300zxfreak said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

WE WANT GAUGES DAMMIT !!!!!!

Forever and ever, amen!

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/4/22 4:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I see the manual is lighter and slower, but not the actual weight or the 0-60 time. What's the power? What's the price? What's anything?

Did BMW do the reveal in a hotel parking lot with no lighting?

My camera certainly didn't dig the lighting. I was shooting as low as 1/40, at 1600 ISO, with flash. I don't like doing more ISO as it dulls colors and creates too much grain.

J.A. Ackley
11/4/22 4:11 p.m.
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
11/4/22 4:28 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

Hey guys, at least it doesn't feature the hideous pig snout.....but can't say that it's exactly handsome either.

This. I want to be relieved that it's got less huge nostrilmouth than the 3/4, but it's still not very nice to look at. And heavy. And expensive.

I mean, all we've really established is that they shouldn't care what I think about it because it's too far from anything I'd spend money on. I can conceive of buying an E9x or F3x to DD, kinda, but I think the days of my buying a new BMW went out the window even before they torqued me off with the parts-bin-as-a-service bullhockey.

And while my F55 Mini got to about 80k before going from "change the oil" to "rolling repairs," (which is legit; we're getting into the age where parts are reasonably reaching the end of their service lives, though the timing cover leak is a little disappointing) I'd have to like it a lot more to want to wade a lot deeper down this slope. It's taking time away from what should be spent on things like 2002s, E30s, E12s...

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
11/4/22 4:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

From the BMW site and other media outlets:

453 hp, 406 tq

3.9s for the auto, thus 4.1s for the stick

$63,195

Sunroof is 20% bigger thanks to superior German engineering

19x9.5 wheels front, 20x10.5 wheels rear - that's interesting.

Built in Mexico.

Wait... A carbon fiber roof to save weight and a BIGGER sunroof?    *confused*

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/4/22 4:54 p.m.

Love the color. And the front end looks better than the 3/4. Best looking current BMW.

I'm not a BMW guy though. Even with disposable income and the want for a new car in this market segment, this would not be it.

J.A. Ackley
11/4/22 6:06 p.m.

Here are a few photos of what it looks like in daylight.

J.A. Ackley
11/4/22 6:06 p.m.

J.A. Ackley
11/4/22 6:08 p.m.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
11/4/22 7:28 p.m.

Sorry but the color looks horrible. Maybe it's the black wheels throwing me off but eeewwwww

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/4/22 9:09 p.m.

I think it looks good. <ducks for cover>

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
11/4/22 10:08 p.m.

It's like they gave up trying to style the front end. :(

Growl_R
Growl_R New Reader
11/4/22 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

Why not?  The M4 looks like a mustang frown

Growl_R
Growl_R New Reader
11/4/22 10:27 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe JC Whitney has a few tasteful add ons?

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/5/22 2:51 a.m.

I would guess 90% of prospective buyers would actually prefer another one of these if they were re released.  Can they not just look at pictures at their design language pre 2005 and start over with their whole lineup? 

You can't look at these beside each other and think it's going in a better direction. 

nyascona75
nyascona75 New Reader
11/5/22 3:21 a.m.

I look forward to seeing it in person.   Very different lines than we're accustomed to seeing, but I like a lot about it.   Delighted about the third pedal.

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
11/5/22 6:48 a.m.

I really liked the first version of the M2 and came close to getting one when they were new.  I really have no interest in this at all.  It offers lots of performance but these days there are a lot of cars that offer way more performance than I would ever use so that's not much of a factor for me any more.  I'm attracted to cars by how they look (and sound) and this just doesn't look good to me.  

I appreciate that BMW is at least offering a color for their cars and they've come up with a bunch of blues that I really like.  This blue isn't one of them but at least they're trying.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
11/5/22 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I dislike black wheels on everything. Always.  The details and style gets lost in the shadows.  

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/5/22 9:18 a.m.

It looks like it was styled by AI that was fed images old GTA cars and a couple of modern BMWs.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
11/5/22 9:20 a.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I dislike black wheels on everything. Always.  The details and style gets lost in the shadows.  

Agreed. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
11/5/22 9:36 a.m.
STM317 said:

It looks like it was styled by AI that was fed images old GTA cars and a couple of modern BMWs.

Fully agreed.  I couldn't quite put my finger on why it looked...weird to me until your comment.

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/5/22 10:36 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Put the E46 next to the M2 and dang does it make the M2 look better.

(unabashed E46 hater runs and hides)

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
11/5/22 5:02 p.m.

Looks like BMW is never going to give me a reason to sell mine

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/5/22 7:09 p.m.

That's just not a good looking car.  I mean, the M3/4 nose is hideous, so in comparison this is somewhat better but it's still not esthetically pleasing to behold.

Masterdebator
Masterdebator New Reader
11/6/22 1:11 a.m.

Dear BMW,

Not every car needs 19inch wheels and computer screens. 

Sincerely,

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vyX1tDM8psgqhrT0NgWg47dKHIOb78IG4FJWMx1FNhrgVcOUgPBXxMUOrCm1yelN