62 63 64
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/22/24 7:40 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

They've both had more then enough time/chances to prove they should be in the top 20 drivers in the world and are coming up very short.

The problem is the strict limits on testing.  New drivers don't get a chance to show what they can do, and drivers who already have experience in an F1 car are very important for feedback/development even if they aren't fast enough to win races.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
9/22/24 7:44 p.m.

Sure,but if you consistently lose to your team mates across multiple seasons and teams isn't that enough of a test?

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
9/22/24 10:53 p.m.

The biggest hidden story of Ricciardo needing to move on is that Tsunoda has stood above all teammates over the last two seasons. I am still confused why he doesn't even get a minor mention for future seats?

MB just had a super off day with strategy. Almost embarrassed for them..

Lando did an impressive job.

Nico Hulkenburg has proven me wrong. I just considered him a Coulthard just not fast enough but maybe he just never got himself into the right team at the right time. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
9/23/24 1:44 a.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

Sure,but if you consistently lose to your team mates across multiple seasons and teams isn't that enough of a test?

"Testing" isn't about testing the driver, it's about testing the car.  It's about taking all the new parts that the engineering guys dreamed up and confirming whether or not they actually work.  To do that you need a driver who is already familiar with the car, can consistently post up the same lap times, and can give good feedback to the engineering department about what works and what doesn't and why.  This is not usually something that new drivers who have never sat in an F1 car before are good at.

In testing, consistency is much more important than outright speed.  They have to be fast enough to actually use the car, but they can be multiple seconds off the pace of a race driver and still give good info.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
9/23/24 7:10 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Yes for sure,however times have changed and with the overload of data they have on every aspect of how a driver drives both in the real world and in their multi million dollar sim programs most of the guesswork is removed.

And it seems that tech advantage is preparing the latest crops of young talent better then ever to hop in an F1 car and perform immediately.

I'm actually fine with reduced testing,I really don't care if they don't find that last tenth.

I'd be more then fine with 1 practice and every weekend includes a sprint race but it determines the race order for the feature.

Who cares if any of the teams reach perfection on any given weekend,they are paid to put on a show. :)

loosecannon
loosecannon UltraDork
9/23/24 9:23 a.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Yes for sure,however times have changed and with the overload of data they have on every aspect of how a driver drives both in the real world and in their multi million dollar sim programs most of the guesswork is removed.

And it seems that tech advantage is preparing the latest crops of young talent better then ever to hop in an F1 car and perform immediately.

I'm actually fine with reduced testing,I really don't care if they don't find that last tenth.

I'd be more then fine with 1 practice and every weekend includes a sprint race but it determines the race order for the feature.

Who cares if any of the teams reach perfection on any given weekend,they are paid to put on a show. :)

I think a good solution is have testing 3 or 4 times a year on the Monday/Tuesday following a race, but only with drivers who have less than X experience. And the number of Kms at the test is based on Championship points. My theory is that the teams are at these tracks already so very little extra cost, and they would give seat time to inexperienced drivers plus teams at the back would gain more knowledge than those at the front and would hopefully tighten up the racing.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
9/23/24 10:56 a.m.
Advan046 said:

The biggest hidden story of Ricciardo needing to move on is that Tsunoda has stood above all teammates over the last two seasons. I am still confused why he doesn't even get a minor mention for future seats?

I don't think it's a secret that Tsunoda is hard to work with, and the connection to Honda makes him somewhat singular market. However I think Lawson is overrated which I think keeps Tsunoda on the team for another year, and I don't see Alonso making him part of the "El Plan" at AM.

More rumors that Bottas is staying at Audi

triumph7
triumph7 Dork
9/24/24 12:13 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
kevlarcorolla said:

They've both had more then enough time/chances to prove they should be in the top 20 drivers in the world and are coming up very short.

The problem is the strict limits on testing.  New drivers don't get a chance to show what they can do, and drivers who already have experience in an F1 car are very important for feedback/development even if they aren't fast enough to win races.

I've been saying that for years.  Junior drivers don't get any transition experience and the lower teams don't get to advance their cars.  I say let them test, let them have all the engines and gearboxes they want.  DO simplify the aero by getting rid of all the winglets, vanes and such but give them two two-element (1 front, 1 rear)  wings of so many square feet and two relatively simple floors (1 low speed, 1 high speed). 

To be honest, they could lose the hybrid system with all that weight and allow engine developemnt through the season.  And, while we're considering changes that will never happen, maybe consider what the fans really want... and it's not sustainable carbon footprint diversity, etc, etc,etc.  We want to see the best drivers in the world driving the fastest, lightest cars in the world on real race tracks.  Bloated cars that barely fit on some super tight street circuit are no bueno.  Also not a huge fan of the sprint races.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/24/24 12:19 a.m.

In reply to triumph7 :

Did you just invent F2? 

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
9/24/24 10:30 a.m.

They could award one point to the fastest lap of cars that finish in the top 10 only to eliminate what happened Sunday.  I think I saw a comment from Horner that Danny gets bonus money for fastest laps, if that's the case then why haven't they pitted for softs at the end of every GP since they are never in the points anyway?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/24/24 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Region_Rat :

Horner is team principal for Red Bull Racing. How does he factor in to bonus a driver from another team?  

Will Wolfe give Albon a bonus for FTD?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
9/24/24 11:25 a.m.
Region_Rat said:

They could award one point to the fastest lap of cars that finish in the top 10 only to eliminate what happened Sunday.  I think I saw a comment from Horner that Danny gets bonus money for fastest laps, if that's the case then why haven't they pitted for softs at the end of every GP since they are never in the points anyway?

The point for fast lap is fairly artificial/luck-of-the-draw with the current tire rules anyway.  It's pretty routine for someone who gets to the end of the race with a 20-30 second gap behind him to pit for new tires and take it, even if his performance has been unexciting for the entire race.

62 63 64

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sEtUav1BBiivorNhPdalF1FEQIjEdPyhcYnKwoxYTA4Kqo6ZGuet5Upo6rcyQlc7