trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
7/2/24 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Max scored points and Lando did not, he obviously didn't do it hard enough.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/2/24 8:52 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

He went after the tire that was already flat...

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/2/24 9:20 p.m.

I don't know what you guys are bitchin about - you all complain about how dull the racing is - well, it's not dull anymore!!!!

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/3/24 12:48 a.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

I was into the race until the poor racecraft by the driver of car #1. It was so bad that it literally made me turn off the replay. And wonder if I would watch any more as it seems to be a return to reality show programming of the end of the 2021 season, versus racing. 

I was really hoping the current champion had changed for the better so that I would see exciting racing instead of dangerous driving just to increase ratings on social media clicks. Imagine if they could have raced clean like Norris and Russell through several corners. 

I already know I won't listen to any podcasts until after Silverstone. Some will celebrate F1 moving closer to Survidashions TV. I guess there has always been NASCAR fans that watch for the crashes and hockey fans that watch for the fights. C'est la vie but not exciting to me. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/3/24 8:44 a.m.

I gave Max the benefit of the doubt of not seeing Lando as at that point he should have been looking for the apex.

Seeing the incident from his roll bar cam shows him initially looking right as expected but turns his head to the left and then the wheel proving to non blindfolded Max fans it was 100% intentional.

The FIA took an entire season away from MS(and he was pretty popular at the time) for doing in essence the same thing,I'm fine with that as a penalty vs 10 seconds

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/3/24 9:37 a.m.

Here's a POV of the incident that might change your mind.

video link

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/3/24 9:44 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Nope not at all,accidental contact while racing hard is ok by me....driving by the mirror and turning into the other car is not fine ever.

I was never a Shumi/Senna/Prost fan despite their massive talents because of that trait.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/3/24 9:55 a.m.

Driving by your mirrors is bad huh?

r/formuladank - Max bad, DOTD boy good.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/3/24 10:17 a.m.

Feel free to look (not very far) back on my general thoughts on driver etiquette......

If I could find Max's onboard vid perhaps you'd consider changing your view

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/3/24 10:21 a.m.

It's one thing when they are both over driving and slide into each other. It's a totally different thing when one driver turns into the other to intimidate them because of a crash.  

Using a potential crash as a weapon is bad. Just bad. 

How is that so hard to see?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/3/24 10:24 a.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Oh Max was definitely in the wrong. But I'm tired of folks pretending like they both weren't driving like shiny happy people and both had it coming. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/3/24 10:28 a.m.

When did Lando drive into max?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/3/24 10:31 a.m.

And just as bad is how RBR and Horner blame everyone else but their driver. Reminds me of that hockey "tough guy" who dishes out a lot of cheap shots but then refuses to fight when challenged for being cheap. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/3/24 10:51 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Yes the culture inside RBR doesn't lead to improvements and moving on does it.

Most people not blinded by orange shirts don't want a repeat of '21 but that's where its heading if they let E36 M3 go now like they did then...and I mean equal across the board not aimed just at Max.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/3/24 10:53 a.m.

People forget when max brake checked Lewis when he was supposed to just let him by. 

If people are ok with the driver in front of you brake checking you to scare you, well, can't change that. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/3/24 11:16 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

But they can change that,they have ALL the data available to them they just choose to either let it go or give a meaningless time penalty.

The drivers will always explore advantages untill the can't....how many hundreds of track limit violations where there last yr in Austria?

Add a strip of gravel and as if by magic the drivers somehow managed to mostly stay on the track.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/3/24 11:49 a.m.

Some insight from Brembo, for the British Grand Prix:

With the British Grand Prix, Formula 1 reaches the halfway point of the season. With 58 Grand Prix races hosted, the Silverstone Circuit is one of the three longest-running circuits in the World Championship, alongside with the Autodromo Nazionale di Monza and the Circuit de Monaco. The first edition dates back to 1950, but the British GP was also hosted at Aintree and Brands Hatch. In 2020, the Silverstone Circuit hosted two events because the 70th Anniversary GP was also held there to celebrate 70 years since the first World Championship round.

The GP data

According to Brembo technicians, the 5.891 km long Silverstone Circuit falls into the category of circuits that are not very demanding on the brakes. On a scale from 1 to 5, it has earned a difficulty index of 1, although this does not mean that brakes are unimportant. The 7 braking points involve using the brakes for almost 10.5 seconds per lap, and in two of these braking sections, the braking distance exceeds 100 meters.

•          Brembo Identity Card - PDF format: Brembo - Formula 1 - archive

•          Hardest Braking Point video-.mp4 format: https://we.tl/t-7qvXEH9KSe

•          Hardest Braking Point YT link: https://youtu.be/Lgg4gT2cZAE?si=9mszcND8zYmX3J5l

•          Web news link: https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/2024-formula1-great-britain-gp-brembo-brakes

Once Upon a Time 

Formula 1 is a constantly evolving Championship, and braking components are no exception. Twenty years ago, for example, the cars were less sophisticated than they are today, and therefore the braking systems were less complex. Brembo produced three different models of calipers, identical for all the teams it supplied, with usage depending on the circuit. Brembo produced an ultralight caliper for GPs at Silverstone and Suzuka, which did not require significant braking effort. A second option was the medium-sized caliper, suitable for most tracks. The set was completed by a heavy caliper, necessary for tracks that put the brakes under severe stress, such as Montreal, Spa-Francorchamps, and Monza. For several years now, each team has a custom-made caliper, designed and created in co-design with Brembo.

The Toughest Corner 

The toughest corner at the Silverstone Circuit for the braking system is Turn 3, where the cars go from 279 km/h to 120 km/h in 2.03 seconds, covering 102 meters. The effort required from the drivers during these moments is not to be underestimated: the maximum deceleration they undergo is 4.4 g, and they must apply 136 kg of pressure on the brake pedal. The braking power is 2,201 kW.

The Pointless Brake 

The 1998 British GP is famous for its incredible ending. On lap 43, Michael Schumacher overtook a lapped car despite the yellow flags. At that moment, he was 40 seconds behind Mika Hakkinen. Shortly after, the safety car came out, erasing the gap, and by lap 51, Schumacher was leading, extending his advantage to 22 seconds. On the penultimate lap, however, he was given a stop-and-go penalty. On the final lap, Schumacher entered the pit lane and crossed the finish line from there, stopping a few meters later to serve the 10-second penalty. This move was pointless because the penalty was issued too late. Perhaps the German wanted to enjoy the Brembo brakes one last time. 

Chasing Records 

Last year, a total of 480,000 people attended the British GP over four days. Only the 1995 Australian GP in Adelaide had a higher attendance, with 520,000 spectators. To try and maintain or even surpass this level, this year the Thursday evening at Silverstone will feature Kings of Leon, Friday will see Stormzy, Saturday will have Pete Tong, and Sunday will feature Rudimental. A true music festival, although fans probably prefer the sound of engines.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/3/24 12:29 p.m.
alfadriver said:

People forget when max brake checked Lewis when he was supposed to just let him by. 

If people are ok with the driver in front of you brake checking you to scare you, well, can't change that. 

Funny, I remember them both playing games trying to ensure the other didn't get DRS.  The "brake check" was after Lewis refused to go around.  

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/3/24 12:52 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

Have you ever approuched a car  thats doing 60 in the middle of the track while your near 200 and question if you maybe you should back out and see whats up??

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/3/24 12:53 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

Have you ever approuched a car  thats doing 60 in the middle of the track while your near 200 and question if you maybe you should back out and see whats up??

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/3/24 12:59 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to jmabarone :

Nope, and neither did Lewis.  When Max backed out on the last straight, Hamilton did as well.  As I said, they were both playing games.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/3/24 1:38 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

We remember things differently. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/3/24 1:53 p.m.

https://youtu.be/QS4Z38HhsMc?si=NbnHWQ4KU4qj7ap6&t=44

Starts at Max being told to give the position back "strategically"

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/3/24 2:18 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

Reminds us that RBR knows how to break the rules and get away with it. Pass illegally in turn one, wait to the last corner to take advantage of the drs and then try to let the other car by. Awesome. Kinda like how they had Sergio drag a broken car around the track and pay the pittance of a penalty for it. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/3/24 4:11 p.m.

No one said that was OK. If Verstappen turned into Norris retaliating for that it makes it even less OK.

Verstappen often behaves in a petulant manner.............this is not OK regardless of who the driver is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5RRjBWfr6V1kKsz3oy82WAat6ecDNgMbyh3DaffvDwsmBzNbcdk2A48bgJ8F6MGd