GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/7/15 9:19 a.m.
XLR99 wrote: Tech question for the smart people: when Kimi had to reboot his (apparently Windows powered) Ferrari, why did it sound like a turbine spooling down? KERS flywheels?

KERS flywheels aren't used in F1. Could be something the turbo was doing, don't forget those have the TERS motor/generator on them.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/13/15 11:56 a.m.
Motorsport.com said: Vergne’s main competition is fellow reserve Esteban Gutierrez, who has a strong commercial package from Mexico behind him, and the US-based team’s top target, Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg. “There are three of us, for two seats,” Vergne told Motorsport.com.

It's down to three.......???

ncjay
ncjay Dork
8/17/15 4:14 p.m.

Ran across this interesting record that had escaped my notice. Keke Rosberg held the all time fastest lap record for about 17 years in F1. In 1985 he lapped Silverstone in his turbo Honda Williams in 1:05.591. That's about 2.93 miles in just over a minute. Think about that.

codrus
codrus Dork
8/17/15 5:22 p.m.
ncjay wrote: Ran across this interesting record that had escaped my notice. Keke Rosberg held the all time fastest lap record for about 17 years in F1. In 1985 he lapped Silverstone in his turbo Honda Williams in 1:05.591. That's about 2.93 miles in just over a minute. Think about that.

The long-running records like happen because the FIA changes the rules periodically to slow the cars down. After this record was set they reconfigured Silverstone and added a chicane. It was broken by Montoya at Monza in the early 2000s, after that they went from the V10s to the V8s to slow the cars down.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/18/15 11:22 a.m.

Spa!!!!

Can Williams fight back ahead of Ferrari and RedBull?

Will McHonda finally race well?

I hope MB is ready. This is shaping up to be like 2007 where McLaren fell apart to give the DWC to Raikkonen. Is it Vettel's 5th championship time?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
8/18/15 12:29 p.m.
ncjay wrote: Ran across this interesting record that had escaped my notice. Keke Rosberg held the all time fastest lap record for about 17 years in F1. In 1985 he lapped Silverstone in his turbo Honda Williams in 1:05.591. That's about 2.93 miles in just over a minute. Think about that.

That ain't nutin! Next month the record for the fastest ever F1 race will be 34 years old. 150.751 mph by Pete Gethin in a BRM at the old still banked Monza Auutodromo. Now to really put that impressive feat into perspective, by 1971 Monza no longer had it's famous banking, it was all flat open unbanked corners but slipstreaming was still king in the pre mega down force days. Some, but not all cars had wings, but due to slipstraming the top 5 cars were covered by, wait for it. 0.61 seconds. Think about that for a minute. 0.61 seconds.

To put that more into perspective, the fastest Indy 500 race to that time that years 500 with an average speed of 157.735 on the famous BANKED oval!

Adrian_Thompson
8/18/15 12:34 p.m.
Advan046 wrote: Spa!!!! Can Williams fight back ahead of Ferrari and RedBull? Will McHonda finally race well? I hope MB is ready. This is shaping up to be like 2007 where McLaren fell apart to give the DWC to Raikkonen. Is it Vettel's 5th championship time?

Don't get me wrong, I loved that Ferrari and Vettel won in Hungary (Yes etofosi, I said it, I was happy for a red purse win). But that flattered to deceive. IT was a track that played to Ferrari more than Mercedes and showed the Williams at it's worst. Also no matter how hard Hamilton shot himself in the foot Nico was determind to out stupid him. Vettel and the red team did an outstanding job, but Mercedes as a team, and as drives did everything to help them.

I think we will see Lewis winning easy, Nico petrified on the first lap loosing 2nd on the grid to Vettel or Bottas. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting:
Lewis
Vettel
Bottas
Nico
Miki
Massa as the top 6.

Adrian_Thompson
8/18/15 12:35 p.m.
Advan046 wrote: Will McHonda finally race well?

I wish, nope they will be back fighting for 10th place and probably loosing it

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
8/18/15 12:42 p.m.

RoGro is prepping for Spa:

Adrian_Thompson
8/18/15 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

I berkeleying love Ricciardo, that's awesome.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/18/15 3:02 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
That ain't nutin! Next month the record for the fastest ever F1 race will be 34 years old. 150.751 mph by Pete Gethin in a BRM at the old still banked Monza Auutodromo. Now to really put that impressive feat into perspective, by 1971 Monza no longer had it's famous banking, it was all flat open unbanked corners but slipstreaming was still king in the pre mega down force days. Some, but not all cars had wings, but due to slipstraming the top 5 cars were covered by, wait for it. 0.61 seconds. Think about that for a minute. 0.61 seconds. To put that more into perspective, the fastest Indy 500 race to that time that years 500 with an average speed of 157.735 on the famous BANKED oval!

well, slightly banked <10° … though still more than Monza

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/18/15 3:05 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: RoGro is prepping for Spa:

well I understand his predicament … like how do I make my foot stay flat on the floor through T12 at Road Atlanta … or flat for the turnin to the uphill esses at VIR ?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
8/18/15 6:26 p.m.

That's not a lot of weight to squat....maybe there's more hanging from a place you can't see in that pic?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/18/15 6:32 p.m.

yeah … assuming those are 25# plates … I actually squat with that much as warm up .. and I'm old, with bad back, and bad knees

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/18/15 6:50 p.m.

You're also not a F1 jockey. He doesn't need massive strength, he needs lean endurance.

Besides, he's an F1 driver. I'm sure the teams use depleted uranium or something for weights because it's more expensive and complex.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/18/15 9:45 p.m.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
8/18/15 10:42 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
That ain't nutin! Next month the record for the fastest ever F1 race will be 34 years old. 150.751 mph by Pete Gethin in a BRM at the old still banked Monza Auutodromo. Now to really put that impressive feat into perspective, by 1971 Monza no longer had it's famous banking, it was all flat open unbanked corners but slipstreaming was still king in the pre mega down force days. Some, but not all cars had wings, but due to slipstraming the top 5 cars were covered by, wait for it. 0.61 seconds. Think about that for a minute. 0.61 seconds. To put that more into perspective, the fastest Indy 500 race to that time that years 500 with an average speed of 157.735 on the famous BANKED oval!

Caution flags bring that average down quite a bit for Indy.

Adrian_Thompson
8/19/15 8:03 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Caution flags bring that average down quite a bit for Indy.

Agreed, but the lap record at Indy in 1971 was 174.961 by Mark Donohue, that had just jumpd from 167.785 the year before. The lap record at Monza was 156.1mph. Yes still slower than 167.7 or 174, but come on this was a road course not a super speedway. To me, for the time, 1971 at Monza was a very very special race.

1960-1980 must have been an amazing time to be involved in racing. As a benchmark the lap record at Indy went from 146mph to 190mph in that 20 years. Both F1 and Indy cars went from front engine tube chassis with no aero on treaded tires to mid engined turbo charged monsters with monocoque chassis (carbon just making it's early showing) with massive wings, ground effect, huge slicks, real fires suits, crash structures, bag fuel tanks etc etc. I'm not sure there ever has been or ever will be a greater rate of change in the racing world. Race cars are still using the same basic formula as today as they were in 1980 just with (huge) improvements in materials and execution as well as electronic control. Just the same as cars in 1960 were using the same basic formula as they had in 1950, 1930 even 1920. Those two decades will never be repeated.

OK, I'll put my nostalgic cap back in the cupboard, back in 2015 and F1. Who want Kimi to wear a shirt saying 'I'm one of the drivers tipped to replace Kimi at Ferrari' this weekend?

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/19/15 8:50 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Advan046 wrote: Will McHonda finally race well?
I wish, nope they will be back fighting for 10th place and probably loosing it

I did say "well" not "great" I think well for them is finishing both cars and actually getting to race someone other than Manor, so the Lotus and Sauber guys. If Honda can near Renault power and be reliable then maybe we can see them with Force India and torro rosso.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/19/15 8:55 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Who want Kimi to wear a shirt saying 'I'm one of the drivers tipped to replace Kimi at Ferrari' this weekend?

Me, that would be cool.

He just isn't spectacular with these current version F1 cars. Maybe he will figure it out or Ferrari will find a way to not put the wrong engine maps in his car or screw up his pitstop or retire him with KERS/MTU/WTF failure.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
8/19/15 11:00 a.m.

No need for that now: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/8/raikkonen-to-stay-with-ferrari-in-2016.html

Ferrari have announced that Kimi Raikkonen will stay with the team for the 2016 season. In a brief statement the Italian team confirmed that they have renewed their “technical and racing agreement” with the 2007 world champion, who will remain as Sebastian Vettel’s team mate.
Adrian_Thompson
8/19/15 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

That just takes the fun out of it.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/19/15 12:28 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Ferrari have announced that Kimi Raikkonen will stay with the team for the 2016 season. In a brief statement the Italian team confirmed that they have renewed their “technical and racing agreement” with the 2007 world champion, who will remain as Sebastian Vettel’s team mate.

Go Kimi!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/19/15 2:00 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: No need for that now: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/8/raikkonen-to-stay-with-ferrari-in-2016.html

Let silly season begin.........

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/19/15 9:20 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: No need for that now: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/8/raikkonen-to-stay-with-ferrari-in-2016.html
Let silly season begin.........

I actually can't think of any driver that would be cut. Grojean maybe. Everyone else seems good and fixed where they are. Hmmmmm

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ttQ5po9MxtTD3qs6E7wXhXBqc5MKYHLUMOZr5Ecu0nJRU016na5uWoKxQr3I4LxD