1 2
dean1484
dean1484 Dork
6/2/09 8:39 p.m.

And stumbled on this;

http://www.turbothunderbird.com/pics.php

I know it is wrong on many levels but I am still fascinated by it.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
6/2/09 8:56 p.m.

Am I the only one who found the Gates "LOL" hose (3rd pic from the bottom) to be funny?

-Rob

Toyman01
Toyman01 Reader
6/2/09 9:11 p.m.

There is a company that sells something similar to that.

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

After looking at the site, looks like the same company.

knb13
knb13 New Reader
6/2/09 9:32 p.m.

it's not wrong... i like it alot!

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/2/09 9:46 p.m.

Actually a really cool concept I believe they (sts) make them for a lot of applications. Tons of plumbing though.

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
6/2/09 10:37 p.m.

I must say that it is a very interesting idea. I can see many of the advantages of doing it this way. I am scaring my self here as I am actually warming up to this concept. The only thing I don't understand is that they claim that lag is not an issue. If this the case I could see me doing something like this. I am surprised that a variant of this has not made a showing at a challenge event.

Brust
Brust Reader
6/2/09 10:47 p.m.

I think lag is only not an issue because we are talking about american v8 engines, where max torque is extracted somewhere near idle. The turbo simply adds a bit of top-end to the equation, which the majority of these engines are lacking. I don't see these working really well on a Japanese 4 cylinder. (to improve low end- it'll work like a centrifugal supercharger I'm guessing).

pres589
pres589 New Reader
6/2/09 10:48 p.m.

My most & least favorite picture;

http://www.turbothunderbird.com/nats0416.jpg

ponycarman
ponycarman New Reader
6/2/09 11:24 p.m.
pres589 wrote: My most & least favorite picture; http://www.turbothunderbird.com/nats0416.jpg

HeHe! I love that! It look bad but I'm sure it works. I like the rear mounted turbo design. It get all that heat out of the engine bay. I remember reading that they can limit the turbo lag by changing the cold side piping to a small size. The only thing I don't like about the rear mounts is that even with waterproof filter cap, if you drive it in the rain and though some puddles, it with bog the engine down.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
6/2/09 11:42 p.m.
ponycarman wrote:
pres589 wrote: My most & least favorite picture; http://www.turbothunderbird.com/nats0416.jpg
HeHe! I love that! It look bad but I'm sure it works. I like the rear mounted turbo design. It get all that heat out of the engine bay. I remember reading that they can limit the turbo lag by changing the cold side piping to a small size. The only thing I don't like about the rear mounts is that even with waterproof filter cap, if you drive it in the rain and though some puddles, it with bog the engine down. Plumb you filter into the trunk, then add a functional "trunk scoop". Harwood might offer you some cash for the naming rights
Raze
Raze Reader
6/3/09 6:17 a.m.

The key to the whole remote mount is properly sizing the turbine since by the time it reaches the tailpipe is several hundred degrees cooler (in most cases) and thus the volume of the exhaust gases has been reduced. The overall flow rate is still roughly the same (accounting for some thermal losses) but you need a smaller turbine on the same size compressor wheel. As long as that's accomplished, the extra plumbing doesn't add much to the intake volume such that it adds an appreciable amount of lag. As an exercise do a volume calc of 3" return pipe at 15' length (overestimate) and add it to a decent sized intercooler volume, you'll see it's not as big as you think...

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/3/09 7:49 a.m.

from what i understand intercooling is unneeded due to the length of the plumbing, charged air has plenty of time to cool off before it gets to the intake.

phillyj
phillyj Reader
6/3/09 8:03 a.m.

why? Was there lack of space in the engine bay?

EricM
EricM HalfDork
6/3/09 8:47 a.m.

That needs more tubing

snipes
snipes New Reader
6/3/09 8:47 a.m.

So is this a scavenge pump? The proper oil pump seems to be the hard/expensive part to me. It should have a small reservoir after the turbo. like this..

Raze
Raze Reader
6/3/09 11:10 a.m.

you'll def need a scavenge pump, a bunch of DIY remote mount turbo'd cars run some pump that's under $100 and is designed for high oil temps and continuous load, some googling around the net will turn up the make/model...

slefain
slefain Dork
6/3/09 12:40 p.m.

I keep having this terrible thoughts of doing a setup like this on my Passat wagon. There is a HUGE open well in the back wheel well area that would be perfect. Tons of room to run the piping. It's the oil pump that seems the $$$ part. I'd like to know the model/type for the pump.

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
6/3/09 3:30 p.m.

I was actually thinking of running a self contained oiling system. I would get about a 2 quart resivwar and one of the self contained flexlite coolers that have a fan built in.

Something like this:

Put it in the rear quarter with a small inlet scoop and a outlet at the bottom at the rear and viola. The only issue would be the pump. What about a fuel pump that has the voltage cut to say 6 volts. I would use supper high grade high detergent synthetic oil since it will not see the heat associated with a Front mount turbo I bet it would be adequate. I also suspect with you probably don't need any supplemental liquid cooling.

Ok this is a problem I am actually starting to engineer this now.

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
6/3/09 3:42 p.m.
stefani wrote: I keep having this terrible thoughts of doing a setup like this on my Passat wagon. There is a HUGE open well in the back wheel well area that would be perfect. Tons of room to run the piping. It's the oil pump that seems the $$$ part. I'd like to know the model/type for the pump.

I am also. the muffler on a 924s / 944 is huge and has a very nicely heat shielded cavity that I could easily put the turbo in and a weather shield over. I wounder if I could gut a muffler and put a turbo in it.

I like the idea of running the intake plumbing up into a fender/quarter. This is how the stock intake on a NA 944 is. It pulls air from inside the fender in front of the front tire

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
6/3/09 3:49 p.m.

Ive seen the remote mounted turbo setup on a C5 Z06 before, faster than snot... may have a picture somewhere of it...

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
6/3/09 5:11 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: The only issue would be the pump. What about a fuel pump that has the voltage cut to say 6 volts. I

Wouldn't it be easier to drop the amperage rather than the volts? Leave it at 12 volts, install a resistor in-line to reduce the amps and the pump would work slower.

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
6/3/09 5:52 p.m.

Or just put a regulator with a bypass set to a fixed PSI and let the pump rip.

Wait I could do this with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. As boost comes up so does the oil pressure. Low / No boost and it gets a low/minimum oil pressure. An oil on demand system based on boost.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
6/3/09 9:06 p.m.

I saw this a few years ago on a C10 Chevy P/U. I got it out of my head after about a year nd now you guys go and put it back in. Thanks alot.

Raze
Raze Reader
6/3/09 9:18 p.m.

Don't you need oil to get to a certain temp for proper lubrication, I suppose it would prolly depend on the turbo used more than anything and the oil you use, you might consider a high-flow inline oil filter just in case...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
6/3/09 9:27 p.m.

you know, googleing a term like that your lucky that you didnt turn up pictures of someone taking it up the poopchute with a turbo (if a picture of that exists FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT SHARE)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7kUdTDon9orwQeBQ03EmkTx90Eod03WE5PiM2nSjEOa69ugyD9QSNECZRzTLGO08