1 2 3 4 5
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/19/18 7:37 p.m.

This is fun to watch.

I'm mostly just happy that the VQ exhaust note doesn't have to be heard any more. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
3/19/18 8:00 p.m.

Yes, LOJ Conversions makes a kit for the Xterra....

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/19/18 8:07 p.m.

Furious_E,

We knew we wanted to do an LS swap into some popular car. Tom and I talked at length about this project and decided that at 24 years of age, like many of our readers, Tom managing a project with some professional help that was obtainable without millions of dollars and/or millions of hours of time figuring everything out, was the right way to go. We felt this project was obtainable for far more of our readers than the craziness we had originally talked about.

Don't worry, there will be much more to this project than just stuffing the engine in. Once everything is sorted, Tom plans to add power until things start to go wrong and that is when more engineering will really start to take place. 

Tom Suddard
3/19/18 8:09 p.m.

Weights:

VQ35(DE) Automatic Nissan 350Z drivetrain with accessories including exhaust manifolds (dry): 618.4 pounds.

Chevy LS1 with Tremec Magnum transmission, clutch, flywheel, bell housing, driveshaft yolk, all engine accessories and LOJ Conversions Mounts (dry): 597.8 pounds. This is without headers and a water pump, though, so add a few pounds there.

Long story short, we're going to be within a few pounds of the stock car's weight when all is said and done. Probably lighter, actually, since the exhaust won't be as heavy, the driveshaft will be a tad shorter, and we're ditching the stock air intake.

Tom Suddard
3/19/18 8:12 p.m.

And the Tremec Magnum weighs 131.4 pounds dry.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
3/19/18 8:41 p.m.

Whelp. Either the Nissan auto is one heavy beast or the internet is quite wrong about the VQ's lbs. Any chance you will weigh the vq alone?

Tom Suddard
3/19/18 9:36 p.m.

Sure, no problem, but not until we're back home. The engine/transmissions ride much better in the van when they're connected.

Tom Suddard
3/19/18 9:39 p.m.
secretariata said:

Are you going to make everything compatible/work with the canbus system? Meaning oem  gauges, ac, etc, with no check engine lights?

Yes. The LOJ Conversions kit includes a conversion module that does just that. Even the CANBUS A/C compressor control works.

Tom Suddard
3/19/18 9:45 p.m.

So, why this instead of a Corvette? Why do we do anything on this website when a new 911 is faster? This is fun, and should be able to whip JG's C5 Z06 when it's all done (#shotsfired). We're definitely doing a LSZ vs. Z06 comparison test. 

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I think a 350Z is a much, much cooler car than a C5. Plus the suspension is pretty darn good, too. It's also three inches narrower and 10 inches shorter than a C5.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/19/18 9:49 p.m.

.... I think a 350Z is a much, much cooler car than a C5. Plus the suspension is pretty darn good, too. It's also three inches narrower and 10 inches shorter than a C5.

And that right there is all the reason or logic I need.

Pete

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/19/18 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

"Because I wanted one like this" is the best reason to build something, even if in my mind, the C5 looks way better.

Thanks for posting the weights. I, too, wonder if the Nissan auto box is taking up some of that weight. Either way the 350Z is going to be a much better car when you're done.

So this will probably make the story, but what kind of rough estimate do you guys have for just the parts, and no labor, for this conversion? My wife likes the 350Z look also, and I like that engine.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/19/18 10:01 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

It's also three inches narrower and 10 inches shorter than a C5.

I want to see that comparison involve an autox.  Those dimensional differences could mean big slalom speed improvements, although I'm not sure the difference in width would remain so big once you go to large wheel/tire packages.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
3/19/18 10:04 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Yes, LOJ Conversions makes a kit for the Xterra....

I thought you were joking... Now I have bad ideas.  And 6spd frontier that is already in the driveway.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/19/18 10:28 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

This is fun, and should be able to whip JG's C5 Z06 when it's all done (#shotsfired).

I'm definitely farting in your office tomorrow.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/19/18 11:39 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Tom Suddard said:

This is fun, and should be able to whip JG's C5 Z06 when it's all done (#shotsfired).

I'm definitely farting in your office more tomorrow.

FTFY

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/20/18 12:02 a.m.

The only 350z ive driven hard had the doors off for bodywork and i feel that that added tremendously to my enjoyment. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/18 12:50 a.m.

I honestly believe that 99% of the people calling non-native-hell, even same brand engine swaps boring, have never even attempted anything remotely like it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/20/18 7:02 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is fun to watch.

I'm mostly just happy that the VQ exhaust note doesn't have to be heard any more. 

I seem to be the only one that likes the VQ engine noise. Especially the variant in the GT-R.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
3/20/18 7:15 a.m.

I think there was some guy in a street prepared 350Z that had 315mm Hoosiers all around.  When I had my Z, I was running 275s all around.  Even with their narrower width, they still can stuff a lot of tire under them. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/20/18 7:19 a.m.
z31maniac said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is fun to watch.

I seem to be the only one that likes the VQ engine noise. Especially the variant in the GT-R.

The only time I like the GTR is when the sounds of the turbos sucking in air overpower the exhaust noises. That's awesome. 

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
3/20/18 8:12 a.m.

Time to adapt the stock 350Z wiring harness to work with the new drivetrain. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/20/18 8:24 a.m.

First-World problems... whining about the boringness of an LS swap into a Nissan. I guess I never saw the logic in logging onto a thread just to complain about it. Much better use of time to just skip that one and move on.

If every modification/endeavor was approved or not based on the logic of it car-life would be BORING.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
3/20/18 8:31 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is fun to watch.

Lol.  I love the sound of an uncorked VQ.  But I also love the sound of an uncorked LS...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
3/20/18 8:44 a.m.

In reply to doc_speeder :

I liked the sound of the 350 and 370z with aftermarket exhaust, but I only ever heard it a little bit at a time. I'm not sure I would like to live with it.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
3/20/18 8:46 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Furious_E said:
Tim Suddard said:

Fantastic progress so far guys! I could get used to this watching progress happen without getting my hands dirty!

Seriously, watching what took me months to do happen in a matter of hours cheeky

This is what happens when you do a "boring" swap that's been thoroughly engineered by pros!

Mine WAS a pretty boring and well-developed swap lol (FC RX7). Budget was actually what dictated the pace of mine more than anything. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bmdfn8Dl8DyNo3ck6XH9eSqU3BSTB5C4AWAgwqKDa4Nl9MFTGDGj1Sx2FWMVBsRp