Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
4/11/23 11:22 p.m.

Finally got around to dropping the transmission in my 2008 Audi A4, to find a situation more grave than I had thought. Powdered clutch and ceramic pieces fell out of what used to be a clutch plate, now just bare metal and rivets. Looking for some advice on what I need to replace, what I might be able to repair myself, and what I could get a shop to repair.

Parts in question are the clutch pressure plate and the dual mass flywheel (will definitely already be replacing the clutch disk, as it is completely obliterated).

Here are two videos of my findings, please assess and advise on what can be fixed and or what needs to be replaced. 

DMFClutch Itself

From RockAuto, a new DMF flywheel is $700-900 CAD, and a clutch kit is ~$250 CAD. Might it be a good idea to go single mass flywheel? Would gladly save some cash if the difference is unnoticeable. Thanks!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
4/12/23 8:55 a.m.

I have converted a couple VW's from DMF to single mass. Nothing but good things to say about making the change. If you can do it and save money I would consider it a no brainer. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
4/12/23 10:34 a.m.

Based on your video of the DMF, it either needs replaced with a new DMF or converted to a standard flywheel. The rotational free play may or may not meet specification but the axial free play (wobble) is definitely a no go. 

The clutch pressure plate is pretty rough (friction surface condition), appears to have seen pretty high heat which can reduced the effectiveness of the various spring elements (diaphragm spring, drivestraps, and adjusting springs),  and being a self adjusting unit is difficult to reset to new position so I would highly recommend replacement of that as well. 

In regards to DMF or standard flywheel, it seems to be a case by case basis as to whether or not you might have some NVH issues but if the reviews are good regarding the conversion I would roll the dice and go with a standard flywheel. You may have some noise/rattle at certain operating conditions but it is unlikely that they will be damaging events unless they are very severe. 

iansane
iansane Dork
4/12/23 10:45 a.m.

I really doubt you'll notice a difference swapping to a solid flywheel. 

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
4/12/23 10:51 a.m.

Sprung clutch disk so I'd think a single mass flywheel might not be a huge difference. But as said above it's vehicle specific more than anything else, do some research. And yeah that stuff all needs to be replaced.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
4/12/23 11:27 a.m.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it really helps.

I'll buy a clutch kit for it (pressure plate, clutch disk, throwout and pilot bearings) and check into pricing on SMF vs DMF flywheel kits. 

iansane
iansane Dork
4/12/23 11:47 a.m.

Just to clarify, you know the PP/clutch disc are probably going to be different for the single and dual mass flywheels, correct?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
4/12/23 12:20 p.m.

Clutch disc has more springs for the single mass vs the dual mass.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/12/23 12:58 p.m.

The springs are more for NVH than anything. You can definitely run unsprung discs on a single mass flywheel.

We convert all manual vag to single mass, and never seen a downside.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
4/12/23 1:10 p.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

I found this, which is about the same price as a DMF. Twelve pounds lighter, plus it's aluminum. Thoughts? 

I havn't had much luck finding a cheaper SMF, so it's either this or an oem LUK or SACHS DMF flywheel

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/12/23 1:34 p.m.

I generally prefer steel 10-12lb ... if the alum is around that it's likely fine. Lower especially w a grabby clutch is rough on take-up.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
4/12/23 2:06 p.m.

Honestly if it's the same price either way I'd just go with a replacement DMF assuming this is just a normal street car.

SMF with an unsprung clutch is risky, the porsches with that setup tend to vibrate the engines apart internally. With those switching to a SMF is generally accompanied by a sprung clutch disk. The disk in question here is already at least somewhat sprung at least so probably not a huge issue. But again if it's not a meaningful cost savings it doesn't really seem worth the risk.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
4/12/23 2:22 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Yes, but I'll double check combatibility before I purchase a kit. 

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
4/12/23 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

The OEM steel DMF is 23 pounds, aluminum one is 12.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
4/12/23 2:26 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Thats what I tend to think, will probably end up just going with a stock DMF. Unless there is any way to overhaul the existing flywheel?

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
4/12/23 3:58 p.m.

Don't know if they make one for your application, but I swapped a Valeo SMF kit into my 128i. It included a sprung clutch disc. It's a tiny bit less smooth than the DMF, but it really only manifests itself if you are rough with it. Most people wouldn't notice the difference.

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
4/12/23 5:09 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Yeah, I've heard that Valeo kits are quite good. Have only been able to find that aluminum SMF though so far.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
4/12/23 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Leviathan888 :

If you are looking at pretty much the same money, I would go with the DMF as suggested by others. 

No rebuild kits that I have ever come across for a DMF but I haven't looked into it. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
4/12/23 5:25 p.m.

I switched the really heavy dual mass flywheel in my Legacy GT to a lightweight single mass with a sprung disk. It was a huge improvement. What I thought was a laggy e throttle was really just the flywheel. 

Leviathan888
Leviathan888 New Reader
4/12/23 5:52 p.m.

Finally if there are no objections to my choice of the brand LUK, or the organic clutch material (first time I've heard of that), I'm ready to make a purchase. 

LUK OEM DMF Flywheel

LUK OEM Clutch Kit

Had no luck sourcing a SMF conversion kit for anywhere near the DMF price.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
4/12/23 6:09 p.m.

Luk is OEM, go for it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lT908VaWurfBkjQKcmyBQQRUDCSgWv4M1DLYMq0UUxNZPaEmORPkgMcHYLOn1qbs