1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/2/19 12:20 a.m.

I've got an 01 Sequoia that I've been utilzing for a lot of my travels lately. I sometimes sleep in the back as it's got plenty of room and cheaper than a hotel (I tend to find State/National Parks or Forests with showers for those that are concerned about hygiene). I've seen a lot of these platforms in the camper vans that are popular these days. I think it would help me keep the back a bit more organized as well. 

Anyone in the hive do this or have any decent ideas on knocking one of these out? Carpentry isn't necessarily my Kia Forte; but, I've knocked out a few decent things here and there. 

Pics of the car for attention. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
10/2/19 3:42 a.m.

this was done in a tacoma, and not a sequoia, but there might be some useful ideas

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
10/2/19 8:55 a.m.

The hardest part is the leveling. I just took a really narrow cot that was just enough to get me off the ground and set it up in the back. Then I just had a few thin pieces of wood in there to level it. If you want to retain the rear seats, the leveling will be the hardest part. If you are taking out the rear seats, then things get somewhat easier. It's just a stand at that point. Doesn't have to be perfect just needs to be enough to support your mattress. 

Much easier in the back of a pickup. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/2/19 9:23 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

The hardest part is the leveling. I just took a really narrow cot that was just enough to get me off the ground and set it up in the back. Then I just had a few thin pieces of wood in there to level it. If you want to retain the rear seats, the leveling will be the hardest part. If you are taking out the rear seats, then things get somewhat easier. It's just a stand at that point. Doesn't have to be perfect just needs to be enough to support your mattress. 

Much easier in the back of a pickup. 

The back of the Sequoia is essentially flat. No 3rd row in the back and the 2nd row collapses down and then folds up towards the front of the vehicle. 

Sleepyhead:

Thanks for the link to the video. Taping out the back of the car is a pretty damn good idea. 

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
10/2/19 9:31 a.m.

I made a very basic sleeper for the back of a 4 runner... Getting above the wheel wells is key for sleeping comfort/space.  I pull the rear seat bottoms out so the front of the sleeping platform can be supported on the rear passenger floor with a 2x4 brace. 

Also get the tupperware tubs or whatever you want to put under it before you make it :)

not mine but similar:Related image

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/2/19 12:37 p.m.

I just built one in about an hour for a brief excursion this past weekend.

Fits in the back of my 2015 Land Cruiser next to my ARB fridge.  Comfy for one person. 

Made from some scrap 2x4s and 7/16" OSB which was plenty to hold my husky self.  

Rear seats removed completely, 2nd row seats with the backs folded down and a blanket across the back to keep from getting scuffed.  

Mine had some gaps and such between the seatback/bottom and the platform, which in theory would cause discomfort but in application, with a 2" thermarest, was a non-issue.

Only thing I didnt like is you lose most of your privacy since you are now at window level and you do of course lose some headroom.

I am sure I could have built something more clever, finished, and compact, but for a total spend of $0 and an hour of my time I was very pleased.  My suggestion is don't overthink it, build something rough, see how you like it, refine it, and maybe some week when you have time and money burning holes in your pocket go ahead and rebuild it into something awesome.

Otherwise push the easy button and order some ARB drawers or similar.  Lots of folks like those for sleeping.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/2/19 1:15 p.m.

My XC90 just needs a filler behind the rear seat.  It leaves a bit of a gap behind, and between the segments, and a carefully stuffed coat is almost adequate.  

I find ventilation and temp control to be the bigger issue than the sleeping surface. Too cool to open a window a bit?  Welcome to waking up damp.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
10/2/19 1:57 p.m.

We use action packer boxes in our Xterra that that fit in front of the 2nd row seats, works quite nice to make a flat platform.  A similar box may work for a sequoia, or making a platform that fits in front of the 2nd row seats may work to get a flat surface (as opposed to making a full size platform).

We also use some heavy duty screen material and magnets to go over the outside windows for ventilation, keeps bugs and most water spray out.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/2/19 6:09 p.m.

The back of the 1st gen sequoia is completely flat and i've slept on the floor of it plenty car camping. The problem is no separation from gear and myself and being crammed. The 3rd row is gone and the 2nd row folds into the footwell for the 2nd row. It's pretty excellent and has plenty of mounting points. Plus no need to build a cupholder or storage for easy to reach items. The 3rd row cupholders are on the side along with storage cubbies. 

I suppose I was just looking for ideas and tips on building one. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/2/19 6:28 p.m.

On my Sequoia, I think the middle-row seats actually tilt back all the way flat (I should check to be sure). Not that I've ever tried to sleep there. 

I've thought about this a number of times myself (usually just decide "cheap motel is better and I'm not that broke"), and my solution always ended up "put all my gear in equal-size Home Depot (yellow and black) bins - which we do for rally anyhow - and then have them all Tetris'd into the cargo area to make a "block" (and to keep them from moving around when driving). Put a piece of plywood on top. Put an air mattress on that. Done.

CalypsoE30
CalypsoE30 Reader
10/2/19 6:45 p.m.

I built a platform in my old Pathfinder, but then I found it very claustrophobic with the raised height. 

My solution is to toss in an ikea/amazon foam mattress on the floor and put all of your junk in a Yakima box on the roof. I camped like that for 2 weeks and slept great - but it was just me and a 50lb dog.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
10/2/19 7:18 p.m.

Me?  I'd find old Toyota minivan/suv seats at the junkyard and cut the frames off the bottom. Then build a platform on top of that. That way, you can pop it into place and secure it using the OEM floor latches and hardware. I would build a bed that was 1/2 the width of the available space so that I could fill the other half with bins/totes.

Alternatively, here are some Sienna beds for inspiration:

Bug screen, very nice.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
10/2/19 7:25 p.m.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
10/2/19 7:27 p.m.

I wonder if you can still get these from Pontiac?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
10/2/19 7:29 p.m.

Of course, you could always go with a kit

adam525i
adam525i Reader
10/2/19 9:14 p.m.

At the beginning of September we spent a few days in the in-laws second generation Delica traveling through the Yukon and Alaska. They pull the two rows of seats for the summer and leave it setup for camping as there is just the two of them. The Delica is similar to your Sequoia with no fender wells to deal with and a flat floor. Their setup has a wooden platform that sits off the floor with about 6" clearance underneath, that gives them enough room to store a bunch of stuff in large clear plastic containers that slide in and out from the side door and the back hatch, nothing fancy but it works really well. They've also setup very basic curtains using bungee cords strung along through the grab handles and a few added hooks and just drape some sheets over those for privacy. A standard futon mattress fits nicely in the back. What I liked was with the platform lower there was more room to sit up and to get dressed etc. They just store extra stuff on top of the bed for extended trips and bring along a simple shelter tent that they setup for cooking and eating outside. I wish I had pictures of the interior to share but this one of the van will have to do, I'd really like to do a simple setup in my Legacy wagon and do some car camping with it.

Adam

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/2/19 9:58 p.m.

I am slowly setting my Disco up for some camping when going Sailing or Kayaking.  So far all I have done is remove the back seats, bought some all weather screens for the rear doors, an air mattress and one of these: an "SUV tent" from RightLine gear

engiekev
engiekev Reader
10/3/19 1:18 p.m.

We do something similar to Irish, pack gear into large containers (big action packers are nice but anything will do)  and store outside the vehicle when camping/sleeping.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/4/19 3:59 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I find ventilation and temp control to be the bigger issue than the sleeping surface. Too cool to open a window a bit?  Welcome to waking up damp.

Always sleep with ventilation.  If you are too cold, get a heavier insulated bag or some more layers.  Even extreme 4 season tents have provisions for ventilation.   I keep my windows down 2" and the sunroof tilted open even in snow-inducing weather.  Sleep warm and snug in a nice down zero degree bag.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/28/20 8:54 a.m.

Did you end up building anything?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/28/20 11:56 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Did you end up building anything?

I started. Project had to be tabled because a lot of things came up on the car that required attention to keep it running properly. ABS/TC/VSC lights constantly on and causing issues so I had to throw a bunch of money/time trying to track that issue down. T-belt - self explanatory. Ball joints. And now my power steering rack and transmission both have gnarly leaks. My hectic travel schedule for work keeps me from tackling some of these issues in a timely manner. One day I'll complete this project. I've got the blueprints still posted on my workbench and wood waiting to be cut. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/28/20 12:06 p.m.

What ended up being the issue with ABS/TC/VSC?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/28/20 12:22 p.m.

Note that all three of those are basically the same system.

There are some interesting builds in this thread. This one in particular looks like more than just a half hour with a circular saw.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/28/20 12:58 p.m.

While I love the builds shown here, most of them are really camper conversions.  It would be hard/impossible to move them in and out.  If you still want to use your truck for normal stuff and just camp in it occasionally, get a Coleman cot and a matching memory foam mattress.  Easy as can be to set up, and almost as comfortable as a real bed.

This book is awesome.

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B01C3BK6DE&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_0rICFb0TCH8Q2

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/28/20 1:08 p.m.

They're basically the same concept as our Westfalia but without the pop top roof. There's some interesting stuff out there about minivan camper conversions.

And thanks to one of them, I came across these. It's a logical product - a battery with a built-in charger and inverter along with a matching easy-to-use solar panel - that has some pretty clever industrial design. I have to say that if I was looking to camp with a non-camper, I'd be interested. It's a whole lot nicer to live with than a generator. The combination of LED lighting and better batteries have really benefited camping.

https://www.jackery.com/pages/portable-power-products

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8AMQ6HCOv9q1ohmGFT13xUeVzWDXyOwTWoqGodvZ2eW5RdZAdA2OoPyn2ZEQFAo2