1 2 3
SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/13/10 6:04 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Hey, I didn't realize you had one of these too until looking at the Reader's Rides section! Yours is very nice.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/13/10 9:58 p.m.

My partner in the $2009 challenge build owns a VERY nice 87 csx , certainly the nicest ive seen in person.

Disregard the charger, its merely a distraction.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/13/10 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Yeah, that looks like it's in great shape! Got any more pics of it? I haven't seen many pictures of them on the inside and under the hood. I have no clue what mine's supposed to even look like!

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/14/10 12:17 a.m.

I was digging for more before i posted that up.. all i found were a few pics of me putting a clutch in it! I'll pester the owner to get his butt in gear and come post up some shameless self-promotion.

miatame
miatame Reader
7/14/10 11:59 a.m.

If you don't get this running and bring it to the $2010 Challenge I'm going to...well I don't know what I'll do but it won't be good!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/14/10 12:38 p.m.
miatame wrote: If you don't get this running and bring it to the $2010 Challenge I'm going to...well I don't know what I'll do but it won't be good!

If we only had one more spot on the trailer....

In all seriousness, it's too much work to do for this year's Challenge. We have our hands full with the Miata already, and we haven't turned a wrench on it since leaving the Challenge parking lot last year. We have a stockpile of parts for it though.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
7/14/10 1:50 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: In reply to turboswede: Hey, I didn't realize you had one of these too until looking at the Reader's Rides section! Yours is very nice.

Raced one at the Chump Car 24-hour race at Portland. That one was nearly free and looked worse than yours! (it was found on CL parked under someone's off-roader as they had gotten pissed and drove over it)

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s10/fiat22turbo/ChumpCar/

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/14/10 2:23 p.m.

Why the hell would someone do that to such a cool car. At least you guys did something cool with it!

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
7/14/10 3:47 p.m.

Yeah, the owner and builder of the car has my old IMSA race car (CSX-T #3) and he's selling the it to keep the Chump CSX, since he'd feel less worried about destroying the ChumpCar (since its partially destroyed already)

If you know someone that wants a CSX-T roller with a full cage and a few other parts, I'm sure he'd talk about a deal.

I guess the deal with the Chump-CSX was that the redneck couldn't figure out how to get the turbo out to use on one of his projects (probably the crawler) and after hacksawing half-way through the relatively rare intake manifold, he gave up and drove the truck over it because he was mad (and probably drunk)

As ugly as it was, it drove really well on the track and more than held its own at the end of the straight against an SHO, and kept up with my buddies 944 in the twisties. So as the guy that helped put it together and drive it, I feel pretty good about it. We're planning on bringing it back for Halloween this year at Portland.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/14/10 4:49 p.m.

Seriously? Hacksawed through a 2pc intake?

Taking the head off that car is a LOT easier than building that ugly ass truck he parked on top of it. Although, scrap steel and welding dont come into the picture, so maybe the appeal was limited.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/14/10 5:13 p.m.

I've already got a line on a 2.4L motor... that is if the car it's in survives the demolition derby it will be participating in!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
7/14/10 5:27 p.m.

^^ Marshfield Fair??

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/14/10 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

Yes, I think so! His buddy did it last year in his GF's old car and won the Double Figure 8 Championship, so this year, he wants in.

Pseudosport
Pseudosport Reader
7/14/10 5:52 p.m.

Its been 10 years since I've had a derby car at Marshfield

Everyone

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/14/10 5:58 p.m.
Pseudosport wrote: Its been 10 years since I've had a derby car at Marshfield Everyone

Yep!

I'm the big guy to the right of the white door, and Pseudosport himself is holding his trophy up proud! Nothing like bringing your victory party to the local Bickford's breakfast resturant at 11pm after cracking up a derby car!!!!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/15/10 12:16 p.m.

Just curious...

What wheels fit these? I know they are 5x100, but what about offset? Are they hubcentric or lug-centric?I know from the Subaru world that there are plenty of cheap choices for wheels, and I was hoping some Subaru-style ones fit. Also, aren't many VW's 5x100 as well? I like some of their factory wheels, like the 16'' BBS's that they put on the 1999-04 Jettas.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
7/15/10 1:07 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Yep, 5x100. Subaru wheels are typically the wrong offset. Think more along the lines of 5-lug Honda's and VW's and of course Neon's and PT's. Fiero's and GM FWD cars of the time are another option (Cavaliers, etc) Many Mitsubishi's came with 5x114's, but many of their aftermarket wheels are dual-pattern and will typically fit.

I believe they are hub centric, but I've not had problems with not running spacer rings on my aftermarket rims (Drove from Portland to Vegas for the 20th Anniversary of the Shelby Charger in my Daytona at around 90mph most of the time, smooth as silk and 30mpg to boot.) Just have to make sure the wheels are properly torqued and balanced well.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/15/10 1:13 p.m.

Stock offset for that car is +40mm on 15x6 alloys.

Usually the subarus are closer to 50, not a good option unless you got big spacers.

From what i remember, the vw 5x100s have too small of a center bore and need to be bored out to fit.

If you like 16" bbs you might try seeing if you can find some of the 16" bbs wheels they put on SRT-4 ACR. Pretty pricey, usually.. but tasteful and attractive.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
7/15/10 3:45 p.m.

Hey, Prev owner here, someone on turbododge did a search with the vin and it said it came up as #115. Found the old link to the thread too.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f1/f26/103425-shelby-car-dash-plaques-wanted-2.html

Sad I never got anything going with that car, it had boatloads of potential, it was just cursed in the way outside stuff kept me from working on it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/15/10 4:10 p.m.
RoadWarrior wrote: Hey, Prev owner here, someone on turbododge did a search with the vin and it said it came up as #115. Found the old link to the thread too. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f1/f26/103425-shelby-car-dash-plaques-wanted-2.html Sad I never got anything going with that car, it had boatloads of potential, it was just cursed in the way outside stuff kept me from working on it.

Hey, there you are! I started a thread over at Turbo Mopar on the car, and they are also doing a VIN search for me. I didn't think the # would be so low because the build date on the driver's door says 7/87, but who knows if it's original to the car. I'm currently researching what parts were swapped on it too. Just found out the radiator isn't original. Anyway, I should have it up and running soon!

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
7/15/10 5:47 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

BTW, they weren't really numbered sequentially.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/16/10 2:20 p.m.

RoadWarrior is correct. It is car #115 out of Norwood Dodge. I had this confirmed by one of the poeple that has all the Shelby VIN's last night. I'm currently on the lookout for the number plate.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/16/10 2:40 p.m.

Any way to get a reproduction plate?

Pseudosport
Pseudosport Reader
7/20/10 8:25 p.m.

Can anyone tell if this is the stock turbo? It looks like its been clocked and the wastegate bracket and been cut and welded along with the arm. There are also brass fittings for the water lines. Whats throwing me off is that there are 7 compressor blades compared to the 6 on the turbo I 50 trim in my garage. Turbo is still on the car and I can't get an measurements.

2010-07-20 19.52.21 t3

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/20/10 9:45 p.m.

So... that's what the turbo looks like! Is there any shaft play, or could you not get your hand in there? I sure as hell can't!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PSpYZVAl80FUhw6U9l3c4qYS1Comrxa119waEFOpS650Lu6PrziAsJ52TOviMPTU