1 2
element6
element6 New Reader
8/2/11 11:33 a.m.
CarRamRod wrote: Mazdaspeed Protege is another option but watch out for rust.

BLASPHEMY!@$%

... but true.

element6
element6 New Reader
8/2/11 11:39 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: I heard second-hand that Mazdaspeed Proteges had some drivetrain issues. Don't take that as gospel, but it's worth looking into. Word is that's why Mazda built the 'speed Miata in-house, after having problems with Callaway building their 'speed Proteges. This could be all entirely rumors though. 'speed Proteges are surprisingly expensive too, last time I looked. Standard Proteges, Protege5s, and MP3s though, should be very reliable and super fun to drive. The latter two both have the same suspension as the 'speed version, if memory serves.

From knowing the cars inside and out, yes there is many issues with the 'Speed Protege. However for daily driving, if the car hasn't been beaten on they are great. The only issues for a DD will be the clunking suspension. A common problem with them due to the additional stiff suspension tends to blow out end-links and swaybar bushings prematurely.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/2/11 11:42 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: I heard second-hand that Mazdaspeed Proteges had some drivetrain issues. Don't take that as gospel, but it's worth looking into. Word is that's why Mazda built the 'speed Miata in-house, after having problems with Callaway building their 'speed Proteges. This could be all entirely rumors though. 'speed Proteges are surprisingly expensive too, last time I looked. Standard Proteges, Protege5s, and MP3s though, should be very reliable and super fun to drive. The latter two both have the same suspension as the 'speed version, if memory serves.

They do have issues. Modifying them is signing a death warrant to the motor. Keeping them stock MIGHT keep them running. Junk motor. Junk turbo setup. Junk tune.

Too bad, because they're one of the better handling FWD cars made.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
8/2/11 11:50 a.m.

Find the newest Integra you can. Fun, have double-wishbones, get good mileage, huge modding potential.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/2/11 11:51 a.m.

+

+

=

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
8/2/11 1:26 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: Ummm.. Older Civics? I love Hondas ,but I'm not the biggest fan of the K-series engines. Subaru 2.5RS..
Don't like the K-series engine but suggest a vehicle known for eating headgaskets for breakfast?

It might have been taken care of.. maybe.... possibly. I dunno I'm just throwing out other options. If it were me I would get the Celica GTS, but I just haven't been able to get on board with the styling.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/2/11 1:35 p.m.

^The styling is weird... either love or hate it in stock form. Pretty easy to make them look a bit better, though.

I don't love the styling. Nowhere near as sexy as really... ANY Celica that preceded it. But it's still the fastest Celica that ever came to North America.

vincephan
vincephan New Reader
8/2/11 4:10 p.m.

At this point, I'm leaning towards a hatchback. I think it's going to be a bit more parent friendly, not to mention, very convenient.

I WANT to like the Celica GTS but I can't. Perhaps it's due to the fact the RSX-S has a bigger aftermarket and isn't perceived by the public as a chick's car... (Don't you find it ironic how the public views some of the biggest driver's cars as chick cars? e.g. Miata)

I think I'm going to stay away from the Mazdaspeed Protege, it's going to be my daily driver with a couple HPDE's thrown in the mix... so I want something that'll be reliable when modded.

I like the idea of the Mazda3 and the RSX/EP3... I think it's going to come down to whichever I find locally at a good price.

I originally wanted a WRX wagon but I live in SoCal... all of our WRX's have been molested and abused. Clean examples fetch a ridiculous premium.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
8/2/11 4:50 p.m.

Op,

The EP3 is an excellent car that matches your requirements. You can pick a nice one up for $6500.00 if you look hard enough. Just don't expect an awesome sports car, like a lot of cars it requires a bit of work. No big deal. What you will get is Honda reliability, a solid chassis, and tons of room. Some people get mpg in the 20s but I couldn't get less than 32 if I tried. On stock tires I averaged around 36-37 mpg.

Had the US EP received the Type R stuff it would be highly regarded but no such thing. Preferably the JDM R(227 hp) but even the Euro R won Hot Hatch Of The Year four years running in England. There are a lot of R parts that make it different, too. Stiffer chassis, better suspension, K20A2 and 6 speed tranny, wheels, tires, etc. Long list.

A lot of people start modding by doing engine stuff first but I think handling is the way to go. A major flaw is almost no caster but that can be remedied pretty easily. Suspension travel can also be increased. R suspension/chassis or aftermarket parts really wake the car up. Removing weight really changes the car, too. The biggest problem, I think, to modifying this car is if you want to race you won't fit in a competitive category. That doesn't matter to me, I wanted a really fun dependable street legal toy that can carry a couple of mountain bikes, get great mileage, and do the occasional track days/autox.

Edit: Why doesn't your dad like the Focus? When testing I also liked the Celica GTS, Acura RSX S, Mazda 3, but for reasons such as weight, mpg, and room I chose the EP3. It was definitely the best choice for me.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/2/11 5:40 p.m.
vincephan wrote: At this point, I'm leaning towards a hatchback. I think it's going to be a bit more parent friendly, not to mention, very convenient. I WANT to like the Celica GTS but I can't. Perhaps it's due to the fact the RSX-S has a bigger aftermarket and isn't perceived by the public as a chick's car... (Don't you find it ironic how the public views some of the biggest driver's cars as chick cars? e.g. Miata) I think I'm going to stay away from the Mazdaspeed Protege, it's going to be my daily driver with a couple HPDE's thrown in the mix... so I want something that'll be reliable when modded. I like the idea of the Mazda3 and the RSX/EP3... I think it's going to come down to whichever I find locally at a good price. I originally wanted a WRX wagon but I live in SoCal... all of our WRX's have been molested and abused. Clean examples fetch a ridiculous premium.

Using aftermarket as an excuse to rule out the Celica in this case, given your requirements, is a cop out. For your requirements, any of the suggestions in this thread have more than enough aftermarket.

Just drive the cars in question, and get the one you like most. If you really care what other people think about you while you're driving YOUR car, then the Celica probably isn't for you. Enjoy your RSX and everyone subconsciously thinking "ricer!" when you drive by. (I kid, i kid)

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
8/2/11 5:58 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
vincephan wrote: At this point, I'm leaning towards a hatchback. I think it's going to be a bit more parent friendly, not to mention, very convenient. I WANT to like the Celica GTS but I can't. Perhaps it's due to the fact the RSX-S has a bigger aftermarket and isn't perceived by the public as a chick's car... (Don't you find it ironic how the public views some of the biggest driver's cars as chick cars? e.g. Miata) I think I'm going to stay away from the Mazdaspeed Protege, it's going to be my daily driver with a couple HPDE's thrown in the mix... so I want something that'll be reliable when modded. I like the idea of the Mazda3 and the RSX/EP3... I think it's going to come down to whichever I find locally at a good price. I originally wanted a WRX wagon but I live in SoCal... all of our WRX's have been molested and abused. Clean examples fetch a ridiculous premium.
Using aftermarket as an excuse to rule out the Celica in this case, given your requirements, is a cop out. For your requirements, any of the suggestions in this thread have more than enough aftermarket. Just drive the cars in question, and get the one you like most. If you really care what other people think about you while you're driving YOUR car, then the Celica probably isn't for you. Enjoy your RSX and everyone subconsciously thinking "ricer!" when you drive by. (I kid, i kid)

Honda heresy here but I think I would choose the GTS over the RSX S. I'm on the RSX forum more than the EP3 forum due to there being much more performance research there so it's not that I don't like the RSX. The GTS is not a chick car and the fact that there are less of them is a good thing. No offense but hopefully less douchebag ricer kids but not sure. They also weigh less, are much better looking, have plenty of mods available, and have a Lotus engine.

revhard
revhard New Reader
8/2/11 6:04 p.m.

In reply to vincephan:

I secretly like the ep3 even tho all my friends think its super ugly / cheese wedge with wheels. I cant wait for them to drop low enough that i can pick one up for a song.

but anyways, I had / ( my brother now drives) a 2002 sentra se-r spec-v. They can be had quite cheaply since no one ever thinks of them. There's a lot to watch out for such as the cat in the exhaust and the butterfly valve. The latter cost me an engine but the car was so cheap for me i went ahead and dropped in a used engine. (shares the same engine with the 2.5 altima so parts are somewhat easy to come by) Lots of torque and was a fun daily.

granted the engine was replaced, but the car has gone from 129,000 miles to about 180,000 ish and my brother is driving it from fl to ct as I write this.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/2/11 6:05 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Find the newest Integra you can. Fun, have double-wishbones, get good mileage, huge modding potential.

Honda Integra, Powered by Dreams...

...because when you wake up, everything that powers it is gone.

vincephan
vincephan New Reader
8/2/11 7:32 p.m.

What do you guys think about MKIV GTi's? I'm having an easier time looking for them and they're MUCH cheaper than any of the previously mentioned cars.

Yeah, they're not Japanese but I'm gonna give this a try with my parents. They don't like the Focus because of how it looks so I guess the Focus is off the list for sure.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Reader
8/3/11 1:36 p.m.

Hatchback = Protege5. Not too powerful though. I like the ride and suspension on it a lot.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MdidCuezFAAvyeP4kpemecHLOWe46WXbuvsocuCCRuO0YlCQ2n8UDHbTdppoZXzv