2 3 4 5 6
gunner
gunner Reader
3/5/13 10:57 p.m.

I learned how to ride on a 1000cc virago, my first bike was a suzuki gs550e (slow bike) and my 2nd bike was a yamaha radian (600 naked bike) it used the 600cc sportbike engine tuned for torque instead of high end power. I suggest you get the 750 gxr since you seem like a level headed guy like the rest of us grm'ers. sounds like a good bike to me.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
3/5/13 11:58 p.m.

I've rode both an SV650S and GSXR 750 pretty extensively. You would likely be more comfortable on them at your height/weight. I'm 6' 175 and both of those bikes (in stock riding configuration) are not somewhere I wanted to be any longer than 30-40 mins. I sold my SV650S a couple years ago and if I were to get back into riding I would get something that's still sporty but has a nice upright riding position that keeps the wind off me (Vstrom). Getting blasted by wind at 70mph without a fairing will tire you out a lot quicker than sitting behind a nice fairing.

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
3/6/13 12:01 a.m.

The 750 katana is a fair bike, and if you get bored gsxr parts are pretty much bolt on. if you're not worried about a bit of work check into the rf900/600 bikes, the vfr has been mentioned, very nice bikes, especially the newer ones. Vtr superhawk (i think that was the designation) is another V4 though they are know to roast the rider in traffic due to the dual side mounted radiator setup, but oh man do they sound dead sexy. The V bikes tend to be a little more friendly on power delivery, therefore theoretically easier to use on a daily basis. Just stay away from the V65 magna(1100 V4 in a crusier package).

The suggestions about seeing what fits and is comfortable is a valid one. Seeing as how you are smaller, the tighter tuck on the gsxr may not bother you. Or at least that's how they used to be.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/6/13 6:48 a.m.
alex wrote: No offense Sperlo, but any friend who's telling a new rider to step up from a modern 600 supersport that makes well over 100hp because you'll outgrow it is giving you bad advice.

Haha I actually said out loud "What kind of friend is that?" when I read it.

The Corvette analogy is a good one. 600cc bikes are like a Mustang, Camaro, Exige S etc. Pretty freaking fast and powerful but somewhat manageable for a skilled new driver. The 750ccs are like a Corvette or Viper. Pretty dangerous for a new driver even if decently skilled. And the liter+ bikes are like the Veyron, Huayra, P1 or Agera R...hypercars that can take you from zero to big berkeleying trouble in half a second.

Not in terms of absolute speed mind you, a 600cc bike is as fast as a lower-end supercar.

J308
J308 Reader
3/6/13 6:56 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I'm getting two completely different suggestions. The GRM crowd is my main source for advice, but I went all over the place on this one. I left the shop wanting a GSX-r 600, but a friend who has been riding a while suggested a larger engine because I would want the power. I started looking at the 750 and saw the dealer had them for $500.00 more. Thinking about the power control, I thought it may be a god idea. We see the results I get from here. Alex has a good idea of my driving style. I'm no adrenaline junkie who will be trying to put the front up in the air and do 120 down the highway. I'm just as serious about safety as everyone on this board, so don't think I'm not taking your suggestions very seriously and continuing research. I have plenty of time to change my mind. ... When asking more local friends who know me and my street driving style and are local bike club members, they made the same suggestion. They had a 600 sport and moved up to a 1200 (or something close) cruiser because they wanted more power. ... Keep the suggestions coming and thanks for worrying about my safety. ...

I didn't know it was divine intervention at work, so carry on. But seriously.

I found the same thing out of a 750. I like any-gear-midrange, so it was strictly literbikes for me.

My first bike was a ZX-7, and I liked it because it was my first bike.

Then I had a 900RR, which was squirrely and had incredible midrange, then I tankslapped and spent 6 mos. bandaged, both arms to the fingertips, full back, right knee. Enter heavvvvvvvy jeans and armored leather jacket.

Bought an R1. That bike was dangerously peaky, almost flipped it twice by accident. Traded it and the guy that bought it flipped it in front of the dealership while leaving.

Trade was for a 929RR, loved, loved, loved it. Flipped it in second, twisted my ankle. Replaced helmet. Bought another 929RR, loved loved loved it. Thought because Honda had replaced the 16" front of the 900RR with the 17", I didn't need a steering damper. Tankslapped into a ditch at a high rate of speed. My assessment to the paramedics? Broken left clavicle, broken ribs, broken PELVIS. I was wrong, just bruised my hip really, really badly. The rest was spot-on.

Bought another 929RR, it was ok, but reminded me of the buddy that got killed on his (RIP Wayne), because of the paint scheme. Sold it. Bought a 636 ZX6R. Weak, and peaky as hell, almost no fun for me, had to wring it out everywhere, instead of the smooth power delivery I was used to. A few years later, got the fever, as everyone at my new job was buying bikes. I bought a travesty of ugliness with a 954RR. Hated that bike, rode it a few times with work homies, and sold it.

The point of this long as story is that you don't have to be an adrenaline junkie to crash and crash HEAVILY. Wayne was killed by a landscape truck turning left with no signal. I've driven and owned 600/750/literbikes, and they are all way too fast for the street. Save yourself the aggravation and the "I shoulda bought a V8", and just go straight for the literbike. It's only as dangerous as the rider. I know guys that can wheelie well into triple digits on a 600.

I think the new 600's are something like 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, and literbikes were 0-60 in ~3. Is it really that much difference in speed? No. But the difference in power delivery is huge. Test ride a literbike once you can actually ride and you'll never look back.

Personally, I like the street-fighter looks, and as I've said before, I like the used 919. 900RR engine, naked bike, flat black (asphalt black) is a factory option, underseat exhaust begging for a mini fairing and carbon cans, can be had for $1800 and sold for that with no problem in a year. But there are a lot of good options out there.

New options... I really, really like this CB1000R

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
3/6/13 6:56 a.m.

And if we wanna talk about stump pulling torque monster, Look no further than a Bandit 1250. About 100 hp so its not gonna scare you. But its got table top flat torque and all day wind protection and comfort. Then you can say that you own a wheelie factory

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
3/6/13 6:57 a.m.
alex wrote: The GSX-R750 has the performance capability greater than many supercars, acres of plastic to break when (not if) you drop it, insurance is going to be relatively expensive, and it's a magnet for squids, thieves and cops. It's a sharp, nearly-no-compromise performance machine that will not suffer fools gladly. It's a *lot* of bike for a new rider to deal with while simultaneously rewiring your brain with a new set of survival skills.

This. Inexperienced rider + racing bike = bad idea. There's enough horsepower at your right hand to get you into trouble very quickly. Rider's position is uncomfortable for daily riding. Fuel economy will not be any better than a econo sedan.

Seriously, get yourself an 80s Japanese standard of some sort for $1000-1500 and learn to ride well, then get a crotch rocket if you must.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/6/13 7:00 a.m.

Well, E36 M3. I used to have a VFR.

The mixed suggestions really make me happy to have all the time in the world to pick a bike out. I really have to say, if you think I'm going to be all up in that throttle like it's my baby momma, don't expect me to be like everyone else.

Gonna check around a lot on the comfort issue. If I berkeley up some plastics, it's just a good reason to go naked or custom.

NOT LOOKING AT THE 750 ANYMORE
Now you need to talk me down from the GSX-R600.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
3/6/13 7:00 a.m.

berkeley under tail exhaust

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/6/13 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Blitzed306:

Break the ice. Tell me I'll kill myself on the 600.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/6/13 7:10 a.m.

I won't feel guilty approving your choice of the GSXR600.

J308
J308 Reader
3/6/13 7:22 a.m.

This is relevant to my interests. I need to stay out of these threads. 2011 Naked Bike Shootout

Btw, if you are buying new, don't buy now. The new bikes come out in March/April. Most are on a 2 year development cycle.

Have you decided if you are buying new or used?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
3/6/13 7:23 a.m.

I'll say this. in the last 2 years, I've put approx 30,000 on my 600 bandit which runs the older air-cooled version of the gsxr600 mill (tuned for more low-mid power). It's plenty quick as it is. A wheelie machine it's not, but thats not the type of riding I do.

I've scrapped pegs (this is a tall bike), done 500+ mile days, ridden in all sorts of climates.

600cc is fine for most things and will still out accelerate 98% off the cages you will see on the road.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/6/13 7:27 a.m.

In reply to J308:

New, but likely not for quite a few months. You're telling me to wait until the 2014 bogged come out? There was a 2012 next to the 2013 for a little less. Iwas leaning that way. The difference: plastic.

Thanks for approving, Gameboy.

J308, I did read your novel. I've lost a family member on a Harley. I know my aunt may try to kill me if I get one, so I'm already risking something. I've got my ever expanding safe riding rule list started.

J308
J308 Reader
3/6/13 7:48 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Good call on safe riding rules, but you always have to worry about the idiotic mass of distracted drivers out there. My mother still has the "look twice save a life" sticker on the back of her car.

Re: 2013 models... I've been out of the game on motorcycles for a long time, so I'm not up on dev cycles. It used to be 2 years for 1000s and 4 years for 600s. I suspect that has changed. Bottom line is in a few months, the new ones will be out, and you can read about the changes, if any, in the bike mags or online reviews. If it's the same price for a new design, I'd buy the new model with improvements. If it's the same bike for less, I'd buy the cheaper new one, regardless of year.

Dealerships make a HUGE difference so shop around. There is a dealer here in NC that sells the latest-and-greatest Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki, even if newly launched, for $800-$1000 less than MSRP. Everyone else sells for MSRP + fees. Can't beat them, but you're 12 hrs away. Could make a good road trip story though!

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
3/6/13 8:02 a.m.

Buell Blast!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/6/13 8:09 a.m.

In reply to J308:

Cool, thanks. The local shop makes some good deals in order to ensure the most sales in the area. The manager is a real good guy.

Don't get me wrong, still a salesman, but a good guy. I was one of those...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/6/13 8:13 a.m.

I wouldn't buy a new bike because you are going to lay it down and that is going to suck. I was talking to a guy who laid down his Ducati 1098 and he said the repair bill was going to be $5k... I really think the best idea is buy used learn on that sell it for probably what you bought it for then buy a new bike.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/6/13 8:15 a.m.

^Hard to feel pity for anyone who buys a Ducati

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/6/13 8:18 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

I'll be trolling for a used one especially with the slantback issues. Thats right. I just dubbed a term, but that doesn't mean I'm not looking at new ones, too.

J308
J308 Reader
3/6/13 8:27 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I wouldn't buy a new bike because you are going to lay it down and that is going to suck. I was talking to a guy who laid down his Ducati 1098 and he said the repair bill was going to be $5k... I really think the best idea is buy used learn on that sell it for probably what you bought it for then buy a new bike.

The problem is used bikes don't depreciate, and you don't know their history. The very point that you make that you ARE going to drop it means that unless that new bike was owned by an experienced rider, it has been dropped and repaired. So you're buying something with a possibly tweaked fork, etc. for $9,000, when you can just buy a brand-new, never molested one for $10,000. Used bike values are woefully out-of-wack.

I have went to look at used bike two different times with friends of mine and spotted smashed steering stops on the frame, indicating more than just the parking lot drop that the owner claimed he had fixed. I also check for dents in the swingarm behind the exhaust. Wouldn't buy used unless the price was right and I was an experienced spotter, which I am.

In reply to GameboyRMH: Yeah, this. Poor guy.

Hal
Hal Dork
3/6/13 12:17 p.m.

To N Sperlo:

You will need to make you own choice, you have been given a lot of info and opinions in this thread.

To add to that info: I have ridden motorcycles for ~30 years with an average of 10K miles a year. There was a 5 year period where I did not own any vehicles other than motorcycles. I commuted daily and took numerous 1-2K miles vacation trips. In all that time the largest motorcycle I owned was a 500cc single cylinder Honda.

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
3/6/13 12:20 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to Blitzed306: Break the ice. Tell me I'll kill myself on the 600.

You'll kill yourself on the 600

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
3/6/13 12:24 p.m.

I am with Hal on this one. Stay away from these high strung, high horsepower machines.

Get you a UJM with a little fairing and you would be fine. The SV650 is a great modern choice as is the Ninja 500 and VTR/CBR 250s.

I have been riding my entire life (literally, my dad had me in his military jacket and belt in Germany when I was a few months old.) and I still don't want to throw money down for a huge horsepower machine. Just not my style of riding.

My recommendation for a first bike always has been a small dual sport. If you wreck it you can fix 90% of it with hand tools and someone is always looking for one cheap and you can always flip'em. Then graduate up.

So I will leave you with this, wear your safety gear, get something you fit and are comfortable on.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/6/13 12:35 p.m.

if i was getting a bike for the first time i would go with the Kawasaki Ninja 300 a friends son just got one this year and its fun to ride and i am a fat old guy who has a harley. it does 0 to 60 in 5 sec and a high 13 second quarter mile. it's fast enough to be fun but slow enough to let you learn plus resell values on these small displacement bikes is great.....take a riding class also

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7GIWwQSad8g0tpv5G6CK7zgEBjgva3uwk4SawGiESAOs0wV1iaXstjMayMF6Xie0