1 2 3 4 5
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/18/23 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I really like that hydraulic deck thing and I've considered trying to make one myself to carry around fdat (motorcycle engined tube framed datsun roadster challenge car). 

Where I live just owning a trailer is super expensive because annual registration is nuts, and stupid village laws that combine so that I can't really store one easily on my property. So having something to load my very light race toy into the bed of a truck would be sweet. 

I've thought about doing something that is separate from the truck. Like an in bed camper. 

Drive onto flat deck, deck can raise itself up, back truck underneath, set deck down and connect to truck.

It's mostly a pipe dream. A simple trailer is the best option, and for me that usually means I just rent one. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
12/18/23 6:41 p.m.
SV reX said:

Wasn't the point of this that you wanted the ability to haul 2 cars- (one on the truck, and one on the trailer)?

No, I want to haul one car and pull my RV.  The easy button would have been class A or C and a trailer, but we got a lot for our money with the trailer... and like the idea of what we're doing.

Down the road I could probably pay a shop to make it dovetail or even a ramp truck?? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/18/23 8:09 p.m.

I went looking for some ideas/solutions form your area.  

This ad is selling these but it also seems that they build the units.  Maybe they would custom something for you.  Another ad from same guy with additional pictures

This ad is selling the center load ramps off Uhaul type trucks.  They claim a 1,000 lb load strength.  Does that mean with two you could drive 2,000 lbs up???  Maybe a center leg added?   13.5 ft long!  At $250 each that becomes some pretty reasonably priced metal.  You may have one already and just need another.  Further fab for mounting and storing would be needed. 

This gives me thoughts but admittedly, incomplete thoughts:

In all of these possibilities you're still gonna have to answer how to transistion from ramp to flat for what is probably a low clearence car.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/18/23 9:36 p.m.

You mention adding D-rings.  Consider E-Track?

Sample kit

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/18/23 10:00 p.m.

Here's an idea...

It wouldn't be that hard to build a permanent fixed ramp on top of the existing flat deck. Like Toyman's pic, without the hydraulics:

Toyman! said:

Premium Vector | The driver of the tow truck is loading the faulty car.  woman car owner watches loading.

It would improve your approach angle, and give a place to store the ramps. The upper deck could be made out of steel, aluminum, or even wood. 

Then the space under the new sloped ramp could be used for terrific storage.

12/19/23 4:11 a.m.

You guys are amazing!!  I'm leaving this morning for a mini vacation but will report back once I get the solution completed. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/19/23 8:36 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Can you get ramps heavy duty enough for the front wheels? Driving the truck up on something at the front will bring loading height down a lot at the back and it also improves pretty much all your angles for loading as well. 

A piece of railroad tie under the front wheels would probably work fine. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
12/19/23 8:38 a.m.
SV reX said:

Here's an idea...

It wouldn't be that hard to build a permanent fixed ramp on top of the existing flat deck. Like Toyman's pic, without the hydraulics:

Toyman! said:

Premium Vector | The driver of the tow truck is loading the faulty car.  woman car owner watches loading.

It would improve your approach angle, and give a place to store the ramps. The upper deck could be made out of steel, aluminum, or even wood. 

Then the space under the new sloped ramp could be used for terrific storage.

I think this combined with the Aluminum 13' Uhaul ramps is the winning "grassroots" ticket.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
12/19/23 8:41 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Can you get ramps heavy duty enough for the front wheels? Driving the truck up on something at the front will bring loading height down a lot at the back and it also improves pretty much all your angles for loading as well. 

A piece of railroad tie under the front wheels would probably work fine. 

Or a curb. Those are pretty common. 

lownslow
lownslow New Reader
12/19/23 11:05 a.m.
SV reX said:
lownslow said:

Motor home leveling jacks installed in the front to raise it up?

Electric powered and you don't have to tote around a set of ramps.

Still gonna need ramps. If the rear was sitting on the ground he'd still be 2' high

Ramps to drive the truck on to get a better angle.

Would still need ramps for the car.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
12/19/23 10:13 p.m.

I just sold a set of 9' long aluminum car hauler ramps for $400.  Check OfferUp, Craigslist, etc for aluminum car ramps.

Seems like you'd need super long ramps to make it work but raising the front and dropping the back can only help 

12/23/23 10:34 a.m.

Just thinking out loud...

Put nose of truck on ramps.  Buy or make several sets of 5' long ramps and then line them up with some overlap?  Use some sort of heavy duty pins in the overlap section to securely hold them together...same for the last section onto the truck, use pins to hold it to the truck.  If so, what to use for central support so the ramps don't bow under the weight?  Jack stands?  Wood posts on hinges mounted to the ramp bottom???

Maybe a dumb idea, just thinking out loud 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/23/23 12:07 p.m.

I'm not trying to derail the current project but this is available 1.5 hrs south of me.  I could probably go see it for you next weekend.  

'01 w/133k asking $26k  An 8.1L

Two hours from me but...  
'97 Diesel w/ 106k asking $6.8k

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/23/23 12:08 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Those sure are the easy button. I was looking for them too. 

12/23/23 12:29 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I'm not trying to derail the current project but this is available 1.5 hrs south of me.  I could probably go see it for you next weekend.  

'01 w/133k asking $26k  An 8.1L

Two hours from me but...  
'97 Diesel w/ 106k asking $6.8k

That second one would be absolutely perfect, but it sounds like a rust bucket that needs a lot of work which I can't do. The first one is much too expensive.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/23/23 12:36 p.m.

True.  It does go against the advice I've sent to you in the past which is...

As a resident on Metro Atlanta,  there is no reason you should be shopping vehicles from "the rusty states!"

12/23/23 12:42 p.m.

John, sent you an email.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/23/23 2:59 p.m.

Can you weld?  I built some for my flatbed trailer with 2" steel angle.  Just made a 12" wide x 60" long rectangle and then welded more angle across between the sides.  Heavy, but I've loaded a 6500-lb tractor with them and they didn't budge.

Stolen photo, but I just copied what I had seen on other trailers.

12/24/23 3:16 p.m.

For E36 M3s and giggles, I did a rough mock up.  This is on relatively flat ground.  The board is 8' long.  Maybe a 10' ramp + truck nose in the air will do the trick.  Presuming I won't get high centered as it gets on the truck.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/24/23 3:36 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I've always wanted to do a ramp truck.

Here's another thought; if you built a carrier for the F500 you could strap the F500 to said carrier and then winch the lot onto the truck........that would allow some fairly steep ramps.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/24/23 3:37 p.m.

What's the deck height in that picture?  That car your worse one to load?

12/24/23 4:15 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

I've always wanted to do a ramp truck.

Here's another thought; if you built a carrier for the F500 you could strap the F500 to said carrier and then winch the lot onto the truck........that would allow some fairly steep ramps.

What do you mean by a carrier? Give me an idea.

Stampie, it's 32".   That MR2 is just an example. It would be similar cars, miata, boxster, etc.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/24/23 4:34 p.m.

That puts the angle of approach for the MR2 at 19.471°.  That gives you a lot more leeway than I have. Personally I'd want to design it at 15°.  That puts you right around a 10 foot ramp. Now let's figure out your high center. Ok sorry going to have to be after the Jaguar's game. BBL 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/24/23 4:39 p.m.

Because the F500 is so light I always thought a welded or bolted frame with wheels on each corner and perhaps one set of casters in the center would allow me to winch it  up onto the trailer then lash the whole thing down.

Might be able to use angle iron to bolt together a pair of heavy duty ramps.

That still leaves m the dilemma of how to get a MR2 or Miata on a trailer.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/24/23 4:46 p.m.

Amazing enough there's online calculator for this. I used https://www.discountramps.com/utility/automotive/car-loading-ramp-calculator/a/b66/ and Miata 89.2 inch wheelbase, 4.5 inches high, 32 inch deck to come up with 14 foot ramps. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vyc2BX4Y0L0Oa1oJJvmGgXdGjR8YtH6JQN39gijFIHWT8PDGt28jj4mCYc06izrr