1 2 3
erohslc
erohslc Reader
5/6/10 4:02 p.m.

A bit off topic: what kind of plastic are those chain guides made of? (I'm thinking Grassroots DIY guides to 'help' those engines that are lacking in engineering elegance.)

Knurled
Knurled Reader
5/6/10 4:48 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: ^ Fuel consumption of a V8 with a honda torque curve! So cute!

I like to say that it makes more torque at 3200 than the old one did at peak.

Plus 25mpg, and it doesn't idle like some whiny little Honda Much nicer than my 22mpg VW, which, I hasten to add, makes HALF of the power.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/6/10 6:46 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Extreme example, but a double row Bristol Hercules radial used gears to operate sleeve valves. I don't envy the RAF. (hotlinked for complexity)

Ho lee E36 M3. Glad I ain't the one timing that thing.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
5/6/10 8:04 p.m.

Chain. Never needs to be replaced as long as you know how to change oil. And check oil and add when low.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
5/6/10 8:23 p.m.

Chains do stretch. I wish I knew where the picture was after the teardown from this last Speed Week. Apparently trying to open an exahust valve with so much pressure puts a lot of strain on the chain.

(there was a good inch of sideways slack in the Alfa motor... kinda stunning to see it)

Eric

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
5/7/10 7:46 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: ^ Fuel consumption of a V8 with a honda torque curve! So cute!
I like to say that it makes more torque at 3200 than the old one did at peak. Plus 25mpg, and it doesn't idle like some whiny little Honda Much nicer than my 22mpg VW, which, I hasten to add, makes HALF of the power.

My tow rig gets 25mpg unloaded, with 300ft/lbs.

Knurled
Knurled Reader
5/7/10 4:44 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: My tow rig gets 25mpg unloaded, with 300ft/lbs.

Find a way to put down 600hp on grass through two wheels under 40mph and I'll do a V8 swap.

That or find a way to make a 200hp V8 that still idles like a popcorn popper. Smooth idles are for sissies!

shadetree30
shadetree30 New Reader
5/7/10 7:50 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Ho lee E36 M3. Glad I ain't the one timing that thing.

Rumor has it that the last surviving RAF mechanic with Bristol Hercules expertise is still twitching in a corner at RAF Hethel...

curtis73
curtis73 HalfDork
5/8/10 12:15 p.m.

One of the biggest factors for using a belt is valvetrain harmonics. In a big noisy V8 that only revs to 5000 its not much of an issue. When you're installing 4 cams in a V6 that revs to 8000 its a huge issue. Crankshaft harmonics will destroy chains, punish sprockets, and make a very unstable valvetrain at higher RPMs. Belts dampen those harmonics nicely. A gear is wonderfully accurate and reliable, but terrible for harmonics.

But I agree with the OP... I hate belts.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0BMuaaqy6c91uAsdMIWFryFjn3xNlCH3CNXRg2N2Km51AS37yHq1n5T0FcjaUSXY