1 2
Ashyukun
Ashyukun HalfDork
10/25/13 12:22 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Vigo wrote: I really ought to build the cool stuff i already have before i go buying anything else, but my plans for things i intend to own currently include a Maserati TC (yep), a Boxster, and a Ferrari Mondial.
You really hate yourself don't you?

At least it wasn't a Maserati BiTurbo (which I will somewhat ashamedly admit if I ever come across a decent, cheap convertible of I would probably snag for the lulz myself...).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/25/13 12:25 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: For me? A 911
Not that it matters, but FWIW, what I think would be fun is to make as late as possible air cooled 911 have the look of the early Carraras- the ones with the small duck billed spoiler. I'm not a whale tail fan. A narrow body with the simple spoiler. That would be cool. The only other car *might* be a Lotus 7, but it's more 'not' than 'is'. Nothing else to add but that tangent.

I thought the same thing about the whale tail until I bought my 964 that has one. In person they really are perfect for that vintage car. Everyone should own a 911 at some point.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/25/13 9:56 p.m.

Hmm, cars I would like to own?

Mercedes 300td (w124) and 350SD(swb Gen 2 w126 diesel, they are somewhat rare). Range rover and/or Mercedes 300GD. Aston martin Lagonda Maserati Quattroporte (probably the QPIII, but id take any of them). Maserati Biturbo Ferrari 308 gt4 or mondial. Ferrari 400i. Citroen SM Jaguar XJS, XKR, XJR-6 Saab 9-3 or 9-5 (one of the newer ones, kinda boring compared to the other stuff I mentioned but I like how they look). Fiat 850 based abarth (preferably a 1300 coupe, but any would be fine.

Yup, I like some strange stuff lol.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/25/13 10:19 p.m.

I know it's "wrong wheel drive" but every real car guy should own a lightly-modified Honda CRX Si at some point. It's a Miata-like experience in a car that will also keep your bike out of the weather. Plus it's probably the lightest truly modern car on the list.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/26/13 1:06 a.m.

I would say a midengined lightweight car like a AW11 MR2. If you want to own a unique type of car and have a unique driving experience it would be that. I would say one of those, or a car like it, is a HAVE to own.

I would personally go W30 MR2 with 2ZZ swap than AW11 but AW11s are just so cheap though.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/26/13 8:33 a.m.

In reply to kanaric:

Good suggestion, the AW11 was the first car on Ashyukun's "have to own" list in the first post!

Is the 2ZZ the motor that was in the "hot" Toyota Matrix? How tough is that to put in a W20? I've always wanted a 20 valve AW11 but 180hp in a ZZW30 could do the trick!

jcp907
jcp907 New Reader
10/26/13 9:53 a.m.

For me the list has included

A Suburban

70 Chevelle

1st Gen Camaro

2nd Gen Camaro

E39 M5

1st Gen RX7

S10 Blazer

S10 Pickup

On the wish list

C5 Vette-perhaps a C7 instead, if I wait long enough

66 GTO Convertible

E9x M3

2015 Mustang

For the wife, 70 Convertible Vette (she never had inexpensive taste)

AWD Turbo Car

Crossover-utility for the wife

A Much larger garage/workshop/storage space

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/26/13 1:49 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Vigo wrote: I really ought to build the cool stuff i already have before i go buying anything else, but my plans for things i intend to own currently include a Maserati TC (yep), a Boxster, and a Ferrari Mondial.
You really hate yourself don't you?

Oh man, i busted out laughing when i saw this. Maybe i do. I end up taking everything i own most of the way apart at some point anyway. Doing it on the front end isnt such a big deal if the price is right. That's why there are $4k Boxsters and $14k Ferraris. Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

naparsei
naparsei New Reader
10/26/13 7:28 p.m.

I've owned a bunch of great cars, but in terms of what I'd like to own in the future: 550 Maranello 70s Euro Carrera Targa Open 356 e30 M3

On my "most want to drive" list: Alfa GTV Lambo Miura (if I'd fit!), and ASA

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/26/13 9:22 p.m.

I saw something on the way home that jogged my memory.

Add NSX to my list.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/27/13 7:29 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: For me? A 911
I have been blessed with some cool cars that I've owned. But that is one that still is in the back of my head. From the basic 911T up to the cool retromods, they are still appealing for some reason to me. I guess it's time to suck up to my cousin. Maybe she's ready to part with her '89 911. that was a fun car to drive. Not that it matters, but FWIW, what I think would be fun is to make as late as possible air cooled 911 have the look of the early Carraras- the ones with the small duck billed spoiler. I'm not a whale tail fan. A narrow body with the simple spoiler. That would be cool.

Quoted for truth, and a pat on the back to Alfadriver for apparently sharing some of my DNA in the family tree somewhere, because I agree right down to the ducktail (You know what they say...big wing, short shifter). Those cars are not easy to drive, but so rewarding when you get it right.

They are poorly built and frequently a PITA, but an original Mini really needs to be on the list. Fun, fun, fun, and chicks dig them.

An old pickup, at least pre-1970.

Something with a turbo.

An Italian car from the 1970s or preferably before. With a proper exhaust system. You'll cuss at it, but when it's running right you'll forget how badly skinned your knuckles are.

Something with an American V8, again with a proper exhaust.

A GC8 Subaru Impreza. In the snow, or on gravel. Maybe just for a little while, but it will be fun.

An A1/A2 VW Golf or Jetta, to remind you that VW once made fun cars that didn't constantly need the CE light reset.

A Jeep CJ or Wrangler.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gWijiEw9CkxQL7JzFKYaTfYusoP3yr31Ce4RNPHO7eFBc0skfuRmPl8HEyTYaKZ6