1 2 3
Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/11/09 12:16 p.m.

Hey, enough of this nonsense. Time to make with some pictures.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/11/09 3:26 p.m.

David picked up the car in the Midwest. I'm sure he will be posting pictures when he gets a minute, or at the latest when he returns. It is nice though....and it has that funny tail.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/11/09 3:52 p.m.

Midwest?

So, you're saying that he only had to go HALFWAY to the West?

Photos!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
6/11/09 8:29 p.m.

Cool. That's what I am talking about.......a true Porsche with a tail.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/11/09 8:34 p.m.

Yeah soooooo some one going to post something worth while

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
6/11/09 9:37 p.m.

What's going on? Did somebody buy a Porsche? And not post pictures?!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/11/09 10:38 p.m.

What did he end up buying??? I missed this...

Luke
Luke Dork
6/11/09 10:41 p.m.

A 911. As revealed in this thread, here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/i-dont-get-it-whats-so-good-about-911s/10958/page1/

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/11/09 11:12 p.m.

I need to post real photos, but here's a quickie. Car rocks.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/11/09 11:28 p.m.

NICE.

A mighty-looking steed.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/12/09 5:54 a.m.

Very cool, love the color David.
What ever became of the barn find Tim dragged home? The red 911.

Dan

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/12/09 6:07 a.m.

That was a Classic Motorsports project, we did the usual installments on it in CMS and kicked it loose a few years ago.

greilly
greilly
6/12/09 6:43 a.m.

That is one of the best looking paint colors ever, on any car in my opinion. I chose it to paint a project car Volvo 122 (Amazon) many years ago. My paint turned our horrible, and I ruined the gallon of porsche paint. But that doesn't take away from the fact that is is a sweet color.

Great looking 911. I'm envyous

Winston
Winston New Reader
6/12/09 9:06 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I need to post real photos, but here's a quickie. Car rocks. ***Box with red "x"***

sniff flickr is blocked at work. Gotta wait 'till the evening...

Cotton
Cotton Reader
6/12/09 9:15 a.m.
Winston wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: I need to post real photos, but here's a quickie. Car rocks. ***Box with red "x"***
*sniff* flickr is blocked at work. Gotta wait 'till the evening...

blocked for me too. What is the color?

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/12/09 9:17 a.m.

It's like a maroon (not the real name I am sure). I thought it was a Targa???????

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/12/09 9:20 a.m.

Garnet Red?

Sort of a Burgandy/Wine color.

She's a beauty.

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
6/12/09 9:34 a.m.

Gorgeous! Is it an '86?

Interesting to see that it has a turbo tail, not the normal whale tail.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
6/12/09 9:44 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I need to post real photos, but here's a quickie. Car rocks.

Simply beautiful. That is the look of my dream car. The car has the right ass and everything. No skinny hips and skinny tires...and Bam! Whale tail Boooyaaa

So I am expecting an article or two on how to purchase such a nice car. I assume the mechanicals are just as nice as the exterior.

Dan G
Dan G Dork
6/12/09 11:24 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
Winston wrote:
*sniff* flickr is blocked at work. Gotta wait 'till the evening...
blocked for me too. What is the color?

I don't see pictures in ANY threads on this forum until I hit F5 (refresh). Then I can see most, including this one. Won't help if flickr is blocked of course, but I was happy when I figured that out.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/12/09 11:38 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: Gorgeous! Is it an '86?

From the combo of the front valance and the seats, I'd say that it's an '84.

And I agree, that's a great color.

abumason
abumason New Reader
6/12/09 8:51 p.m.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Can't wait to read the copy in the mag. I look forward to many articles.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/12/09 9:08 p.m.
vazbmw wrote: So I am expecting an article or two on how to purchase such a nice car. I assume the mechanicals are just as nice as the exterior.

Hint: Buy it from one of your writers.

CMS Auction Editor Andy Reid was the seller, and Andy is certainly a guy that knows how to shop. It's an '84, and everythign I've been hearing from the road home is that David's really happy with it. He shoul dbe back on Monday, and I'd expect a full set of pix shortly thereafter.

jg

Winston
Winston New Reader
6/12/09 9:47 p.m.

Yea! I can finally see the pics. Very nice, David. Can't wait to read a nice, long post about the road trip back -- with plenty of pics for flavor.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/12/09 10:34 p.m.

Technically the color is Ruby Red Metallic, and I guess it's close to what I'd call ox blood. And yep, it's an '84--first year for the Carrera. It's pretty much bone-stock with original paint. Biggest mod might be the Turbo valve covers. Heads have been done, and compression numbers were strong. That's a Turbo tail, too, which Tim Sharp said was a popular dealer upgrade at the time--he owned a dealership back then.

I stopped at The Tire Rack today since it's on the way home and discussed tires with John R. I'd like something sporty yet still kind of '80s looking. He found some tires that look the part yet don't sacrifice performance.

And knock on wood, car is humming along. I just stopped for the night in Bowling Green. I'm going to visit the Lane museum tomorrow (Sat.) morning and then head into Atlanta to see my brother. I have been up for about 20 hours, so I'm a little beat at the moment.

Sorry for the Flickr, too. I had about a minute to get something online, and that was the easiest at that moment. I'll get real photos up asap. Thanks for all of the well wishes, too.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9JofohWSdSg8zUJbpwMujkOshIUlRUqbLa5qZC7SsZEcQfWS1CMixhawPQTv0jn2