredible … the feeling on exit so exhilarating … wish I could make myself do it more often

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/7/14 9:25 a.m.

I know this is mostly a picture thread, but the thing that makes me the happiest to see on the road is a female confidently/aggressively driving a manual transmission.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/7/14 9:42 p.m.

I love period correct accessories and stickers. 70s Mercs and BMWs with round yellow fog lights, tourist trap stickers on an old wagon, things like that.

Mitchell wrote: Accelerating through tunnels or between tall buildings. Seeing any exciting car driving in the wild; it's so much better than seeing the same parked on some grass.

When I first started at the bus company we still had some two stroke Detroit engines. Being new I worked late and was given one of those antiques. Once you got used to their quirks like needing to stick a pencil into the neutral safety switch to start it they were good buses. The best part of my night was the sound of the engine echoing off the buildings as I passed by the projects. I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

Even though NY isn't really thought of as a car friendly place you see a lot of unique cars here. It's not uncommon to see a well used Ferrari or Lambo parked at the curb overnight or a surprisingly old car as someone's DD. when I floated between posts I'd regularly see a couple old RHD Land Rovers and on the upper east side there was a brown early 80s Aston convertible I'd see in all kinds of weather.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/7/14 10:07 p.m.

Giggles from my daughter when I hit the gas after doing a "5..4..3..." countdown. Knowing you can walk up to anyone at an autocross and chat. Someone said it already put the sound of dual exhausts. Hearing your wife say "nice corner" as you clip the apex driving sensibly yet quickly on your way home from somewhere. Sharing your passion with others and seeing the same returned, makes me smile.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
6/8/14 7:53 a.m.

Equal length headers - preferably designed for a car without a lot of extra room.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
6/8/14 9:38 a.m.

trail-braking

swiss-cheeze/ speed-holes

gussets

getting light over a crest

elevation changes

power oversteer

homologation cars

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Reader
6/8/14 10:55 a.m.

Fridays at any major race weekend especially when you can get back into the pits. The crowds are not there and you can chat with the people and see the cars. It's amazing who you can just run into.

The sound of an Italian V12.

Old odd cars out in the wild. Just the other day I saw an avanti out in the wild. It was worn out but still cool to see it out there cruising.

Vintage racing. I love it and want to get a car for myself now. Just seeing all of the classic iron on the track is so cool.

Hooning someone else's car at the track when the owner doesn't really care.

Car guys that are not about how big the wallet is but how cool of a car they build. (why I hang out here)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EL99c4yXnu7ZnxO65lMHXmEbC64fRCKeFyXCJSc8WwAXoYnpkU8b05wjlFDm3ovw