4 5 6 7 8
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/1/14 9:43 a.m.

That's weird... on Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Dolphin HD when I hit Latest Topics, the resulting thread titles all have a huge amount of post previews under them.

Another gripe that I dont think I caught in testing, and I apologize for that, Alan: I hate hate hate when you click a link on a forum and it redirects your current page instead of opening in a new tab. It's gotta be a forum setting, no other sites do this, and the old site didnt either.

Makes me close the forum tab every time.

Is it possible to ditch the post previews and just add a read/unread or a new post/no new post "button" in front?

fujioko
fujioko Reader
1/1/14 9:58 a.m.

I'm running windows XP SP3 and a current version of firefox.

The page formatting is all screwed up. The site is slow to load and is almost unusable.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/1/14 10:08 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I'm pretty sure you can turn off post previews in your personal settings. Am I the only one that just hits the new topics button out of habit, and just reads those? I also just right click and open in new tab, on all links.

Ah hah!!!! Yes! Ok the topic preview thing is gone, as well as the post preview.

Now i guess my only beef is the links opening in same window thing (Sure, right clicking is fine, but i've been conditioned by the other dozen forums to not need to do this), and the fact that i can only get a whopping 3 sentences in the "Your Comment" box when posting a new post, because of a combination of a large font and a needlessly small box. I'd say less than 1/8th of my screen is comment box. The rest is all just a bunch of dead space.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/1/14 10:58 a.m.

Oh that makes me happy! Don't know why that came back... site didn't do that before.

Well thanks Mr. Tech Support.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/1/14 10:59 a.m.

Wait, i just checked. This isn't functioning properly. Mine was and still is checked to open links in a new window. Still opens in same window, regardless of browser.

Did not do this prior to the re-design.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/1/14 11:11 a.m.

In the Simulation Central area, if you open a thread and use the bread crumb navigation (top of page) to go back to the topic listing, it goes back Off Topic not Simulation Central.

(Win 9, Chrome)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/1/14 11:15 a.m.

Whoa.... This is what's under each thread for me. Windows 7, Firefox.

Shouldn't this stuff be on the left side of the thread in that empty space that people are complaining about?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/1/14 11:39 a.m.

I haven't had time to go through all 6 pages here, so if this has already been discussed, sorry.

I miss having the shortcuts at the bottom of the page to the different sections of the forum. Otherwise it looks good and seems to be working for me.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
1/1/14 12:33 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Got my Win 8.1/Chrome problem fixed. I ended up clearing all my search history and cookies. It's now loading properly. Not bad looking over all. The only thing I would like to see is the jump buttons at the top of the post pages as well as the main forum page. It will take some getting used to after 5 years of the old look. David, the newest post is still the arrow to the far right for me. Good job so far, and once again thanks for putting up with us and giving us a place to hang out. It's appreciated even though we can be a bunch of whiny bastards.

yes it's still the newest post … but it's not the first unread post … (that was on the left of the thread in the past)

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
1/1/14 12:53 p.m.

New site looks very fresh. Though the old worked, it was almost dated looking. I also really like that the preview is below the post not to the right. Might make it interesting on larger posts, but for 95% of the time it's way more convenient below.

Only issues I've noticed are in the 'Rides' area. The page numbers and next page links don't always work in different filters. Also two of 'My Rides' are broken (Celica, Crown Vic). I had coding for a Streetfire.net video player in them, and I would guess that is what caused the problem. Since it is broken, I can't seem to find a way to edit them. If you can and are up to it, feel free to delete what is needed to get it working again.

Thanks

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
1/1/14 1:17 p.m.

Faster today, and the shop computer with a newer system formats the page better. I guess I need to update my home PC. Bye-bye XP, Hello 8.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
1/1/14 1:30 p.m.

For people having layout issues, particularly things appearing in the wrong place or overlapping, delete your temp files. Most likely, your system is caching old css.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/1/14 1:49 p.m.

Is me or am I the only one find NOTHING wrong with the new site. It is more readable it works better on my cell phone. It has seemed faster from the get go.

Something people may want to try is seeing if there are any .net updates for your computer and if so install them. I did this the other day due to another issue I was having with our on line time sheets for the office and it seems to have cleared up a lot of minor issues with computers in the office.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/1/14 2:17 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

The only thing I really miss is the navigation buttons. It's just the way I like to browse, I like to jump back and forth between the forums. Everything else looks good to me.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
1/1/14 2:19 p.m.
SVreX wrote: "...new skin on the same bones" is feeling a little like "if you like your health plan, you can keep it". This is painful. I think I'm gonna go away for a few weeks and give you guys some time to work on this. I know you are working really hard, and I appreciate the effort. It's just that the browsing experience is really unpleasant right now, and I don't think I have much more constructive to offer. I'm gonna give you some space. (no lack of love, but I'm gonna avoid putting smilies right now.) Happy New Year, guys! See you soon!

I think I'll follow Paul's idea … right now the new roll out is a bit of a PITA to use … I'll check back in a couple of weeks and see how things are going …

thanks for all the hard work you guys and gals put into giving us this forum to rant and rave and just generally make asses of ourselves

see y'all in a couple of weeks

wae
wae Reader
1/1/14 2:27 p.m.

Things were epically slow yesterday, but it seems fairly snappy now. Overall, I kind of like the new layout on windows 7 with Chrome, Nexus 4 with Chrome, and Nexus 10 with Chrome (both running Kit-Kat).

If I were king, I might change the "Votes, !, quote, reply" button bar to make it a little more compact? It just seems to take up a lot of real estate.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/14 3:08 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: For people having layout issues, particularly things appearing in the wrong place or overlapping, delete your temp files. Most likely, your system is caching old css.

Nope. Didn't help.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/14 3:11 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Something people may want to try is seeing if there are any .net updates for your computer and if so install them.

Nope. I'm on a Mac.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior New Reader
1/1/14 3:19 p.m.

I love the redesign. Easier to read... Much more modern looking. Responsive design in action. Nice work!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/14 3:22 p.m.

Here's the biggest...

All of the parent directories forum front pages layout reasonably well.

All of the sub-directories (like this one) layout terribly. The sidebar information (which should be in the white bar on the right) prints at the bottom of the forum page on the left, and squished.

I described it several pages ago, but Swank Force One posted the screenshot showing it:

Swank Force One wrote: Whoa.... This is what's under each thread for me. Windows 7, Firefox. Shouldn't this stuff be on the left side of the thread in that empty space that people are complaining about?

He's on Win7. I'm on a Mac OSX. He's using Firefox, I get the same thing with both Firefox and Safari.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/14 3:23 p.m.

...and I just got a 404 error when I tried to post that.

wae
wae Reader
1/1/14 5:55 p.m.

Two interesting bugs if you're interested in hearing about that sort of thing:

In this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/fiat-reaches-agreement-to-own-chrysler-100/76731/page1/#post1409181

The index page (latest topics) indicates that there is one more post than actually shows up.

On my phone (Nexus 4, Kit Kat, Chrome) the URL that appears in the first message isn't wrapping so it winds up throwing the formatting way off if I view it in portrait mode.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/1/14 7:03 p.m.

I've only seen it on my phone. Looks cool, but IMHO, there's either way too much info or way too large of a font for said info for each thread. This means less threads per page. I dunno. It's just "weird." Also, currently, the grey "ADD POST" box covers the bottom half of whatever I'm typing. This is annoying as crap.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/1/14 7:22 p.m.

Ahh...looks much better now than it did this morning. Thanks!

(I'm on a Mac using Safari 5.06 by the way.)

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/1/14 7:34 p.m.

I'd like to see "latest topics" "top rated" "new topics" & "your post" at the top of each sub forum page, not just the main forum page.

I still see signatures, and shouldn't, and links are still opening on the same page, instead of a new tab. Win 7 Firefox 26.0 (says "up to date").

Additionally, this may be unrelated, or I'm possibly blind, but I can't find the Challenge rules anywhere on the challenge page. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2014-challenge/

• Lee
4 5 6 7 8

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
SpV6fEMKwVICDKphxOjYsRUBEAFF6DxaUXVQRwX9p1uHOknUVnwWALcH7fQVA3Mr