2 3 4
rb92673
rb92673 New Reader
3/13/24 5:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
rb92673 said:

10k GVWR seems to be a number they don't typically go over for CDL licensing reasons or something.

That includes the GVWR of the tow vehicle, which is why you can get an F250 with a 9,999 lb GVWR. Anything over that, being used commercially, triggers a bunch of DOT regulations. You don't need a CDL at 10,001 lbs but you do need inspections, a logbook and a DOT medical card. The next threshold is 26k, that's where you need a full CDL.

A 10k rated trailer doesn't really mean anything in that regard.

It just seems odd that his trailer and my 24' enclosed trailer with dual 6k axles is rated at 9990 GVWR.  Maybe it is a state thing.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
3/13/24 6:14 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to Rodan :

Question 2: does that SOB really weigh 1000lbs?! 

No.  IIRC, it's around 500lbs.  It's pretty easy to push around, even on compacted gravel.  

There's only a couple of degrees of pivot in the axle, just to make turns easier on the tires.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
3/13/24 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Oh - not sure where I read that it was that heavy and I was really struggling to see why. 

It's neat! 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/13/24 11:38 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

I tried to find an answer to that. I found 2 references online- 1 said 1000 lbs, the other said 2200 lbs.  

Neither seemed too reliable. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/14/24 12:01 a.m.
rb92673 said:

It just seems odd that his trailer and my 24' enclosed trailer with dual 6k axles is rated at 9990 GVWR.  Maybe it is a state thing.

Here in CA, a standard driver's license ("class C") allows you to tow a trailer up to 10,000 pounds GVWR.  There are a couple exceptions, but in general to go over that you need a class B or A CDL.  As a result a lot of trailers are plated for 9900 even if they have three 5000 pound axles.  "No really, officer, I just like overkill". :)

accordionfolder
3/14/24 11:37 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

They make a 3500 model and a 5500 model - I wonder if the 1000lbs might be for the big boy? I can only find pictures of - what I assume - is the 3500. I'm squinting at it pretty hard, but I'm feeling pretty confident in my ability to build such a thing. Why have an industrial welder and 3 tons of steel sitting behind my house if not to build weird things? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/14/24 11:39 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Interesting, I only knew about the federal laws. Turns out Colorado has the same restriction on Class C licenses. Today I learned. I'll look at the GVWR of our 28' trailer later today. I'm pretty sure it's north of 10k when it's loaded, and I've never had any questions when stopped at a weigh station or during our DOT safety review.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/14/24 12:06 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Interesting, I only knew about the federal laws. Turns out Colorado has the same restriction on Class C licenses. Today I learned. I'll look at the GVWR of our 28' trailer later today. I'm pretty sure it's north of 10k when it's loaded, and I've never had any questions when stopped at a weigh station or during our DOT safety review.

Yeah, I know a lot of people who routinely ignore the 10K limit for race car trailers and the CHP mostly doesn't seem to care.  That's one of those "low probability, high cost" events though -- if they decide to throw the book at you then in addition to a large fine you're also sitting on the side of the freeway trying to find/hire someone with a CDL to come pick up your trailer.

accordionfolder
3/14/24 12:25 p.m.

They cracked down on a bunch of folks a few years back on the way to a Road Atlanta event - they had to get someone w/ a CDL to recover their trailers. They usually leave club racers alone, but some of the rigs I've seen even at HPDE events would make anyone do a double take. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
3/14/24 1:39 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to SV reX :

They make a 3500 model and a 5500 model - I wonder if the 1000lbs might be for the big boy? 

Mine is the big one.  The main difference is a 6000lb axle as opposed to a 3500lb axle.  Not sure about minor differences... they used to come with different wheels/tires, but I think those are now the same for both models.

I recall reading 600lbs for the weight somewhere, but can't seem to find it in my documentation.  I did find my shipping invoice which indicates 800lbs for the Toad palleted for shipping.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
3/14/24 1:46 p.m.

WRT legalities and being hassled, I've read quite a bit of discussion on some of the RV forums.  If you're pulling a 40ft 5th wheel liftgate behind a super C sport deck with team/sponsor decals, you're a lot more likely to be stopped than pulling a plain white bumper pull with a Class A.

Some states' highway patrols are now reportedly asking racers about prize money, and are calling you commercial if you admit to any financial remittance from racing.

Around the CA/AZ border, CHP reportedly hassles the Glamis sand dune crowd pretty regularly, so I always try to be sure I'm 100% in order going through there, which means an over length permit for me.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/14/24 2:37 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Yeah, I know a lot of people who routinely ignore the 10K limit for race car trailers and the CHP mostly doesn't seem to care.  That's one of those "low probability, high cost" events though -- if they decide to throw the book at you then in addition to a large fine you're also sitting on the side of the freeway trying to find/hire someone with a CDL to come pick up your trailer.

I've had inspections at ports of entry, roadside and at our shop. Interestingly it's never been mentioned. I think our trailer is usually about 13k loaded but now I know it is rated at 9900.

I think I might get my Class B just because.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7wI5FPb1XbZE7J3FTC8m7rrzOZTPY1MrunjxLVLPl3pJeeptXAwhoTsNbIn0gVb6