1 2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/27/15 8:40 a.m.

Specifically, THIS

Simple, easy to fix, parts available, seats 6 in a pinch, and it will appreciate as I drive... Right? RIGHT?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
2/27/15 8:45 a.m.

Turrible gas mileage and no cup holders? I'd do it.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
2/27/15 8:50 a.m.

Do it!

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork

Your wedding tackle would get slapped by the steering wheel cross bar, if not completely hung up in it.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork

no reason at all. Looks like a fun ride. I've commuted in my 72 LTD in the past and it did great....my commute is 36 miles each way with 75% of that interstate.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/27/15 8:52 a.m.

There's something quite wrong about the seat/steering wheel relationship there. ^

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/27/15 8:54 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: Your wedding tackle would get slapped by the steering wheel cross bar, if not completely hung up in it.

This is honestly the most serious argument anyone on GRM has given against an awesome vehicle.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/27/15 8:56 a.m.

optical occlusion or adjust the seat?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/27/15 8:57 a.m.

I'm not going to give you any reason not to DD it. May I recommend it would look awesome on some wide Weld/Diamond etc Black steel circle track tires with reasonably tall/wide tires and a loud exhaust?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
2/27/15 8:58 a.m.

302 seems pretty underwhelming in a yacht like this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/27/15 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

And huge sway bars, of course.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/27/15 9:08 a.m.

I'd be worried about those patches of Bondo that mysteriously go unmentioned in the ad.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
2/27/15 9:12 a.m.

Smaller steering wheel or tilt column if it truly is as bad as it looks. Needs a 4 or 5 speed. Sand & rattle can the bondo, leave the wheels as is. This thing is great!! Never seen one with a manual trans, wonder if its factory?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/27/15 9:19 a.m.

Those seats have lots of springy-cushiony comfort. You'd sink into them enough that the steering wheel position wouldn't be a problem I'd think.

Cool, interesting machine that would make for a fun DD. Although it won't get any cheaper, I wouldn't think it would appreciate much either. Just drive it and have fun. Bench seats are fantastic.....especially for the ladies!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/27/15 9:19 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: And huge sway bars, of course.

Absolutely

In reply to 2002maniac:

Those old land yachts aren't as heavy as you think.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
2/27/15 9:32 a.m.

Definitely needs tiny bass boat style steering wheel for wedding tackle safety. Rock it!

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
2/27/15 9:32 a.m.

Because a Bagged wagon Is better.....

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/27/15 9:34 a.m.

Aside from getting the fuel mileage of a Suburban pulling a box trailer in high winds? No reason.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
2/27/15 9:46 a.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/27/15 10:50 a.m.

Gutless, lousy mileage, and rust. The first two are fixed pretty easily with an efi 5.0 or 5.8 swap, an overdrive trans and a set of 3.91's. The last is probably something you will have to live with.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 10:54 a.m.

I live with a Cutlass. I approve of this potential purchase. On a side note, when will the next update on the Catalina Safari come out?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/27/15 11:23 a.m.

Cammed up 351 w/ 4-speed minimum. Flat black dip everything plus window tint.... Sinister mofo. Go play rum-runner ftw.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
2/27/15 11:38 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Gutless, lousy mileage, and rust. The first two are fixed pretty easily with an efi 5.0 or 5.8 swap, an overdrive trans and a set of 3.91's. The last is probably something you will have to live with.

My DDs are typically gutless and rusty. How bad does the collective think for fuel economy? I should at least be in the double digits right?

I don't know, for whatever reason I really like sedans from this era. It would at least SOUND way better than my current DD's 22re sharting through a Ducati muffler

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/27/15 11:48 a.m.

Right now I'm dailying a 300TD non turbo. I can guarantee you it will be faster than that.

It will sound good, look awesome, be fun as hell and probably return 15 mpg combined. I had a '74 Plymouth with an automatic, 2 barrel 318, and used to get 18 to 20 on the highway. I remember one run down to Florida, in the middle of the night, running 90-100 most of the way and still getting 16.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Dork
2/27/15 11:55 a.m.

Hmmm... The 302 from the early smog era was rated (SAE) at 140hp. The 4 barrel probably adds about 20hp or so. The 3 speed might help with fuel economy but it really depends on the rear end. I'm guessing that this is pretty much the standard Torino but with the optional 302.

I'm guessing very low double digits or high single digits for fuel economy depending on running condition.

At least Hurst makes a nice shifter for the 3 speed

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jiqfd0ATZHStB1JivSDTi6mOfvlaloQ87EBKFAIv2yYxl77kAnwmbvdaJ7Sxt7z0