1 2 3
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
2/6/13 11:02 a.m.

Here's the word from OLOA organizer Brock Yates, Jr.:

"If I get 5 Challenge cars to enter the event, you'll have your own class and GRM trophies."
https://www.facebook.com/grassrootsmotorsports/posts/475056692556374

Any takers?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/13 11:06 a.m.

No can do this year.... but, for some reason i thought the entry fee was a bit higher than $3000.

This seems entirely doable after a driving school or few.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/6/13 12:37 p.m.

Still on the list of things to do before I get old. Still expensive. We actually bought our first challenge car to do one lap in. My brother just bought it back. Perhaps it's destiny.

It'd be interesting to see if Brocker drops the entry fee....I'd be in at $1k.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/13 12:39 p.m.

Haven't a few people here done them? Wondering what true total cost is... $3000 for entry fee, figure another $3k for gas and food, allow a grand or two (or like... a dollar, in the case of a Challenge car) for repairs along the way?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
2/6/13 12:44 p.m.

I've been looking to split an entry with someone, I was thinking next year, but if the entry were $1k or even $2k I could afford it this year...not totally sure about $2k but if the price drops I'll keep my word

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/6/13 12:48 p.m.

I can see where the supercar guys might get a little butt-hurt if the entry is on a "sliding scale" ....especially after we whip their monkey asses in a $2000 car around Road Atlanta.

Pat
Pat Reader
2/6/13 1:16 p.m.

One Lap in a K car?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/6/13 1:20 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: No can do this year.... but, for some reason i thought the entry fee was a bit higher than $3000. This seems entirely doable after a driving school or few.

you do it, I'll be your transport driver between events

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
2/6/13 1:23 p.m.

Think our budget for the 2007 One Lap was $5500, entry fee back then was $2500. You need to buy a set of tires from the Tire Rack, then consumables like gas, hotels, food plus an Oh Shi! fund in case something breaks...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/13 1:26 p.m.
Pat wrote: One Lap in a K car?

I just felt a little bad for you... I'm dreading what it would be like in Swank Force One, let alone The Scaries.

Pat
Pat Reader
2/6/13 1:43 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
I just felt a little bad for you... I'm dreading what it would be like in Swank Force One, let alone The Scaries.

LOL! Not a chance you'll find my ass putting 3k street miles on that thing. My head would be ringing for months!

I have a lot of respect for the guys that do One Lap...they certainly ar hard core.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/6/13 1:58 p.m.
Pat wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
LOL! Not a chance you'll find my ass putting 3k street miles on that thing. My head would be ringing for months! I have a lot of respect for the guys that do One Lap...they certainly ar hard core.

Pu$$y.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
2/6/13 2:00 p.m.

Someone ran a daytona before right?

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
2/6/13 2:09 p.m.

Good move by Brock Jr.

I would like to see this happen.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
2/6/13 3:00 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Haven't a few people here done them? Wondering what true total cost is... $3000 for entry fee, figure another $3k for gas and food, allow a grand or two (or like... a dollar, in the case of a Challenge car) for repairs along the way?

That's what I found out when I rode along. Most teams end up spending between 5 and 7 grand total, including entry fee. The biggest variable is your vehicle's fuel mileage.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
2/6/13 3:02 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

Well, we still have Home School Prom Queen, and then there's that blue hairdressers car you bought, and the clone of Home School Prom Queen........

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
2/6/13 4:16 p.m.

I wish we could do this with the Jeep.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/6/13 4:45 p.m.

Entry fees that high are definitely not grassroots.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
2/6/13 4:54 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Entry fees that high are definitely not grassroots.

Depends on what your lawn looks like.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/6/13 4:58 p.m.

Can we actually get 5 entries? I could be convinced if someone wants to share the costs, I think we would need some decent seats for that sort of mileage though.

photo 09-24005_zps5568cabb.jpg

I haz some Corbeaus on a shelf.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
2/6/13 4:59 p.m.

Would the car have to remain in Challenge competition form, or would configuration changes be allowed between the two events?

I.E., if the car ran with a gutted interior in the Challenge, could an interior be re-installed for One Lap?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/6/13 5:50 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: Would the car have to remain in Challenge competition form, or would configuration changes be allowed between the two events? I.E., if the car ran with a gutted interior in the Challenge, could an interior be re-installed for One Lap?

If that's your biggest quandry, I say stop quandratin' and let's go racin!!! YYYYEEEEEEUUURP!

I'll give a solid 80% "IN" for 2014 ASSUMING 4 other teams can beg/borrow/steal or (shudder) WORK to pull together the cash. Put up or shut up, bishes!

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/6/13 6:42 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:

Hilarious, btw.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/6/13 8:14 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote:
Hilarious, btw.

"Hey you kids, get off my marij.... lawn"

xFactor
xFactor Reader
2/6/13 9:10 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I can see where the supercar guys might get a little butt-hurt if the entry is on a "sliding scale" ....especially after we whip their monkey asses in a $2000 car around Road Atlanta.

How about a "$500" car?

later, matt

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J6iA9bYeVCXqDOBw0ImcJQHk76oT2W1IEeokllRMheXD6dCGOwTjTsbnRt41vOBe