irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/23 3:00 p.m.

After yet another minor electrical issue due to my decade's worth of janky wiring in the rally car, i suppose it's time to actually built a legitimate fuse/relay center for all powered accessories. As this is a rally car, needs to be pretty weatherproof and vibration-proof. I'm pretty mediocre at electrical/wiring so bonus points if it's something where the inputs (from switch or senders) and outputs (to accessory) are already wired as a pigtail.

- not for the car/engine stock wiriring; this is only for accessories like electric fan, multiple aux/rally lights, horn, and other relatively high-load stuff.

- prefer not to drop $500 or whatever for something too crazy, but seeing if there's something in a more moderate price range (say, half that).

- need 4-5 total relay'd outputs. 

- considering mounting it interior to dash bar for easy access/weather protection, so somehting that would mount like that is a bonus too. 

So, any suggestions are welcome

iansane
iansane Dork
8/28/23 3:16 p.m.

I just used this on a swap car.

https://www.waytekwire.com/product/eaton-s-bussmann-series-31s-001-0-ssvec-power?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7GnBhDXARIsAFLvH4mr7e_3TBXsy0bnnh_ZfC4HHVCdQBwlsDoZAj5ex4-MnRxOIzrbZMgaAo1LEALw_wcB

I got confused at first because the relays are fused by unit itself so you only get a few extra circuits. Also, after plugs/pins it's on the high side of your proposed budget.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
8/28/23 3:45 p.m.

I have a couple older car projects where, when I get to them, I have picked up an OEM relay and fuse box for very little $$$. Boxes from late 90s - early 00s seem to have the number of relays, 4 - 5, I wanted.

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
8/28/23 4:21 p.m.

The littelfuse stuff is good, too. this seems like a good value with all in for what you're looking for: https://www.waytekwire.com/catalog/power-distribution/power-distribution-modules/littelfuse-lfmx0007z-01-miniflec-series 

can't go wrong with either LF or eaton, really. check out connector options and see what you like.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/29/23 12:21 a.m.

I'd go to a junkyard and scour Japanese cars.  Nissans of various types seem to be the most common to have small relay/fuse boxes underhood, but who knows what you might find.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/29/23 8:51 a.m.

I use these by Blue Seas. They are available in 4 to 12 circuits and several footprints. They are designed for marine applications and will take a pretty good pounding. All the metal in them is stainless steel so under hood mounting doesn't end up as a mass of corrosion. They also have ground terminals in case you are running dedicated grounds. The covers keep everything covered. 

This one is under the hood of the Samurai. 

This one is actually in a boat. 

20220514_153410.jpg

obsolete
obsolete Dork
8/29/23 11:22 a.m.

Look up the Eaton Bussmann 15300 series. Here's an excellent how-to thread with all the information you need to build one up: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy-build-and-install-a-bussmann-rtmr-fuse-relay-block.399454/

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
8/29/23 2:55 p.m.

Dittto on the Blue Seas line

Used them on bikes, boats and restored NASCAB Busch RR Car

West Marine normally has them in stock

GL

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/29/23 3:05 p.m.
obsolete said:

Look up the Eaton Bussmann 15300 series. Here's an excellent how-to thread with all the information you need to build one up: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy-build-and-install-a-bussmann-rtmr-fuse-relay-block.399454/

Big fan of these

8/29/23 4:19 p.m.

thanks for all the responses - will look into all of them!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/29/23 4:28 p.m.
8/30/23 10:54 p.m.
obsolete said:

that's an excellent writeup, though as someone who sucks at/dislikes electrical stuff, my head may explode from all the different parts required lol....

8/30/23 11:03 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I use these by Blue Seas. They are available in 4 to 12 circuits and several footprints. They are designed for marine applications and will take a pretty good pounding. All the metal in them is stainless steel so under hood mounting doesn't end up as a mass of corrosion. They also have ground terminals in case you are running dedicated grounds. The covers keep everything covered. 

This one is under the hood of the Samurai. 

This one is actually in a boat. 

20220514_153410.jpg

yeah I have one like that in the Raider, but I'd prefer something with a main bus and relays all in one for the rally car, if possible.

8/30/23 11:06 p.m.
ralleah said:

The littelfuse stuff is good, too. this seems like a good value with all in for what you're looking for: https://www.waytekwire.com/catalog/power-distribution/power-distribution-modules/littelfuse-lfmx0007z-01-miniflec-series 

can't go wrong with either LF or eaton, really. check out connector options and see what you like.

Since you ACTUALLY know what you're doing (unlike me, who would need to watch 20 hours of youtube vids...), any interest in building one for me - in exchange for past and likely future rallycross co-driving? ;) Of course, I'd pay for it. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
8/30/23 11:53 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

...being that it is rally use and there is a co-driver, is there an advantage to making some of the more critical circuits have a breaker rather than a fuse?...

Fuses and breakers both protect system wiring. If something shorts out, the fuse/breaker opens to protect the wiring, possibly preventing a fire. In the case of breakers, having the ability to power up the failed circuit again is a very mixed blessing. Without changing anything, powering the circuit back up will very likely melt the wire(s) and may well melt all the surrounding wires as well. The only outlying situation where it can work is in the case of a very intermittent failure.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/14/23 10:02 a.m.

2011 Highlander

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
9/14/23 2:15 p.m.

Since a Class 11 (VW Bug) off road car is not unlike a rally car this may be sort of useful.

The co-driver, who has access to the glove box, was the one who operated the lights etc. The glove box is pretty useless in a race so we repurposed it.

The glove box door was drilled to accept the various switches the co needed to operate. We got an aftermarket plastic insert which became the box for our power tap, fuses and relays (IIRC). If a fuse would have been needed to be changed or bypassed the co could do so still belted into his seat. All he had to do was open the glove box door.

We sealed the box to keep as much dirt out as possible. There are about 6 switches on the box door nicely spaced and with room for more.

I can’t access the car for a pic but here is what the VW glove box and insert looks like.

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
9/14/23 3:03 p.m.

I am also a big fan of anything from Blue Sea, highly recommend them

9/17/23 8:48 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

Since a Class 11 (VW Bug) off road car is not unlike a rally car this may be sort of useful.

The co-driver, who has access to the glove box, was the one who operated the lights etc. The glove box is pretty useless in a race so we repurposed it.

The glove box door was drilled to accept the various switches the co needed to operate. We got an aftermarket plastic insert which became the box for our power tap, fuses and relays (IIRC). If a fuse would have been needed to be changed or bypassed the co could do so still belted into his seat. All he had to do was open the glove box door.

We sealed the box to keep as much dirt out as possible. There are about 6 switches on the box door nicely spaced and with room for more.

I can’t access the car for a pic but here is what the VW glove box and insert looks like.

Hah, if only I had a glovebox, but that's a cool idea. We actually have the 3 main drivetrain relays mounted in front of the codriver and my plan will be to put a fuse/relay box somewhere in that vicinity. I have a dash bar so can mount things there :)

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
9/17/23 10:29 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Hah, if only I had a glovebox, but that's a cool idea. 

What car doesn't have a glovebox?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/17/23 11:17 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

The one where it's been deleted or already repurposed.

9/19/23 8:55 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

A rally car that doesn't still have that side of the dash :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZGYH7kfq6b3nqV4QZSbKNePZhoDufM2lLhJQ6AlIBmKV3mLFwlb3mQO0dW5uRCI1