Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/6/15 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

It was on Motorsport.com

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/6/15 8:52 a.m.
Mike924 wrote: And just to add fuel. Marrussia/Manor almost back from the brink was denied entrance to this years F1 circus by of all teams Force India!! They proposed to use last years car, and are/were trying to get things in place. From what I have read on crash, there just wasn't enough meat in the proposal. http://www.crash.net/f1/news/214473/1/f1-marussia-request-to-run-2014-car-rejected-by-rivals.html

It now looks like Manor WILL be at the first race! http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117908

Lets hope they can solidify a good business model, and next year when Haas comes in- we have solid, big fields.

Bernie did relent a little in terms of money to the small teams.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
3/6/15 9:05 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: It was on Motorsport.com

Reported it as a rumor. I'm still not buying it. I think they are just being extremely cautious.

Former F1 doc has some thoughts on it: https://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/

My conclusion? There’s nothing suspicious here . . . yet. Statistically speaking, there’s an extremely high probability that Fernando will be fine for Sepang. What about if not? I think that if for some reason Fernando doesn’t drive in Malaysia, we’ll certainly have more information by then – because at that point, we’d very clearly be into new territory (still conceivable, but . . .) in terms of concussion recovery in our sport.
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/6/15 9:06 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: It was on Motorsport.com

The article is titled 'The truth – and fiction – about Alonso's Barcelona test crash' And the opening paragraph states 'We've collected the wildest stories written in the world's media about Fernando Alonso's crash at Barcelona. One thing is for certain: they can't all be true...' And the bits you're mentioning come under the 'rumors' section, not the 'truth' section.

Was it a bad wreck? Yup
Worse than it appeared? Yup
Was he electocuted? Nope
Does he think he drives for Ferrari in 1997? Nope. Nothing on his official website, his Facebook or his Titter accounts lends any credence to those silly claims.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
3/6/15 1:51 p.m.

McLaren addresses the rumors: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24184/9746706/fernando-alonso-suffered-temporary-memory-loss-after-his-crash-in-testing

"It was just a normal concussion [with] a loss of temporary memory," Boullier told Sky Sports F1. "It's not as dramatic as you read in the media. Everything is back to normal."
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/6/15 2:50 p.m.

actually he is so frustrated with the car/engine... his ego forced him back to 1995.....

Adrian_Thompson
3/11/15 12:43 p.m.

F1 is becoming a low class soap opera. Van der Garde has sued Sauber for a race seat. He and Sutil had contracts for this year, but Sauber signed Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr anyway. Van der Garde has been claiming all along he had a contract first. Intially a Swiss court sided with him, but Sauber ignored it, now he's successfully sued in Australian court as well.

so it looks like Sauber is going to have to stand down either Ericsson or Nasr which will suck for one of them, and probably end up in whoever is stood down counter suing back.

It's a good job Bernie advanced them money on this years results, they'll need it for solicitors.

http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/193917.html

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/11/15 2:33 p.m.

I'm assuming every Sauber driver is paying for their seat. Looks like the team got greedy with a better offer - and forgot that someone who can afford to buy a seat can also buy lawyers.

DanielCut
DanielCut New Reader
3/11/15 4:24 p.m.

Anybody interested in fantasy F1? It's free. We have a mini-league called GRM, password is grm123

DanielCut
DanielCut New Reader
3/11/15 4:25 p.m.

Forgot to add the site...

http://fantasy.planetf1.com/default.aspx?page=register

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/11/15 11:04 p.m.

Manor is back in! Woooooot!

Adrian_Thompson
3/12/15 8:23 a.m.

I am 100% OK with the concept of pay drivers. Such hacks as Lauda, Senna, Schumacher and ALonso started out as pay drives.

I'd love to see a woman in F1 as well, I was really hopeful of seeing Simona de Silvestro in a Sauber as she has real skill and talent and has proven it on track and has race wins in lower formula to back up her cred.

But sometimes things go too far. Have you seen Lotus F1's development / test driver for this year? Carmen Jordá. YEs she's a looker, a hell of a looker, but as a racing driver? I think honestly you could take anyone and train them to be as good. She's never won a race in any catagory. She's spent the last three years in GP# and been right at the back of the field, like last 3-4 places in grids of 25+ in every race. NEver scored a single point in GP3. Last year her team repalced her with Dean Stoneman for the last 4 races. He took the car she never never once got up to the mid pack in let alone scored a point and won two races, finished 2nd in one and had a retirement in the last.

I'd love to see a woman make it to F1. Alice Powell is out winning races and championships. Beitske Visser is at least scoring points in F. Reanult 3.5. Simona has real talent and has had some great drives in a 2nd tier Indy car team, yet Carmen is at Lotus?

She is cute though, hot, very.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
3/12/15 10:18 a.m.

Suzie Wolff has shown good speed in her FP appearances for Williams and has obvious connections at Mercedes. Maybe when Felipe retires, but she's the only woman in sight right now with a valid shot, now that Simona is back in Indycar (with Andretti, for now!).

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
3/12/15 11:01 a.m.

Mmmmmmmmm Suzie Wolff

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/12/15 11:44 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I am 100% OK with the concept of pay drivers. Such hacks as Lauda, Senna, Schumacher and ALonso started out as pay drives.

I didn't say there was a problem with it, but I can see how a poor team would be tempted to take a better offer and just tell the other guy to sod off. Oops, forgot we had that in writing...

I find it ridiculous that the FIA didn't grant a Superlicense to Sebastian Loeb but they'll gladly take any pimply teenager (or hot girl, apparently) who can finish a season of their pet open wheel series without causing too many fatalities as long as they bring enough money to the table.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
3/12/15 2:44 p.m.

Good on the Manor team to make it in for practice and qualifying for the first race. I always like the underdog and these guys are it. Still it is hard to know if they will make the cut off. Without turning a wheel it will be dicey. They did it the first year though.

It sucks about Alonso, but works out for a very talented driver, Kevin Magnussen. And all that stuff about Sauber just shows how far a decent team has fallen. They need the money, and signed drivers with good backing. Van der Guarde is a good driver, but just can't foot the bill.

I will be watching.

etifosi
etifosi Reader
3/12/15 3:45 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I am 100% OK with the concept of pay drivers. Such hacks as Lauda, Senna, Schumacher and ALonso started out as pay drives. I'd love to see a woman in F1 as well, I was really hopeful of seeing Simona de Silvestro in a Sauber as she has real skill and talent and has proven it on track and has race wins in lower formula to back up her cred. But sometimes things go too far. Have you seen Lotus F1's development / test driver for this year? Carmen Jordá. YEs she's a looker, a hell of a looker, but as a racing driver? I think honestly you could take anyone and train them to be as good. She's never won a race in any catagory. She's spent the last three years in GP# and been right at the back of the field, like last 3-4 places in grids of 25+ in every race. NEver scored a single point in GP3. Last year her team repalced her with Dean Stoneman for the last 4 races. He took the car she never never once got up to the mid pack in let alone scored a point and won two races, finished 2nd in one and had a retirement in the last. I'd love to see a woman make it to F1. Alice Powell is out winning races and championships. Beitske Visser is at least scoring points in F. Reanult 3.5. Simona has real talent and has had some great drives in a 2nd tier Indy car team, yet Carmen is at Lotus? She is cute though, hot, very.

Simona gets a top-tier car! I can't wait to see her embarrass Marko!

(quoted for cleavage purposes)

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/14/15 9:42 p.m.

Not to side track, but are any of you guys streaming the races? And if so where?

We don't currently have cable...

Or is there a site that will have the entire race posted later on like sometime during the week?

Even if I know who wins I still want to watch.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
3/14/15 10:08 p.m.

So, how 'bout those McLaren-Hondas?

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
3/14/15 10:16 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

You may be able to get it on "cricfree".

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/14/15 11:54 p.m.

http://eplsite.com/f1.html is streaming live right now. Sucks that Bottas isn't running, but go Massa and go Sauber!

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
3/15/15 1:32 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: So, how 'bout those McLaren-Hondas?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/15/15 1:42 a.m.

That was a lot of failures! Go Sauber!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/15/15 4:00 p.m.

Not many running by the end of that one..

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/15/15 5:13 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: So, how 'bout those McLaren-Hondas?

One car didn't even finish the formation lap, the other drove farther that they have the sum of all cars (I think...). At least it was some progress.

Hope they get something going.

The very front was kinda boring, but what can we expect now. It's clear that they have a very massive advantage in their car- since others have the same powertrain. Engine wise, the rest of the Mercedes cars were in the middle of everyone else.

Ferrari is much improved, but not as improved as Sauber. Great to see them get two cars in points after last year and last week.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZNL669808c8aFMaGWGDnRVL4WGIByIbW1wERKw7EZNBYNaZ6VS95vhRzzQbGlNhE