Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
7/12/13 10:15 a.m.

That he had someone tell him that

he was saying something about placing a glass of water on the radiator cover and adjust the timing and watch the water levels of the glass i placed on there

^^^ Actual cut/paste from the IM convo about his truck. No bull E36 M3! I'm calling BS on this one. anyone else heard this one?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/12/13 10:18 a.m.

yea, that's old school so I'm told, never tried it, still trust my timing light.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/12/13 10:23 a.m.

He's, I think, trying to make it smooth out by looking at ripples? I guess it's not the most idiotic way I've heard.

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
7/12/13 10:30 a.m.

I guess... maybe back in the magneto days? dunno

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/12/13 10:31 a.m.

50s hot rodding, kinda makes sense, not calling BS here

I heard that story from enough old timers

one way to bust the myth, water glass and verify w/ timing light, go for it

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/12/13 10:32 a.m.

Used pro grade dial back lights are cheap.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/12/13 10:39 a.m.

If you're tuning a flathead in 1955...sure, makes since.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
7/12/13 10:41 a.m.

I don't know........ I'm not the oldest olde school guy here... but setting timing by ear and feel......

Its one thing to set a VWs (air cooled) points with a match book cover.... but when it comes to timing.... I've always used a light

jstand
jstand Reader
7/12/13 10:57 a.m.

I would guess you advance timing until the water starts to get rough and then turn it back until a regular pattern is present.

The water might pick up the vibration from knocking before you can hear it, but defintely not as accuraet as a timing light.

I would guess you advance timing until the water starts to get rough and then turn it back until a regular pattern is present.

Similar to using a Sirometer to set engine RPM.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
7/12/13 10:58 a.m.

I bet you could do worse, but I also think this is one of those things from automobilia wherein there's a "gut rightness" to the idea that doesn't necessarily align with what the engine really wants.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/12/13 11:02 a.m.

Certainly nowhere near as bad as the customer who's always telling me we should put mothballs in the tank of our race cars.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
7/12/13 11:05 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Is there any rationale handed down along with that pearl of wisdom, or is it just the done thing?

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
7/12/13 11:10 a.m.

raises octane supposidly

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
7/12/13 1:00 p.m.

Back in highschool auto shop, being able to balance a nickel on the air cleaner was worth extra credit. My buddy could balance a dime in his.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
7/12/13 1:11 p.m.
ransom wrote: In reply to poopshovel: Is there any rationale handed down along with that pearl of wisdom, or is it just the done thing?

STP fuel system cleaner is naphtha (mothballs) dissolved in kerosene, according to the MSD sheet.

The timing method assumes that the distributor has an advance curve that is calibrated for both the smoothest idle and best power at high RPM. If it was calibrated for lowest emissions at idle, all bets are off...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/12/13 1:42 p.m.

Wonder also if this is a variant on admiring how smooth an inline 6 runs when tuned right. There used to be various claims of being able to stand a nickel on edge on the air filter, and about a full glass of water not spilling a drop.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/12/13 2:06 p.m.

Waitaminit now... it might have some input on setting initial timing but prolly used more for setting idle mixture/ speed... keepin' it smooth ya know.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/12/13 2:38 p.m.

I suppose that could help you get the idle trims balanced on a V8.

Onetrillionrpm
Onetrillionrpm New Reader
7/12/13 7:30 p.m.

I use a vacuum gauge when timing something that has goofy or hard to read marks.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/14/13 11:42 p.m.
Onetrillionrpm wrote: I use a vacuum gauge when timing something that has goofy or hard to read marks.

i use a silver sharpie to make marks where they are easier to read..

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/15/13 10:54 a.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

White grease/paint crayon, rub it in the marks, wipe off with rag, boom, white timing marks. Cheaper than a sharpie and has a shelf life of about 10000 years, lives right next to the timing light in the tune up tool kit.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/15/13 11:10 a.m.

I place a can of beer on the fender and adjust it until it sounds good enough.

Sometimes, it takes a bunch of beers.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/15/13 11:27 a.m.
Woody wrote: I place a can of beer on the fender and adjust it until it sounds good enough. Sometimes, it takes a bunch of beers.

I use this method as well.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
7/15/13 11:39 a.m.

I work my magic, and adjust on it 'til it backfires thru the carburetor and fully singes my eyebrows and beard, then back off it off 1/10 turn.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
7/15/13 12:07 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: I work my magic, and adjust on it 'til it backfires thru the carburetor and fully singes my eyebrows and beard, then back off it off 1/10 turn.

That's like how they used to tune MR2 turbos: Crank up the boost, crank up the fuel to pig rich. Then start leaning it out until a chunk of one of the pistons goes out the exhaust port. Rich it up one notch and you're there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fu96AOeOOOmnUXQTiiEPMRcinSxgDyhnG5QGffZiQHM8PGILV1agRGNaYxEhuiCN