Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/6/15 5:25 p.m.

That was one interesting race. I think I'm going to have to watch it again. How much trouble are the Lotus guys in for taking each other out?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
7/6/15 5:56 p.m.

I was hoping for a Williams 1 and 2.

Good race!

codrus
codrus Dork
7/6/15 6:17 p.m.

There wasn't really a good shot of the Lotus collision on the world feed, but it looked to me like it was more of a multi-car incident that involved both of them than one Lotus specifically hitting the other.

Williams 1-2 wasn't going to happen. If it had stayed dry and they'd ordered Bottas past Massa (and Massa hadn't just given them the finger like he did the last time they tried that), then maybe they'd have gotten him a win. Hamilton would have passed Massa with a pitstop undercut (just like he did in the actual race) and would then have had to pass Bottas on-track.

With the rain, there was no strategy Williams could have used to win.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
7/6/15 6:36 p.m.

I think even if it had stayed dry and Bottas was allowed by, the best Williams was going to do was 2nd.

codrus
codrus Dork
7/6/15 7:25 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I think even if it had stayed dry and Bottas was allowed by, the best Williams was going to do was 2nd.

Quite possibly. There wasn't an easy way around the pair of them when they were running together, but with no pit stops left and just a single car, Hamilton may well have gotten by.

Still, the fact we're even talking about the possibility of a win for Williams is good news for the team!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
7/6/15 9:09 p.m.

I laughed at Lewis' comment afterwards- "For the first time in my racing career, I made the right tire choices at the right time." or something along those lines.

True.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
7/7/15 1:10 a.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: Really...no discussion after Silverstone??.

Oh sorry just finished watching it a third time! Nice four car battle for the lead instead of just two mercs.

Very nice race. Williams' starts were just great. Both of them got off the line extremely faster than any of the other cars. Massa should have let Bottas by to see if that forced MB to try a more extreme strategy change to give himself a better chance of a win. But as others have said the Williams were soo bad in the wet conditions on intermediate tyres, it was likely a lost venture all the while.

Ricciardo somehow turned one of the Lotus cars and the result was both Lotus cars our and Button out. Looked like a small contact but enough.

Rosberg must have felt very grande to be running down the Williams cars and Hamilton until Lewis had the rain go his way with the pitstop. I like how he and Vettel explained their reasons for wanting to box that lap. Rather more analytical than most would think they had time to do in the car.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
7/7/15 7:27 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I laughed at Lewis' comment afterwards- "For the first time in my racing career, I made the right tire choices at the right time." or something along those lines. True.

don't know if he'd have won or not, but being the first of the front runners to change tires, and then getting the change to inters at the exact perfect moment, pretty much gifted him the win …. if both William's and Seb had changed on the same lap … who knows … but as it was Lewis wasn't pushed at all

3duppiesandadog
3duppiesandadog New Reader
7/7/15 10:08 a.m.

Is there a site where I can watch a replay of the race?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/7/15 10:34 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: Rosberg must have felt very grande to be running down the Williams cars and Hamilton until Lewis had the rain go his way with the pitstop. I like how he and Vettel explained their reasons for wanting to box that lap. Rather more analytical than most would think they had time to do in the car.

These guys are amongst the best in the world at what they do, and they're a lot smarter than they're usually credited for. If you see an interview with one of them that has real depth and that takes place outside the paddock scrum, you see it. They're not just driving on instinct.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/7/15 10:35 a.m.
3duppiesandadog wrote: Is there a site where I can watch a replay of the race?

BBC has them available - sometimes as well-edited highlight shows - in iPlayer. You'll need the free Hola extension to make the BBC site think that you're in the UK.

If you want somewhere to watch it 100% legally - Bernie Ecclestone doesn't believe in that nonsense of streaming and replays.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/7/15 11:07 a.m.

I found myself falling for the commentary and yelling "oh no, not the intermediates!" at the screen when Hamilton pitted. I was also going by a previous radio transmission that said that the rain was over with maybe a light rain coming in 5 minutes. Of course, the guys on the track know a lot more than the rest of us and it turned out to be a brilliant move. In any case, it made for an exciting race, even with Hamilton winning again. That's what F1 needs to get the spectators back.

wae
wae HalfDork
7/7/15 1:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
3duppiesandadog wrote: Is there a site where I can watch a replay of the race?
BBC has them available - sometimes as well-edited highlight shows - in iPlayer. You'll need the free Hola extension to make the BBC site think that you're in the UK. If you want somewhere to watch it 100% legally - Bernie Ecclestone doesn't believe in that nonsense of streaming and replays.

If you have NBC Sports, the Live Extra app will have the race and qualifying available for streaming.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/8/15 9:43 a.m.

As a short diversion - https://youtu.be/boZlncP1PKY - 10 min, enjoy

3duppiesandadog
3duppiesandadog New Reader
7/8/15 11:11 a.m.

Thanks!!

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
7/8/15 2:15 p.m.

In reply to wae:

Yes that is how I watched the Austrian GP, NBC Sports Go. If you don't have nbcsn on your cable ask your friends and family for their account info.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/8/15 4:00 p.m.

Does the streaming version include all the commercials?

I watched Silverstone live on NBC and I'm rewatching it now on BBC. Quite a difference, and I'll take Coulthard and Jordan over Hobbs any day. Haven't got to the rain yet, it'll be interesting to see how the commentary differs.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
7/9/15 8:34 p.m.

Anyone read about why the Williams were so bad in the rain? They just fell back.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
7/9/15 8:58 p.m.

They run a much lower downforce package than the factory Mercs from what I understand. That was a fun race. Can't wait for the NA swing. It should be interesting to see what Mexico is like. :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/9/15 9:50 p.m.

The bbc had a fair bit on that. Basically, yes. They looked at the calendar and figured that low downforce high speed would benefit them most over the course of the season. Which handicaps them when their tires are poor.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
7/14/15 10:13 a.m.

Roberto Merhi is in trouble. He's been peddling the Mannor Marussia around at the back of the grid all year. He's also been racing Formula Renault 3.5 where he finished 3rd in the championship last year. At the last 3.5 race this past weekend in Austria he crossed the line 4th the for no apparent reason slowed way down even though drivers have been warned not to do that. The result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pM_LykNGTA (pretent this is at least 2001 and the vid is embeded)

He took out Nicholas Latifi and luckily neither was hurt. Merhi (deservedly) got excluded from the weekend, both that race and the second race.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
7/14/15 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Who looks dumber, the people that continue to cash his check, or that a F1 driver is running in a 3rd tier race series for up and coming racers...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
7/14/15 2:14 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Who looks dumber, the people that continue to cash his check, or that a F1 driver is running in a 3rd tier race series for up and coming racers...

Well, if I had the talent to raise the money, I'd sure as hell be driving around in a back of the pack race team!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/14/15 2:45 p.m.

Haas has a short list of 10 drivers

Those mentioned.... Esteban Gutierrez, Jean-Eric Vergne, Nico Hulkenberg, Valtteri Bottas, Daniel Ricciardo, Kimi Raikkonen, Kevin Magnussen

No mention of Jenson Button whose contract is also ending.

So... 7 were in the article.... I added Button thinking Haas could get a lot from Jensen when it comes to development.

So whom else??? Or maybe there are other drivers he's considering......... What say the hive

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
7/14/15 3:37 p.m.

Kimi has said he won't race unless he races for Ferrari. Wonder if a Ferrari engine would meet that requirement?
Big question is, what is their money situation like? Can they afford a big name (or two) without blowing their entire budget from the start? Since it's a developing team and developing car, the perfect scenario would be to grab a seasoned driver (Ricciardo, Raikkonen, Button, Alonso?) and an experienced but less seasoned guy to fill in the second seat. I would be a wicked move if they could pull a any of those four and all (except maybe Kimi) aren't terribly happy where they are right now. IF (and that's a big IF) they really do have the budget, I think they're looking at the right time to capitalize on some drivers who are not very happy in their current seats and could pull a major coup if they could pull one....

If Haas has developed a good chassis and it's combined with Ferrari power, they could potentially put a serious fight to Mclaren, Red Bull and probably Williams. I'd argue each of those teams has drivers looking for something more competitive.....

I guess the silly season is really going to start early!

-Rob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
14UiguTKKxQPTRgHjBjaIextu5jLD51j7v6TQSlSDGT5zAu7qdPfZzFCN1Ti4dXy