1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/1/11 5:37 p.m.
Will wrote: 968?

A friend has one as a daily. Sounds like he's still in love.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
3/1/11 5:42 p.m.

Any relatively clean M5, or a 540i. Both make fantastic highway cruisers, and are fun to drive. Does an E36 M3 classify as GT? It should: comfortable, refined enough, and a blast to drive.

I'll second the GTO: I've seen them here an there for under 10k. Outlier: 535i? Great "big" inline six, they're known for lasting indefinitely. Honestly, I didn't think my '92 C4 was that great a "GT car", but the seats were certainly comfy, and the mileage was stellar for the performance.

I'm pretty sure 10k will get you a REALLY nice 944. Probably a Turbo....

David S. Wallens
3/1/11 7:11 p.m.

If going 944, I'd also look at an S2. Pontiac GTO is interesting, too. There's definitely no shortage of torque. Looks like the 5.7-liter, six-speed car might meet your mpg requirements, too, as it's rated at 16/26.

And I assumed that we had to stick to two doors on this one.

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/1/11 7:39 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens: Two door four door it dont matter. I am going to have to peruse for a GTO, did not think that was possible. i have always liked 968 and 944s. Will they be another 914 and never be looked favorable upon?

David S. Wallens
3/1/11 7:48 p.m.

GTO is really neat. Not sure if it matters to you, but the back seat and trunk aren't exactly huge.

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
3/1/11 7:56 p.m.

I'm still loving my E36 M3 sedan. I'm dealing with a few high-mileage issues (173k) but it runs great and is a fun DD. No issues so far with the auto-tragic yet, knock on wood. The OBD shows an avg mpg of 25.

For 10k you should be able to find a much lower mileage one.

That said, if I had found an M5 for 10k, I'd be driving it now.

GTOs are all 2 door. You have to look to the G8 for more doors. There was an '04 GTO on my local CL for $9750 w/ 106k miles. I was very suspicious that it was a scam but it had a real phone # in the ad and the ad had text and pictures...not the all-picture ads that lead to a tiny URL thingy...you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, that listing is gone now. It was removed by the poster. I'm kicking myself for not calling but I have too many cars.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/1/11 7:59 p.m.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/2241230395.html

There are others closer to 10K, but I found this one first....bonus points for the license plate frame.

EricM
EricM Dork
3/1/11 8:01 p.m.

Toyota Solara? A guy I carpooled with in Houston had a 1999 with a 5 speed in it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/11 8:04 p.m.
EricM wrote: Toyota Solara? A guy I carpooled with in Houston had a 1999 with a 5 speed in it.

That is equivalent to herpes.

a401cj
a401cj Reader
3/1/11 8:12 p.m.

slightly used ZX-14 or Connie.

Cars are boring

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
3/1/11 8:13 p.m.

He said no Japanese cars, either.

However, in spite of that caveat, I will suggest the Lexus SC300 (2JZGE 3.0L I-6) and SC400 (1UZ-FE 4.0L V-8). They are basically cushy Toyota Supras and many of the hop-up parts for the Supra will fit. Both engines are bulletproof and powerful.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/1/11 8:21 p.m.
steelynorm wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: Two door four door it dont matter. I am going to have to peruse for a GTO, did not think that was possible. i have always liked 968 and 944s. Will they be another 914 and never be looked favorable upon?

Lesson 1: Berkeley what other people find "favorable". Don't worry about what you can sell it for down the road, buy something that you like to drive.

EDIT: $10K should be able to get you almost the cleanest US market BMW E24 or normally aspirated Porsche 944 in the world.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
3/1/11 8:31 p.m.
Keith wrote: E39 M5. Whoooo yeah.

quoted for ultimate truth. These are on my bucket list.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
3/1/11 8:52 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
EricM wrote: Toyota Solara? A guy I carpooled with in Houston had a 1999 with a 5 speed in it.

nope it has a 5spd <>= herpes.

1999 buick century = automotive herpes..

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/11 8:54 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
steelynorm wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: Two door four door it dont matter. I am going to have to peruse for a GTO, did not think that was possible. i have always liked 968 and 944s. Will they be another 914 and never be looked favorable upon?
Lesson 1: Berkeley what other people find "favorable". Don't worry about what you can sell it for down the road, buy something that you like to drive. EDIT: $10K should be able to get you almost the cleanest US market BMW E24 or normally aspirated Porsche 944 in the world.

10K is a pretty damn nice 944 Turbo...

6500 dollar 951

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/11 8:55 p.m.
steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/1/11 8:55 p.m.

In reply to mndsm: Show me e39 for 10k..... That would go to the top is the list

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
3/1/11 9:14 p.m.

My money would go to that Jag, especially if you could find one with that little ¨R¨ badge.

sanman
sanman New Reader
3/1/11 11:03 p.m.

Correct me if I am wrong, but an XJS coupe with a SBC or SBF already swapped in and running would run less than $10k.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/2/11 6:18 a.m.
sanman wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but an XJS coupe with a SBC or SBF already swapped in and running would run less than $10k.

Yes, but the OP also wanted fuel economy. A SBC pushing a fat chick 50 miles down the freeway? I would guess no.

Dan

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/2/11 6:47 a.m.
Ignorant wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
nope it has a 5spd <>= herpes. 1999 buick century = automotive herpes..

(Cue Javelin retching)

A V6 5spd Solara, while uncommon, is actually a pretty nice car. Yes, it's cushy and boring with stock suspension, but do a mild spring/strut setup and you've got a firm ride without beating you up, and they'll hustle on the twisties if you feel like it.

Power is good on them, though it's not about to rip your face off.

That said, if we're talking FWD, i'd be looking at the nicest 6spd Legend on the face of the earth.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/2/11 7:12 a.m.

I know you ruled out Japanese, but how about a 5 spd SVX?

You could get into mine (and make it perfect) for a lot less than your budget.

Super reliable, plenty of power, fits pretty much all the classic definitions of Grand Touring.

Mine has Koni suspension, performance clutch, lightweight flywheel, and of course AWD goodness.

SVXii are built better than most Japanese cars, lack turbos (so they are often not beaten on in the same manner, and have no turbo lag), and have the beautiful leather interiors designed for doctors and lawyers.

Just a thought...

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/2/11 7:17 a.m.

10 large can get you into an E46 too.. just not one with an M in the name... and even then, you might find one.

EricM
EricM Dork
3/2/11 8:29 a.m.

I know you said no Japanese, but that limits a whole bunch of great cars, though Autotragic, why not an IS300?

Funny how you said no 928s and everyone says OK get a 944! 944 is just a big a nightmare as a 928. I have and would again own both 944 and 928, but just because the 944 has 4 less cylinders does not make it any less trouble than a 928.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/2/11 8:40 a.m.

A Solara in the same thread as a Jag, a 928, a GTO, a Corvette, and numerous BMW's? Really?

Gotta keep up my job

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OvQ4WFRiYMPtE5TWHEJSbh9jYnhZmfSWI2lMfTWaTRJxZaLyVmDDk6IpaUzNNxal