1 2 3
81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro New Reader
8/10/11 11:36 a.m.

A lot of gas stations do this, since they don't know how much gas you are buying. The local Kroger has signs saying not to use gift cards at the pump due to the preauthorization will prevent you from accessing the remaining money. $100 does seem a bit high, usually it is $75.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/10/11 11:38 a.m.

sadly, this is not uncommon. I used to know a guy who would get gas on his card knowing it was low on cash because he knew it would take a day or two for the station to process it.

because of people like him, they put massive holds on cards now

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/10/11 11:44 a.m.

I can understand that, but it should be limited to the value of the product sold.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/10/11 11:44 a.m.

How long is the hold and/or what if the guy forgets to pull it off?

I've never heard of it, but then again I just put $100 in a truck only because the pump automatically stops at $100. Who knew?

Dan

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/10/11 11:47 a.m.

I've had a hold on my account from a Shell station. I believe it was significantly more, IIRC.

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
8/10/11 11:54 a.m.

If you run a debit card as credit it shouldn't put a hold on it.

At least thats what I do and have never had a problem with it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/10/11 11:54 a.m.

wowzers...its only $1 here...I hope it doesnt jump up that way...I often float my gas overnight, buying $60 on thursday, but only having maybe $20 in the account, knowing my deposit will go in on Friday morning. I only put x% of my paycheck into my checking, rest to savings...if the c note practice goes into effect around here, Im gonna have to switch a few things...

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/10/11 11:59 a.m.
EvanB wrote: If you run a debit card as credit it shouldn't put a hold on it. At least thats what I do and have never had a problem with it.

She did.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
8/10/11 12:03 p.m.

We simply need to deregulate banking and let the market work it's magic.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
8/10/11 12:08 p.m.
Woody wrote: I can understand that, but it should be limited to the value of the product sold.

The problem is they need to put the hold in place before they know how much product you're buying. That is, when using pay at the pump. You swipe your card, it authorizes it and puts a hold of $x on the account. You pump the $20 worth of gas and finalize the sale - then they actually process the $20 as a sale. The pump will shut off if it reaches $x since that's all they know the account is good for. The hold will expire, typically within 24 hours.

All pay at the pump transactions are handled this way nowadays. Paying inside, for a specific amount of gas, will eliminate the hold. How the bank handles the hold depends on the bank and on your relationship with the bank. Some banks will do what your daughter's did, some will go ahead and allow it to clear and if the hold gets charged for the full amount will then put the account into overdraft - with associated fees, of course!

@4cylndrfury: That's more ballsy than I am with the float! For the $.00001 potential reward, I'm not willing to risk the potential fees. I always leave a comfortable cushion in my checking account.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/10/11 12:19 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

worst case scenario, my checking acct will auto-draw from savings before I bounce, so Im good. It just saves me the hassle of doing a manual transfer myself. I suppose a few minutes of non-lazy on my part would remedy the situation equally as well

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/10/11 12:23 p.m.

This has been normal practice for years, to the best of my knowledge.

I understand why it's there. Otherwise what's to stop Joe Schmoe from having $5 in his account, pumping $100 worth of gas, and then bouncing?

The pumps have no way of telling current balance available to the card. They just throw an arbitrary number in there, if it's approved, then you pump. True amount is adjusted on the back end

Now the question is... is the bank going to hit her for an overdraft fee?

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/10/11 12:30 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I understand why it's there. Otherwise what's to stop Joe Schmoe from having $5 in his account, pumping $100 worth of gas, and then bouncing?

Morality?

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/10/11 12:30 p.m.
Woody wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I understand why it's there. Otherwise what's to stop Joe Schmoe from having $5 in his account, pumping $100 worth of gas, and then bouncing?
Morality?

I'm crying over here!!!!!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/10/11 12:31 p.m.

in a typical month (probably in the vicinity of at least 2k individual gas sales at most gas stations), how often do you think that happens? 3 times? 5? MAAAAaaaayybe even 20? But really, how much protection does the corner terror-mart really need? Sounds like most financial "guidelines" currently standing out there ...screw a bazillion suckers to protect a few businesspeople, and call it industry standard so you dont have to change. Nice...

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/10/11 12:35 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
in a typical month (probably in the vicinity of at least 2k individual gas sales at most gas stations), how often do you think that happens? 3 times? 5? MAAAAaaaayybe even 20? But really, how much protection does the corner terror-mart really need? Sounds like most financial guidelines currently standing out there in capitalismland...screw a bazillion suckers to protect a few businesspeople, and call it industry standard so you dont have to change. Nice...

I fail to see who is actually getting screwed, here... Nobody is getting overcharged.

You're saying it's NOT okay for the gas station owner to protect his investment in any way that he can?

Look, i don't like the fact that every time i get gas, i get a $75 hold when filling up a car that i've never been able to put more than $40 in either... But what's a better solution?

Also interesting.... what's the deal with calling them the "Terror-mart?"

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/10/11 12:37 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: You're saying it's NOT okay for the gas station owner to protect his investment in any way that he can?

I'm saying that its not okay for the gas station owner to protect his investment with my investment.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/10/11 12:40 p.m.
Woody wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: You're saying it's NOT okay for the gas station owner to protect his investment in any way that he can?
I'm saying that its not okay for the gas station owner to protect his investment with *my* investment.

That, i can roll with.

But what's the better FEASIBLE option? (Not trolling, i legitimately can't come up with one)

You could always prepay, which is essentially what you're doing anyways.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/10/11 12:41 p.m.

Moral to this story is don't use a debit card.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/10/11 12:44 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I fail to see who is actually getting screwed, here... Nobody is getting overcharged.

True, no one is ultimately getting hosed in this specific transaction.

BUT... your money is now locked up, and as happened to this girl, she cannot now eat because she no longer has access to her own money. True, it will be "fixed" later, but right now, she's out of money and hungry.

And if you've got an account with the likes of BOA, they would hit her account for a declined fee when that store that she tried to buy lunch from hit her account. They will charge her for every attempt.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/10/11 12:47 p.m.

Use a credit card. Problem solved. Debit cards are a bad idea in the first place.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/10/11 12:50 p.m.

When it happened to me, I was using it as credit card. I just stopped going to Shells and haven't run into that again.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
8/10/11 1:03 p.m.

Or, walk yourself into the store and buy a specific amount of gas.

"I need 10 bucks on pump #3" means the pump shuts off at $10.00.
Inserting your card means "I'm not sure how much I'm going to take", so they guess at $100. (Or $80.00 around here, but you get my point.)

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/10/11 1:10 p.m.

Whenever I'm low on money, I work primarily with cash

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/10/11 1:14 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Or, walk yourself into the store and buy a specific amount of gas.

A sensible plan, to be sure. But how often are you able to say "I need specifically $36.87 to fill my tank"?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x0oqXjeOUW3CSxBdDaootCyxiRqdRl5ZehLeYgHu8hGm4gS2S8WTuejNzz67zu2Y